Looking for Support (lost dog to hemangiosarcoma) - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 168 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 03:28 PM
Crowned Member

You will see Klaus again some day, he will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge where he is running free now. So untill then you have your precious memories to hold on to and maybe someday you will be able to welcome a new little member to your family. So sorry for your loss, we have all been there and it is never easy, the GSD family here on the forum are pretty good to share help and support, so Welcome and please make yourself at home.

karen, mom to:
ace-gsd (bi-color) 6/14/2010
mandy-yellow lab 1/31/2009
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 168 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 03:59 PM
Crowned Member

I'm so sorry for your loss, my condolences!!!

I've lost several of the Hooligans to this silent killer ... like others have said, all is sunshine and roses until they have a bleedout and suddenly they're dead.

My mutt Bo had hemangiosarcoma of the spleen and I opted to have the surgery ... when they opened him up he was riddled with cancer ... per our pre-surgical agreement, the vet put him down on the table.

Echo and Ringer were diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma of the heart ... as far as I know nothing can be done for this type.

Kelly was ill with a few extremely serious health issues and I had an ultrasound done before making up my mind if he should be put down or not. In addition to the other issues, they discovered he also had hemangiosarcoma of the heart ... I called his breeder, we talked about an hour and both of us agreed it was in his best interest to be put down. If he hadn't had so many other health issues I'm not sure what I would have done since I don't know how much time the hemangiosarcoma will take to kill them.

Echo

Bo

Ringer

Kelly

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #33 of 168 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 05:33 PM

living in the moment

I am a new member who joined last friday ( 13th). Otus had a ultrasound that showed multiple tumors of the spleen & other diagnostics that indicated a very poor prognosis. It seems that many GSD owners find their way here when searching for answers/support & common bond through as I did.
I've spent some time reading members stories of final days with their dogs. It is so very sad.
I am now having that same experience with my dog who is reminding me on this day that, he's still very much here.
Last week my sons prepared a burial site as death seemed imminent.......instead he roused to eat roast turkey & has currently rebounded. Yesterday was a play in the pond day. We are going outside once I finish this post. We will play if he wants to otherwise it's the hammock for me. Worry has worn me out & bothers him too........he thinks life is good right now.
Thank you all for being out there & sharing your stories.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pond Dog.jpg
Views:	1329
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	8457  

post #34 of 168 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 06:00 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otus View Post
I am a new member who joined last friday ( 13th). Otus had a ultrasound that showed multiple tumors of the spleen & other diagnostics that indicated a very poor prognosis. It seems that many GSD owners find their way here when searching for answers/support & common bond through as I did.
I've spent some time reading members stories of final days with their dogs. It is so very sad.
I am now having that same experience with my dog who is reminding me on this day that, he's still very much here.
Last week my sons prepared a burial site as death seemed imminent.......instead he roused to eat roast turkey & has currently rebounded. Yesterday was a play in the pond day. We are going outside once I finish this post. We will play if he wants to otherwise it's the hammock for me. Worry has worn me out & bothers him too........he thinks life is good right now.
A couple of times they can rebound from a bleed. Usually they are very weak and tired first. Dogs can reabsorb blood from the abdomen. It takes, 5-6 hours to reabsorb and they can act normal for a week or a couple of days afterwards.
One day they can have a major bleed and they don't recover from it. The good thing is that this cancer is not painful, they just become very weak.

Prayers going your way, try to enjoy whatever time you have with your pup...
post #35 of 168 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 11:35 PM
Crowned Member

Here is a thread of a mixed breed that was diagnosed in Dec 2010, and has been using diet and supplements to treat for the remainder of his time here.

Raggs has been dx'd with Hemangioma or Hemangiosarcoma - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 168 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 11:57 PM
Knighted Member

I am so very sorry for your loss. I personally think it is a very personal decision on whether on not to treat this horrible disease and no one should be have to tolerate snarky comments either way. We all do what we feel is best for the dogs that we love dearly.

