Throwing up.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Throwing up....

Our puppy, 4 months old, threw up about 5 times last night. Once around 9pm which she threw up her whole dinner, what a site!, then around 2am, 3am, 3:30am, and then 4:30am. The rest of the throw ups where just brownish and food colored. Also a little yellow bile.

Her poop yesterday was normal. The day before she had had her rabies, last parvo shot, and her lepto shot. Maybe a little reaction? She had some a little diarrhea the remainder of Sunday but was back to normal poop wise as of yesterday Monday.

The vet called yesterday to see how Emma was doing and I let her know about the diarrhea but that is was normal now. Then later that night she threw up as described above. We fed her very little kibble this morning, of course we had just run out of chicken. We did get chicken and feed about a cup combined of chicken and rice around 12, and will do again in a couple hours. Mu wife was able to stay home today to watch our pup.

Emma is a little tired but still playful. She is eating anything we give her so that is good, and she will drink water. Again her poop was normal but she hasn't really gone today because of lack of food in her. She has not thrown up since last night. I am not to concerned but am about to call the vet to just check in. Anyone on here have advice? Should I have rushed her to the vet? I didnít want to overreact and because the vomiting was the only factor I decided we would just watch her carefully today and if she got any worse we would take her in.
rustilldown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Make sure she is getting enough fluids. Vomiting can cause dehydration in a puppy very quickly. Take her to the vet and make sure she is not dehydrated. Pedialyte with her food can help, but with a pup that age, I would err on the side of caution and take her to the vet.
lisgje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisgje View Post
Make sure she is getting enough fluids. Vomiting can cause dehydration in a puppy very quickly. Take her to the vet and make sure she is not dehydrated. Pedialyte with her food can help, but with a pup that age, I would err on the side of caution and take her to the vet.
I second this advice!!! It may be due to all the vaccinations she had at once, but if she were my pup I wouldn't take a chance since it could be something more serious.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

One vomit with a dog that feels fine otherwise is no big deal. A dog that keeps vomiting needs to see a vet or at the very least, call the vet to see if you should bring him in.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I can't believe the vet would give all those vaccinations in one day!!!!! I also can't believe that a dog could tolerate that cocktail without barfing, diarrhea and not feeling well. Maybe send your vet Dr Dodds vaccination protocol so other pups aren't subjected to this.
I hope Emma has no ill effects, and next time the rabies vax is due, please do it alone a couple weeks from the other boosters.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The yellow bile is usually an indication of an empty stomach. I agree that it's time for a vet visit
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 10:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If a dog or pup is throwing up for several hours, it is best to rest the gut and limit water to just small amounts, or give pedialyte in ice cube form. Water will irritate the digestive tract as much as food. So bile barfing is ok because eventually the dogs digestive system will settle. I would get some slippery elm w/ some plain yogurt(in a paste) about a half hour before the bland diet meal introduction.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Onyx I was surprised too with all the vaccines in one day. I thought the rabies would be spread out as well but she did them all Sunday and I thought well if the vet thought it was ok. This is my first dog and it is kinda tough to speak up to a vet...

I did call the vet, and the receptionist was not very helpful. She seemed like she asked a nurse and then basically just said to bring Emma in without really listening to what I told her. I asked her for the vet to call me and I am waiting.

An update with Emma is that she did finally poop when I got home from work at 5:15pm. The poop was small, but was normal which was nice. She also has not thrown up again since 4:00am. We have been giving her plenty of water to stay hydrated, and been feeding boiled chicken and rice. Her energy is just a little low but I think that is normal with all the throwing up and the limited food. She is still very playful! I will speak with the vet in the morning and keep you guys updated.
rustilldown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2011, 01:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Don't get to weirded out about giving the vaccines at the same time as the vast majority of dogs have this done with no problem. I prefer to separate the rabies from the others, but it's not the end of the world.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustilldown View Post
....I was surprised too with all the vaccines in one day. I thought the rabies would be spread out as well but she did them all Sunday and I thought well if the vet thought it was ok. This is my first dog and it is kinda tough to speak up to a vet.......
One of the most important things that your pup will teach you, may be to do your own research and to learn to speak up for your pup. You will learn together with your pup, but it's a very important lesson.

It really isn't okay to give all those shots together, and many vets do it all the time.

Vaccination - GermanShepherdHome.net

LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.