EPI solution: Using pig pancreas or cow pancreas - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2011, 05:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Look at the link someone left for you above
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I know someone who switched from kibble to raw and adds cow pancreas ( I think it's cow and not pig) to his EPI dogs diet and no longer needs to spend money on the meds.. Apparantely his dog is doing great and it's been several months now.

And he's not the only one I've heard of it working for..

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, Bh, CGC (HOT)... And now Oberon v. Wildhaus ~ the obnoxious puppy..
G-burg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011, 07:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

thanks for passing that along Leeza....worth a shot to try the real thing!
Herc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011, 09:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herc View Post
Thanks Jax's mom....do you buy the Pancrease V-Powder for your dog or do you get it from a cheaper source? The $300 a month for four plastic containers of the stuff is a little expensive.....

I use viocase, 1 1/2 tsp a day, just a touch of cold water in Max's food, let set for 30 minuites, stir occasionally, you'll have to experiment, need to weigh the dog once a week and watch the poop, it's been 3 1/2 years since Max was diagnosis was EPI, his weight 100 lbs, give or take a pound, hes been on TOW wetlands, coat is shinny, and it's $200 for the large bottle of viocase which lasts about 2 months

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
ken k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 08:47 AM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks Ken. You're in Michigan, do you get that product there or order it online? I work in Sarnia across from Port Huron. Maybe I can buy it there
Herc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herc View Post
Thanks Ken. You're in Michigan, do you get that product there or order it online? I work in Sarnia across from Port Huron. Maybe I can buy it there
the vet orders it for me, but you can get it online, for $189 the last time I looked, plus shipping I would imagine, not sure if you need a perscription or not, also would check out enzyme diane, lot of folks have switch to her formula with great results, I would switch but I'm afraid to, Max is doing so well for the last few years on what I have been using, and really don't rock the boat

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
ken k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

Thumbs up Beef Pancreas!

Hi everyone - our 6 yr old English golden retriever was diagnosed with epi 4 years ago. For the first 2 years we suffered through the expensive pancreazyme doses. Don't get me wrong, we are grateful as it saved her life. She went from 85 lbs down to 47 (while under a vets care,) and we thought we were going to lose her when the vet finally thought to test her for epi. The powder works great - she regained her natural weight and energy level and we were afraid to change anything but after 2 years we decided to to try a natural alternative, raw beef pancreas. The long and the short of it is that we are very happy we tried it. It's a bit messier and slightly less convenient but it works very well and is much cheaper. We buy in bulk online and it is shipped in 1 lb packs wrapped like a big sausage, freeze and defrost as we need. After we defrost it we generally put into small Tupperware and keep in the coldest part of the fridge and it lasts a good while. When we are feeding her we put about a tablespoon in her food with a bit of warm water, mix and let it sit for a few minutes. As has been mentioned before, all epi dogs are different so dosage may vary but we've found that it's a great alternative to the powder. Probably one third the total cost... We order it online from a place called "hare today gone tomorrow" (just google it). Sometimes it's back ordered so you have to plan ahead... Good luck everyone!
Koa9000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My dog had EPI and I also had a local butcher who went out of his way to grind and freeze the pig pancreas into patties for me. He did this free of charge, I used one patty (simular to a decent sized burger) in each meal and was able to go without using the powdered enzymes for 5 years. I also could not EVER give table scraps or people food of any kind.

Cathy
Saphire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.