Orbax and Metronidazole for 6 month old GSD Pup - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2011, 07:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Orbax and Metronidazole for 6 month old GSD Pup

I would call my vet's office, but they are closed for the weekend, so I apologize for posting this here! Typically I would call to clarify with them directly.

I posted the other day regarding digestive problems that my 6 month old shepherd pup has been having, and I did take him to the vet. He was diagnosed with a bacterial infection and prescribed antibiotics, Metronidazole and Orbax, for 6 days.

Wanting to know what is being given to my shepherd, and not getting very responsive answers from the vet we went to (not his usual one at the practice), I looked up the medications.

Let me preface this by saying that I know it is only for 6 days, and that is why I'm curious. For Orbax, it mentioned that it can cause joint problems for dogs who are still growing, which my pup definitely is. Does anyone have any information regarding this? I don't want to stop the course of the antibiotics unless I know it is actually a problem, and I don't believe that the vet would prescribe something if there was a real danger of it causing joint/bone issues for my dog...but it does cause a small sense of uneasiness. Any information is appreciated - even if it is to tell me that all will be well and not to worry.
evybear15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2011, 02:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I hadn't heard of Orbax so I had to look it up. It's in the same class of meds as Baytril and Cipro. This link: Orbax Tabs says it's not for dogs (pups) that are rapidly growing. There would definitely seem to be a risk/benefit to consider here. I would want to know why the vet thought that your pup needed a drug in that class.

As for the metro, it is commonly given to dogs, including GSDs. However, some dogs will have a neurological reaction to it, so watch for anything like a stumbly gait.

LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Watching for a stumbling gate could be tricky - he's in an awkward/uncoordinated phase of growth right now...but I will keep a close eye out for anything out of the ordinary!

He was prescribed both meds due to a bacterial infection in his gut that was causing him some fairly awful diarrhea, and he had an elevated temp, as well. However, they did not mention ANY risk of giving it to a growing pup, which is what I find frustrating. It's one thing to know that there are risks, but that they feel the good outweighs the bad...it's another to not even bother mentioning it, in my opinion.

On the bright side, he does seem to be doing better and is back to solid poop, as opposed to diarrhea every 20 minutes!
evybear15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.