Question about stitches - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2011, 01:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Question about stitches

So over a week ago Jinx got rushed to the emergency vet to get stitches in her back leg and they said in 10 days to take her to get them out well 10 days would be saturday so I'm wondering from the masses if it would be better to leave them in a few extra days til monday or taken out a day early?

Just a bit of a background since I know I'm on a forum asking medical questions... Jinx's "regular" vet on post sucks and can never see her for weeks sometimes even into the next month so I have been on the hunt for another vet to use as well (have to still go to on post and keep them UTD with her because we live on post) We have taken her to a few different vets but have had numerous issues to date so we really don't have a vet on call for this sort of thing quite yet and I REALLY don't want to go to the ER vet on a saturday just to remove the stitches. Any thoughts are appreciated just kind of trying to get the general feel on this one and I know there are a few vet techs on this board so would love the get their thoughts as well.
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2011, 01:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If the wound looks "good", and she doesn't bother the stitches or the wound area....you can leave them until Monday.
I have left stitches in a couple days past the "10 days recommendation"...no problems.....but many times (almost always) we remove the stitches ourselves.
*I am not recommending that you do so*.....just stating that we often do.
robinhuerta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2011, 01:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Hi there,
I would take them out a day early rather than a few days late. The wound should be healed well and they should be right to come out. If you leave them in longer they can get a bit ***** and irritating as the body is starting to react to them. The only other cosideration is wether you want the ER vet to remove them so he/she can see how it all healed up? but it sounds like it doesn't really matter.
sparra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2011, 02:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Robin and I were typing at the same time
I don't understand why it censored out p u s s y is that a swear word in America???
Old 09-09-2011, 02:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

most probable! LOL!
robinhuerta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2011, 02:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

:d:d:d
oh geeze......why didn't the grins come up.....I'm giving up....

Last edited by sparra; 09-09-2011 at 02:17 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

I always take out my dog's stitches on the 7th day. No problems even though the instructions state that they can come out between 7 and 10 days after the surgery.

As a personal experience, I picked up five rescue dogs in 2008 in Kansas and, about twelve hours later, when we arrived at a friend's home in Ohio, we realized that their spay stitches from five weeks previous had not yet been removed. My friend and I promptly took them out without incident. I also found a stray adult female Rottweiler in 1997 that had orange monofilament fishing line suture in her tail stub from heavens knows when and I was able to take it out without incident. It may have been in there for several years and I had no difficulties with that suture removal either.

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
WVGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2011, 10:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'd actually leave them in longer. I've seen incisions open back up even after 9-10 of sutures. I'd also not worry about going back to the vet and just take them out myself. If looks completely healed, take them out yourself tomorrow.
Isis vom Wildhaus KAB (kick-ass bitch)OB1, TR1, BH, CGC
Nova vom Wildhaus
Dinahmyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2011, 10:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

We usually leave in stitches for 10 -14 days depending on where it is. A couple of days past 10 days will not hurt in the least, but to early and it can open up on the ends if there is any pressure on the skin around the sutures.
Personally, as a vet assistant for many many years, let them stay in till Monday then take her back to normal vet or do it yourself. If you were talking about three weeks of having stitches, then I would say take them out, but ten days can be too early in some cases.
wyominggrandma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Joey had a growth removed from his front paw on October 31. At that time, the vet's office scheduled an appointment for tomorrow, November 13, to have them removed.

My husband called the vet to see if he could get them taken out today. The vet's office told him that they normally wait 12-14 days to remove the stitches, then another 2-4 days to remove the cone.

I think that's an excessive amount of time, but we'll know more tomorrow.

We're supposed to be going to Pennsylvania on Friday, and are concerned about Joey possibly being in the car with a cone on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.