That said, I have not lost a dog to this so while I don't know your pain, I can give you my deepest sympathy. I can not imagine the grief I will feel when I lose Dharma ( no matter what the cause) and especially if it happens at such a young age. I want to thank you though for saving him. You gave him a wonderful life and made up for his very rough start. I have little doubt your love was returned in full. I hope that soon you will open your heart to another 4 legged friend and give another deserving dog a home that needs one.

RIP Klaus. Run free at the bridge. He is waiting there for you and one day you will see him again.

Debbi-
Mom to:
-Dharma Van Fluffy Pants GSD
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #37 of 168 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 05:33 AM
Master Member

Klaus and Otus' Family: Welcome to the forum. Please accept my feelings of sympathy and condolence as you deal with Klaus' death, and with Otus' illness.

I lost my female GSD to hemangiosarcoma in 2008, and her death introduced me to a nightmare of unspeakable grief from which I thought I could not recover. But eventually I have come around, and as you can see from fellow posters, there is a way out of the grief eventually. For me, it was a time of sleepness nights, sobbing at all hours, shock, and practically an obsession to find out everything I could about hemangiosarcoma.

A week before she died, she couldn't clot and her back leg began to swell with a real ugly hematoma. The vet saw the tumors on the spleen with an ultrasound, and said she only had about a week left. A week later, when she started to bleed from the tumors, my parents' vet came to their house, where I was visiting, and put her down.

There are some owners who are able to render medical treatment for their dogs with hemangio. I envy them with perfect envy, because I would have done anything just to have one more week with my princess. The guilt that I should have done something, and didn't, before she died, was so searing on my conscience. I felt this guilt for the longest time, and was often angry with myself for not having done something more for her, an anger which unfortunately surfaced and was taken out on those around me.

I wondered, and tortured myself with the thought, that perhaps my dog did not forgive me for not having taken better care of her. As I read more about this disease, that guilt and doubt began to subside, because I learned that in most dogs, it is an unbelievably aggressive cancer. I once corresponded with a vet, in fact, who had lost his dog to this disease.

He told me that if he, a vet, who regularly could check up on his own pets with medical knowledge and sophisticated equipment, and still could not catch the cancer in his own dog, I should no longer worry that I was somehow supposed to detect it in my dog. This vet called hemangio the "silent and merciless killer" of many beloved pets. It can come out of nowhere and deprive many people of quality end of life time with their dog. Many hemangio sufferers die when their owners are at work, or in town shopping.

I am a person of faith. I picture my German Shepherd with the Lord, happy in heaven, free from pain, and waiting for me. That picture of her, in a place where she runs around with my loved ones who have crossed over already, brings some comfort. The photos of her and her old collar also are a comfort. My present dog, who I got right after she passed, brought great comfort. And finally, her resting place, at my parents home, is a comfort, because I can visit and see how my parents have honored her in that part of their yard.

Again, please accept my sincere sypathies and know that in the others here who have gone through this trial, you will find many kindred spirits.
post #38 of 168 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 07:36 AM
vat
Knighted Member

I am so very sorry for your loss, it is heartbreaking to loose our dogs. While I have never had to deal with this awful illness I did have to put down a 16 month old due to kidney failure. I am not sure which is worse, a silent killer or knowing that you have a ticking clock. When Rio crashed (a term we use in kidney failure) it was worse than I expected it to be. Watching your pup suffer will rip your heart out.

I do believe our past dogs send us our current dogs. Rio sent me Max who I tell every day I love him. Rio taught me allot about life. Your wonderful boy will send you another to fill your heart when the time is right.

Valerie

Shewana's Maximum Velocity (aka Max)
Shewana's Hot-Spice (aka Callan)

Kaycee 11/97-5/10

Rio 10/08-2/10

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.
post #39 of 168 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 08:17 AM
Crowned Member

My thoughts and prayer are with you and your family.
post #40 of 168 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otus View Post
My thoughts and prayers are with you at this very moment. I hope this community is able to bring you comfort as it did me. You are going through such a rough time .... I can only imagine how sad you are right now ....please enjoy your time with your boy. Turkey and swims in the pond?! You know he is a happy boy and so lucky to have you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page