My dog is acting funny - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My dog is acting funny

Aero has been acting weird the past few days. I made a vet appointment for tomorrow, but I can't quite pinpoint what's wrong with him. When I'm gone, he has access to both the indoors and outdoors. Last night, he dug a big hole in the grass (presumably to get to cooler ground), but he did this before the sun came up. Then he chewed up 2 pairs of blinds, and jumped out my window twice (1 story home). One of the neighbors notified me fortunately, so I'm home with him now. His body is warmer than usual, even warmer than when the weather here was over 100 degrees. He doesn't seem as coherent, and hasn't finished all his food. His shots are current, but I did find a dead baby possum in the yard (rabbits are fine, but I'm not wild about him getting possums). Any suggestions on what might be wrong with him? He's also slightly limping when he walks, but he sometimes does that when jumping up in the air to catch sprinkler water (for about a day).

Thanks,

Paul
pkhoury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2011, 07:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Hi Paul, not sure what is going on, glad you have a vet visit scheduled for tommorow. I would suggest keeping him crated or confined if you are not home till you can get to the vet to prevent any possible injury. be sure he has access to plenty of water. If he gets more lethargic and less coherent, I would go to an emergency vet right away. There is always the chance of secondary poisoning with finding dead animals. Do you have A/C or central air in your home to keep him cool during the day? Did you tell the vet how he has been acting? I still might consider not waiting till tomorrow.
lisgje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Take his temperature with a thermometer. If he is acting strange, you may not want to wait until tomorrow. Check to see if he is dehydrated (depress gum to see how the color comes back, lift the fur on the back of the neck to see if the skin springs back into place). If his temperature is between 101 and 103 degrees, and he is not showing signs or dehydration, call the vet, tell them the symptoms, temperature, dehydration and ask for advice.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 08:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How old is he?

Digging, chewing blinds, and jumping out the window sound like fairly normal puppyish behavior. As for him not finishing his food, some dogs (just like people) lose their appetite when the weather is very hot. The limping could be a strain from jumping out the window or jumping up into the sprinkler water.

Not quite sure when you say he's "not as coherent". He could just be hot and tired. Dogs, like people, can get sluggish physically and mentally when it's hot out. Glad you have a vet appointment.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

is there a female in season somewhere?

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

zyppi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Take his temperature with a thermometer. If he is acting strange, you may not want to wait until tomorrow. Check to see if he is dehydrated (depress gum to see how the color comes back, lift the fur on the back of the neck to see if the skin springs back into place). If his temperature is between 101 and 103 degrees, and he is not showing signs or dehydration, call the vet, tell them the symptoms, temperature, dehydration and ask for advice.
Can I use a human thermometer that one would put in their ear?
Old 07-21-2011, 08:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
How old is he?

Digging, chewing blinds, and jumping out the window sound like fairly normal puppyish behavior. As for him not finishing his food, some dogs (just like people) lose their appetite when the weather is very hot. The limping could be a strain from jumping out the window or jumping up into the sprinkler water.

Not quite sure when you say he's "not as coherent". He could just be hot and tired. Dogs, like people, can get sluggish physically and mentally when it's hot out. Glad you have a vet appointment.
He normally runs across the street (not a very busy street) to play with his best friend Sitka, a 8 month old husky mix, but he'll usually show some restraint to voice commands. So a car was traveling (not fast for once) and he didn't seem to pay attention. At other times, he wasn't listening to me like he always does as well. He's about 7 years old, so I don't know if this is normal behavior for a dog his age.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyppi View Post
is there a female in season somewhere?
He, his friends Sitka, and the doxens on both houses next to me are all spayed/neutered. So no dogs with excessive hormones to contend with.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Don't know about ear-thermometers. I use a cheap digital one from the drug store. And I will use them rectally on the dog. There is a dog thermometer for the ear. But I think that is about $70 and I don't have one.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2011, 12:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Don't know about ear-thermometers. I use a cheap digital one from the drug store. And I will use them rectally on the dog. There is a dog thermometer for the ear. But I think that is about $70 and I don't have one.
Took Aero today to Malibu Coast Animal Hospital. Turns out he has fleas and hip dysplasia (and found out that Frontline is crap).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.