Skin allergies out of control this year? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Skin allergies out of control this year?

My dog's allergies are through the roof this year. He has several hot spots, he usually gets them under his belly and in areas where you can't easily see them. But this year he is even getting them on his back, and he bit one and now it is infected. We just got back from the vets and after a steroid shot, antibiotics, steroid prescription, and $150 we are back home. I noticed while I was waiting at the vets that dog after dog was being called in for skin allergies. Even some cats. Seemed like that is what everyone was there for. Is anybody else's dog having a lot of skin allergy problems this summer?
Germanshepherdlova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

well - it has been unusually hot which is a physiological stressor , so allergies coming to the surface indicate a sub par immune system . This morning I was clearing / editing some of the hundreds of magazines that I have kept for one reason or another. One of these happened to be an issue of "Animal Wellness" spring of 2010. There was an article by Dr Martin Goldstein which stated -- if antibiotics are used short term, and probiotics are used to help replenish proper intestinal integrity , there shouldn't be much in the way of long term side effects. But first trying alternatives instead of antibiotics is a wise choice." He recommends a good fish oil supplement. much further in this article he recommended a selenium sulphide shampoo --. I've recommended probiotics, fish oil and "this" shampoo many times before on the forum. What is the shampoo --- commercially , Head and Shoulders, preferred Selsun Blue extra strong which knocks out fungal problems and all quell the inflammation. Safe , non toxic . For organic , safe shampoos I also like Animal Sense shampoo -- as a courtesy I give a quick shampoo and towel off before a pup goes home with his new family. Animal Sense Pet Products Inc
Same magazine, another alternative vet and author Dr Messonier states that corticosteroids and antihistamines may be necessary to decrease itching - but the longer they are used the greater the risk of side effects, including decreased lifespan .
In most cases he says , the secondary skin infections can be treated by shampoo and organic herbal shampoo. Dietary elp includes antioxidants , omega 3 fatty acids , herbs , and sulfur . Another article basically repeated the mantra, good clean water, good clean food, use titer testing - reduce vaccinations, use of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants , omega 3 oils , probiotics . This article went on to look at AHCC , Active Hexose Correlated Compound -- from fermented hybridized mushrooms, subject of over 30 peer reviewed journals describing research in both animals and humans. The studies showed that AHCC supported NK function . Without getting too deep or too complicated NK cells bind to the 'non-self' enemy cells and chemically rupture them . I was involved with a vet directed case involving a 10 year old Weimeraner who had a clinically proven nasal cancerous tumour. This person opted out of traditional chemotherapy out of consideration of the dogs advanced age . She used a local holistic vet that I know . With "mushrooms" and two of my supplements --- this dog discharged this tumourous blob from his nostril - which was sent to the lab . The lab reported "nasal adenocarninoma, well differentiated" .
How's that for the power and effectiveness of nutrition.

Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 02:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Very interesting indeed.
So, to make sure that I understand correctly, I can wash him with Head and Shoulders instead of dog shampoo?
Old 07-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

yes it is recommended also as PART of the treatment for systemic fungal problems - malassezia -- Nizoral is another you can pick up at your local drug and beauty shop.
Mane N Tale Protect --- excellent , comprehensive .

Rub skin with COCONUT oil which is very soothing , anti microbial, anti fungal , anti bacterial , etc -- NOT greasy once it dries as coconut oil is a dry oil ---

But that is the external treatment --- you have to address the cause not just suppress the symptoms.

Carmen
Old 07-25-2011, 03:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have no idea how to address the cause. When I take him to the vet she only treats the hotspots and never mentions what may be causing them in the first place. He doesn't get them in the winter. If I use any type of carpet freshener he gets a whole bunch of hot spots. I was feeding him Purina One Lamb and Rice and he stopped getting hotspots, I switched him to Diamond Lamb and Rice because it was in the same price range as the Purina but appeared more wholesome and the hotspots have returned with a vengeance. I believe that something in the dog food is causing this outbreak that he is having.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Read the first post.

The cause is the immune system , which is 70 to 80 % situated in digestive health.

Resource information -- Gut Solution
Dr Kidd Herbal Dog Care
Probiotic Rescue
Eating Alive
Pottenger's Cats a Study in Nutrition (out again in print after a long absence)
Plechner, Messonier, Zucker , Ackerman -- all authors specifically addressing allergies and skin problems on my library shelf .
then there are so many magazines and publications that I spent the morning editing my collection (Goodwill donations) .

Carmen
Old 07-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would also add Enzymes:What the Experts Know , which says briefly , the digestive system has compromised integrity and exhausted the immune system , nutritional support of these two major systems is essential - in addition the soothing and healing of the mucosal lining and removal of toxins is part of the course .

Carpet freshners are a common complaint for allergies. Try to eliminate a lot of chemicals, perfumes in the environment . The dog living at ground level, inhales the powder and has skin contact with it.

Carmen
Old 07-25-2011, 04:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thanks for the help, I will read up on this.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My partner's dog has terrible skin allergies. We have tried a lot of shampoos and this one gives her the most relief: TheraNeem Pet Shampoo | Organix South

She also gets herbs, probiotics, fish oil, vitamin C and acupuncture.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

I have my dog on the healthy skin program from nyzymes.com and he is doing so much better in just a month. It is worth going on the site and reading their information. You don't have to buy their products but they have some really good articles about skin problems as well as other medical issues.

The sooner you get on some type of "internal" treatment the sooner your dog will feel better. I tried the external (shampooing, etc.) only and it only helps for a couple days and then the itching/scratching comes back. You must also treat the gut as well. Goodluck!
Honey 9 y.o. GSD/Husky rescue
Thelma & Louise Calico rescues &
Zeke, 3 y.o. Yorkie
IloveGSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.