6 month heart-worm vaccinations - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 6 month heart-worm vaccinations

Anyone have opinions on this or use them? I know they are fairly knew but it looks like I could save some money with them with his sentinel costing me about 175 bucks for 6 months worth and this shot is only like 90 bucks.
jdh520 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't know about the injection, too new for me to even concider. Sentinal is very expensive because it treats fleas as well as heartworm. Its double the price of Interceptor, same manufacturer I believe. So you would still have to get something for fleas or not.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh520 View Post
Anyone have opinions on this or use them? I know they are fairly knew but it looks like I could save some money with them with his sentinel costing me about 175 bucks for 6 months worth and this shot is only like 90 bucks.
Not worth it just buy a tube of Durvet's Apple Flavored Ivermectin and use a half click one a month for a GSD sized dog.

$3.99 at TSC and will last for two years technically.
sable123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Years ago (1990s if my memory is correct) the heartworm preventative injection was pulled from the market in the United States as there were problems with it. I would not use it on any of my dogs or rescue foster dogs and would rather stay with the safer oral monthly products.

If you are paying $175.00 for six months of heartworm preventative, there are lots of less costly options for you. I use Interceptor and can get it for about $56.00 USD for six months for my German Shepherd. I order it on-line and my vet authorizes the prescription.

There are many folks who use the 1% injectable cattle Ivermectin and give it orally to their dogs (non-Collies). I used this for years before going to the Interceptor and just drew it up in a syringe, popped off the needle and squirted the liquid in the back of the dog's throat. A treat followed and no problems for many years with a multi-dog household.

I am sure that others will chime in with other options.

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
WVGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sable123 View Post
Not worth it just buy a tube of Durvet's Apple Flavored Ivermectin and use a half click one a month for a GSD sized dog.

$3.99 at TSC and will last for two years technically.
Is this a tube of horse wormer? You are aware that the ivermectin is not evenly distributed throughout the whole tube so you could potentially overdose your dog, right? Since I own a horse, and worm him every two months, just thought I would point that out. You would have to distribute it to a bowl, thoroughly mix it and then somehow put it back into the tube or store it in some way (which I know at least one person on this board does).

And if you are going to do that, research which wormer kill specific worms. You have ivermectin, fenbendazole, pyrantel, etc.

Does your dog have the MRD1 gene? Then absolutely no ivermectin.

Please be careful about giving advice! Interceptor/Sentinal is NOT ivermectin.
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

yes, there were problems with one and it was pulled, late 90's maybe early 2000's. But regardless, I have major issues putting something into the body that takes that long to clear out. I don't even really like meds that last 30 days or so, let alone 6 months before they can clear the body. Way too much potential for harm for me.
crackem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lin
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Is this a tube of horse wormer? You are aware that the ivermectin is not evenly distributed throughout the whole tube so you could potentially overdose your dog, right? Since I own a horse, and worm him every two months, just thought I would point that out. You would have to distribute it to a bowl, thoroughly mix it and then somehow put it back into the tube or store it in some way (which I know at least one person on this board does).
Yes, he's been informed but insists that he contacted the company and was told its evenly distributed. However, thats evenly distributed for a HORSE and I've asked if he mentioned to the company he's dosing a dog. Never received a reply
Old 07-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yes I have heard of ivermectin but my problem or worry with it I should say is I discussed it with my vet and she informed me that ivermectin is the main ingredient for heart guard and heart guard has been failing a lot lately with her patients. I understand its also not easy to measure out the right dosage according to weight. Sentinel has worked great for me but I might just go with Interceptor since it's what Sentinel consist of and find a separate flea medication.
jdh520 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 01:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackem View Post
yes, there were problems with one and it was pulled, late 90's maybe early 2000's. But regardless, I have major issues putting something into the body that takes that long to clear out. I don't even really like meds that last 30 days or so, let alone 6 months before they can clear the body. Way too much potential for harm for me.
Proheart.

Active ingredient of Proheart is I believe, the ingredient in the new Advantage Multi.

I would not use either a new injectible or that Ivermectin paste described.

General disclaimer: People need to be very careful not to do just anything you see on the internet w/out talking to your vet. And your vet may tell you it's not a good idea.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post

And if you are going to do that, research which wormer kill specific worms. You have ivermectin, fenbendazole, pyrantel, etc.

Does your dog have the MRD1 gene? Then absolutely no ivermectin.

Please be careful about giving advice! Interceptor/Sentinal is NOT ivermectin.
Thanks but you are 100% WRONG about the ivermectin and how it is suspended in the pectin. That is an internet myth. Why in the world would a company sell a product like that. Are all horses 1,250lb???? What about foals, goats, sheep.... What if you had a Shetlend Pony??? They can weigh as little as 200lbs. Don't you think the companies know that in the case of a Shetlands you would only use about 1/5th the tube? Why is the tube marked in 50lb clicks if the prodcut was inconsistent?

So silly. Where do people come up with such nonsense.

Of all the internet forum nonsense this is the funniest. The stuff is mixed in a giant machine for tens of thousands of tubes at a time. Do you think they put they ivermectin in each tube at a time?

Ivermectin kills most intestinals it is just an off-lable use for dogs.
sable123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.