Colostrum for allergies? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Colostrum for allergies?

I was wondering if anyone has used Colostrum for allergies with their dog? I've been reading a bit and saw a product (see below) that sounds like it could help with Niko's crappy immune system. He has allergies and I do think he is always yeasty. Very itchy, blackened skin, smelly etc. Mostly face rubbing, groin area, anal area is very itchy... kind of all over underneath. He will be 9 in Sept. and this has been going on forever.

I have tried tons of products, from allergy shots, Atopica, Holistic and homeopathic remedy types. It's heavy pollen season in MA and he does have many allergies according to his intradermal skin test results (taken years ago). I had the blood panel done for food - no major proteins other than pork. Niko is raw fed. I think he has an issue with fish, since it seems he gets worse when I give him salmon oil. He did come up allergic to Catfish on the blood panel, but who knows.

Symbiotics Candida Balance with Colostrum And Probiotics -- 120 Capsules - Vitacost

I had thought of giving Nzymes a whirl again since I had tried them several years ago and only used them for a couple of months since I didn't see any minimal improvement at all. He actually had gotten worse. He does have the classic symptoms they describe for yeast. He has also been diagnosed with yeast before by the derm and put on ketoconazole.

Here I am once again looking at other supplements - thinking back on probiotics, maybe a good digesive enzyme and then I saw the one above with Colostrum. One of the holistic vet's I saw a few years back put Niko on Colostrum... although I don't remember if it actually helped. He was on a few supplements at the time... another was Caprylic Acid.

So... I guess I'm looking again for any advice... I know I've written a similar thread before... but figured I would see what others have tried or any thoughts would be appreciated. I guess if I stop trying stuff... I'll never know if something could work.

Thank you!
Tanja and Niko
RIP ~ Storm ~ My sweet boy ~ There will never be another like you!
RIP ~ Boo ~ My bold kitty
Fluffypants is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

my guy has yeast infections. since i've been giving him 500 mg vit c, 25 mg zinc, 2 billion acidolphlus, 3 tablespoons of plain yogurt, 2 benadryl, 2 healthy skin tabs from dr foster/smith, and 2 omega fatty acid vitamins each day, he seems to be licking and scratching less. he even has some hair growing back on his belly and thighs. i don't know if this will work for your guy, especially if he cannot tolerate the fish oils, but i just thought i'd let you know what i've been doing. good luck. if you find a solution be sure to post to let us all know.
4loveofadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Try local honey from your area within 70 miles. I have allergy problems with my GSD as well and everyone down here keeps telling me local honey. Theory behind this is the bees use the pollen from your area and some of that pollen will be in the honey. Consuming about 2 tbsp a day will build up the immune system to the pollen. I'm using it right now and I think it's a get worse before it gets better remedy just because your actually giving the pollen to him just like a vaccination. It's worth a shot because its an inexpensive route.
jdh520 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

What about Immunoregulin? I was going to try it on Nina but we didn't get to.
http://www.neogen.com/animalsafety/p...tins/08892.pdf
I had participated in the IgA study with her, hers was low. She had the deep pyoderma, so not the same stuff as Niko.
JeanKBBMMMAAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 12:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

All that immune stuff will boost the immune system, even colostrum. Just be aware of that if there is any autoimmune process going on that shouldn't be boosted. Both mine did terrible on colostrum, but they're kinda different anyway.

LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 06:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and advice. I do appreciate it.

4loveofadog - I'm glad your boy is responding to the supplements you are giving. I'm definitely going back to a probiotic and something... lol I will post back if I find something that really helps. I tried the Mega-C from Belfield before... thought about that one again too.

Jdh520 - I have heard about using honey, but have never tried it. Niko came back allergic to all bugs and I was told to avoid walking him at dusk and dawn. That was one of his highest allergic reactions. I think I was leary because honey came from a bee. Maybe that wouldn't bother him?

Jean - I have never heard of Immunoregulan... will have to read up on that. The derm's didn't mention that one to me... only Atopica. Although, the last time I saw the derm was last summer.

LisaT - that is one of the main reasons I posted... lol I have heard (and I think it was from you) that I may not want to boost his immune system with his issues. I think it's a crap shoot - I may just try that product... I think way too much about this stuff! lol

The Nzymes site has so much info, detailed instructions and testimonials from many people where it did help their dog. Niko has all the yeast symptoms - all listed on their site... although I have tried this one before many years ago and I could only give it a couple of months. Who knows, maybe things could be different now.

I think I'm rattling now... I think that's what the allergies do to the dog parents. lol

Thanks again for everyone's advice and certainly if you think of anything else.... I would def. consider looking into anything.

Tanja & Niko
Old 06-15-2011, 05:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffypants View Post
Jean - I have never heard of Immunoregulan... will have to read up on that. The derm's didn't mention that one to me... only Atopica. Although, the last time I saw the derm was last summer.

LisaT - that is one of the main reasons I posted... lol I have heard (and I think it was from you) that I may not want to boost his immune system with his issues. I think it's a crap shoot - I may just try that product... I think way too much about this stuff! lol
The immunoregulan and regular colostrum will do the opposite of Atopica. Jean's Nina was IgA deficient, so her immune system needed that boost.

Every dog is different. Vets keep swearing that my Max should do well with something like Atopica, but it makes everything worse, so you might experiment with somethign that turns out to be key.

IF you are thinking of trying this, I would spend the extra bucks and use Transfer Factor. It is not supposed to be as immune stimulating as colostrum. I was afraid to try it after my experience with colostrum.

LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Tanja I am sorry you are continuing to experience allergy issues with your boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaT View Post
All that immune stuff will boost the immune system, even colostrum.
Monica Segal wrote about this in a recent newsletter,

Monica Segal April 2011 Newsletter

"Environmental allergies, that is. Your dog may be sneezing, have runny eyes and nose, or scratching him/herself, including the ever-famous bum scooting along carpets. Some dog owners believe that helping to “boost” the immune system especially at this time of year is the key. In fact, what you are seeing is an over-reaction of the immune system, so even it was possible to “boost” it, this is the last thing you’d want to do. "

Interesting stuff! Have a read at the rest of the article, maybe you will find some of her tips helpful.

Personally I have tried colostrum for Penny and saw no difference. It was a powder that I mixed with water and she lapped it up. It was tasty though, like vanilla pudding! Nothing worked for Penny until she was put on comfortis for flea allergy.

enjoying life with Penny 6/04 & Blaze 11/12
while Sasha watches over us

www.swingsetsbydesign.com
natalie559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thank you both - LisaT and Natalie!

Transfer Factor looks interesting and will do some reading up and I agree with both of you... I may not want to boost his immune system. I'm nervous to try something that may do that. Lord knows that if it makes him worse.... then it's even harder to get control back.

I'm going to keep poking around the internet. Thank you Natalie for Monica's Newsletter... more interesting reading.

Tanja & Niko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.