Success: stem cell treatment for degenerative myelopathy - Page 12 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 112 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 11:13 PM
Crowned Member

This is just an FYI ... my sweet Slider was diagnosed with Cauda Equina Syndrome (CES) and as time progressed he began to develop progressive rear end problems ... dragging his back legs. My vet x-rayed him and since his CES had not changed much, she diagnosed him with DM. When he passed away this past April, I wanted a necropsy done to determine if he had DM or not .. my vet didn't have the necessary tools to perform this type of necropsy, so I had a DM DNA test done (not the Dr. Clemons test, this one was done by DDC). Anyway, it turned out he was only a carrier ... only had one positive marker, the other marker was normal. So I assume all the rear end problems he had were due to the CES. (I lost 3 other dogs to CES all with the same symptoms but no testing was done). So there are diseases that mimic DM that really aren't, though it really doesn't make much difference since the results are the same, just the name is different.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 06:31 PM

Not DM in my Lacey

New person here so bare with me. I have 2 shepherd sisters 7yrs.old Lacy and sheeba in great active health. 2 days ago was throwing ball out front lacy ran full stride missed ball and turned tight, I heard a small yipe, she came back with ball looking fine, both dogs finished playing came in house. My wife and I sat down to watch a movie, both dogs laid down. about an hour later Lace struggled to get up, her rear legs were wobbly and dragging. I took her right away to vet hospital, Lacy walked in wobbly dragging toes. Vet did x-rays hips, legs. no deformities, they gave me 3 sets of drugs and told me to watch her in the next couple days, if gets worse bring her back, the drive home was 30 miles by the time we got home 2:00 am she lost all functions of rear legs had to carry her in. the next morning took her back, the nuero- surgeon was in and evaluated lacy, right away DM was brought up, but they were perplexed at the quick onset, My wife and I were a mess since everything we looked at on the web. I told the surgeon to get Lacy in NOW for MRI and workup, costly but my girls are worth it. Glad I did, turned out to be a bulging disc in her neck causing rear leg paralysis. Lacy is recouping as we speak at the hospital and is bearing weight on rear, therapy for next 3 weeks, she comes home next week with or visits morning and evening. Her sister Sheeba slept next to her cage all night at home and still looks for her. she misses sister. The neurosurgeon said no more up on bed, when they jump down is the worst, they hit with front legs and jolts their head forward than back fast. If your dog is active and something like this happens suddenly, please don't think DM first. And if your baby has DM give them all the love and support you can give them, remember when you come home no matter what kind of day you had they wag their tail and love you no matter what. Prayers to all your tailwaggers. Patrick
EchosMom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page