German Shepherds Forum banner

Grim ER Vet - Sigh -

6K views 59 replies 26 participants last post by  LisaT 
#1 ·
This morning I took Grim (now 8) to the Emergency Vet Clinic because something seemed profoundly wrong (not interested in food or ball and whining) and the vet diagnosed constipation (no signs of an obstruction - as tight as his belly was I feared bloat and it was sudden onset .) --

Tramadol, stool softeners, a drug for motility and getting him to eat pumpkin - he sent us home and the digital exam broke up some of it and he went while we were there......but he said there seemed to be a lot of backed up feces. Strange - he has been going. But he said there would be more evidence if there was a blockage.

However, he also noticed an anomaly with the spleen and they are going to work us in for an ultrasound tomorrow. So my first though straight on is hemangiosarcoma.

He said there are spleenic tumors that are not cancerous and that it was a good sign his blood panel was perfect, (other than slight glucose elevation but he said that was probably from stress of being x-rayed and the pain) ......Well we take it one day at a time.

Right now he seems groggy from the tramadol (he gave him a shot) but he did heat half a can of pumkin and his stool softener and I am just keeping him with me all day.

So I may be struggling with what to do / how to process what I will hear tomorrow. FWIW he also appears to have benign prostate hyperplasia and some spondylosis mid spine but he said it was all in normal range for his age.

See less See more
#58 ·
I did ask the vet why not just do a trial of doxy but he did not want to.
The dog is in the woods a lot and exposed to a lot.

I have been running annual panels. .................. As I gather Doxy helps prevent vasculararization. In the meanwhile we are giving turmeric with evey meal :)

Is doxy something you can do on your own no script? Hmmmmmm. I can give beneficial bacteria to keep gut replinished.

I need to go back and see if it impacts sense of smell; one antibiotic does. Would have to have down time for that but right now we are down time anyway until I can get his excercise routine going again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.