Looking for Support (lost dog to hemangiosarcoma) - Page 13 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #121 (permalink)

Updated Signature, but didn't work.

GSD Augie 7-1993 to 9-2004
GSD Zeus 10-2004 to 10-2012

Cats gone in past year:
Kiki Siamese 16
Daisy Calico 17
Jynx DLH black only 10 from CRF

Kitties now:
Blue, Gray, DLH, 12
Lily, Seal Point Siamese, 1
Luna, Liliac Point Siamese, 6 months (a rescue)
Cosmo, DHL jet black, 5 months (a rescue)
Zeus2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 03:14 AM   #122 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus2004 View Post
Don't know if I can bear loving another GSD and going through this again.
Sandy
I know how you feel, I feel the same after losing Bianca last month, she was my first GSD although I always loved the breed, and wanted one since I was a kid...but I just don't know if I could go through this again with another GSD.
I lost my previous two dogs to different types of cancer (within 3 months of each other in 2008), and it was very difficult but I think the toll of hemangiosarcoma has been even harder for me even though I had almost two months with Bianca after her splenectomy.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #123 (permalink)
Elite Member

I hear you both............I too love the GSD but having lost Floyd to Hemangiosarcoma was so devastating to my entire family that we are having a difficult time with the getting another GSD.
I have been searching all breeds that have simular traits minus many of the GSD health issues. This cancer is not something breeders can test for......yet. If there was a way I could feel confident I wouldn't run into this devastating disease again I would most definately get another GSD.
Saphire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #124 (permalink)

Default Lars

Unfortunately we lost our beautiful boy Lars to this awful disease eight days ago. We had a similar experience to most. He was happy and playing on Sunday and on Tuesday afternoon we had to say goodbye. I too feel the crushing guilt like I should have known something was wrong. He woke me up in the middle of the night on Sunday which he rarely did, but I thought maybe he had an upset tummy and needed to go out. He came back in and went to bed.
On Monday morning, he was slow but ate breakfast and went outside. I thought his arthritis was acting up so he didn't feel good. I checked on him at lunch and he was slow and didn't want to go out, but he met me at the door. I went back to work thinking he just needed to rest, but when my husband came home at 400, he was lying in the kitchen and didn't react to him at all. He had to carry him to the car.
We took him to our vet who saw his spleen was enlarged in an xray, but didn't have an ultrasound to get further detail, so we went to an emergency vet. She had an ultrasound and could see fluid in his abdomen and around his heart. We then took him to Tufts near Boston for a more detailed exam, and were given this horrific diagnosis.
He had a massive cancerous tumor on his heart which was in operable and had burst, filling his pericardium with blood restricting his heart from beating. They drained the blood and he felt a little better but we were told that he could go at anytime and likely would not make it overnight,so our decision was made for us, but it doesn't make it any easier. He was put to rest with his head in my husbands lap and me nose to nose with him. The hardest thing I've ever had to do.
I love my boy with all my being and money or distance were never a hindrance to treatment. He had several other conditions and we always did whatever it took even if it meant major debt. I am devastated that there was no coming back from this one.
I'm so sorry and my heart goes out to everyone in this thread who has lost their beloved angel. Our boy was a week short of his 10th birthday, but we are trying to be positive because he was such a silly, happy boy and we have his 8 year old sister to take care of. After all, we figure he wouldn't want us sitting around crying all the time when his sister needs to play. What a horrible disease this is.
Lars1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #125 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I am SO sorry about your loss of Lars. He sounds like a very special dog.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #126 (permalink)

Thank you so much. He was a special boy and is now our little angel.
Lars1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #127 (permalink)

In reading your story, it sounds extremely similar to my own. Klaus too dealt with bad arthritis at a young age so I assumed he was having complications. When I discovered what was really the cause, it was too late. I am so sorry for your loss. I truly am as I know it is tough, heart breaking and frustrating. I hope you take comfort in knowing you did all you could for your boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars1 View Post
Thank you so much. He was a special boy and is now our little angel.
Klaus My Love is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #128 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

My sincere condolences. There are many of us in the HSA club I am sad to say. My Grim, Toby, and Cyra all died from HS before their time. ........ For those who have a diagnosis but have not said goodbye, please follow the links on the modiano labs website to submit samples ......... Broad Institute is trying to establish a genetic pattern in the GSD since there does seem to be more of a tendency in the breed.

http://modianolab.org/Modiano%20Lab%...20Template.pdf

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #129 (permalink)

I have a dog that was just diagnosed with dermal HSA.
Does anyone here know if the supplement Fresh Factors would be beneficial
to her? It contains nutritional yeast (yeast culture).
I've read so many different opinions, I have no idea if I should give it to her or not.
Frannie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #130 (permalink)

Default Lost my Jarko

Lost my boy, Jarko (7), too fast too soon, yesterday (12/16/13) to hemangiosarcoma. Devastated, heartbroken, shocked...no symptoms, signs or any indication that his body was suffering internally until i went to play fetch with him. Threw the ball-he went after it and just stood there. i knew instantly something was wrong...i called him back and he didn't respond. I walked towards him and said "lets go home", he'll usually perk up and will start to trot, but got no response. I felt his legs in case of injury but felt nothing out of the ordinary. Felt his stomach and noticed it was really full. After a few steps he laid down on the snow not wanting to move. I carried him to the car and straight to the Vet. After ultrasound and x-ray, Dr suspected cancer on the spleen. Abdomen was full of fluid. The stress of the surgery was too much for his heart. Spleen, Liver and heart had clusters of cancer.
AOlivera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.