Throw up that smells & looks like diarrhea? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Throw up that smells & looks like diarrhea?

Osa messed her crate yesterday- or so we thought, because it smelled like poop and was the color of poop, with some poop-shaped lumps in there. But after cleaning the crate (and her bed, and the carpet, and the drapes), she started whining and then went into REgen's crate and threw up some more foul-smelling vomit, and then again in the living room (on the off-white carpet, of course). She went outside and had some runny stool as well. It was after hours so we called the vet, and they said if she kept throwing up, to bring her to the e-vet, otherwise hold all food and just let her have liquids.

She seems fine today, normal energy, hasn't had any more upset.

The vet said we didn't need to bring her in today unless she seemed lethargic or had a poor appetite, any thoughts about what might have happened? The only out of the ordinary thing I can think of is that I gave her some Traumeel becuase she was limping after some overly athletic stunts on our daily hike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't know about dogs but if people are vomiting stool, it is usually sign of bowel obstruction. I would have gone to the vet anyway. Just to be sure she was okay. If she does it again, definitely take her right in.
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.
DharmasMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Could she have been eating poop of some kind?

Zeke (Blackthorn's Nemo, CGC) GSD~6/8/10
Tesla (Blackthorn's Tesla) GSD~2/5/13
stacey_eight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 12:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

That's definitely a sign of an obstruction (unless she ate poop and it came back up), so you should keep a very close eye on her!
Old 04-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There is nothing worse smelling or horrible to clean up than poopy vomit. This is fairly common for a dog to eat poo and then puke it up in the house. Be glad it wasn't on the bed. I wouldn't worry about it at this point.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

She might have gotten into the litterbox somehow, but this seemed like more volume than she would have gotten there.
She definitely is hungry (she hasn't had food for 12 hours) and doesn't show signs of pain when I touch her belly. She peed this morning but didn't poop, but that doesn't seem odd given that she threw up everything and then had diarrhea yesterday.

I am just trying to figure out if we should be concerned if she shows normal energy and is eager to eat boiled chicken when we offer tonight...I am not going to play fetch with her or the usual just in case.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You wouldn't believe how poo can expand once puked up as it usually includes dinner and other things. If she feels fine, I wouldn't worry. Dogs do this all the time, although, puking up cat poo is just a little more special
Old 04-08-2011, 12:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

When my senior dog vomited stool, I didn't think anything of it really because she eats her poo and I figured that was why. Although now that I think back she has never vomited stool in the 6 years i've had her, and she has always had the nasty habit.
When she refused to eat a couple of days later and I noticed her straining to defecate I decided to take her in.
Thankfully (and after 2 enemas and an overnight stay) she is better ,but I watch her to make sure she is going regularly. I would just watch your dog closer and make sure it isn't eating poop and going #2 normally. If anything else "weird" like this starts happening; I would take her in immediately.
Aren Dickman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

So odd...no throwup today, she ate a bit of boiled chicken with the broth (from boiling, no salt), and instead of a kong I left her with a frozen brothsicle when I left for work...she seems normal, has peed 2 more times but hasn't pooped yet or tried to poop, so no poop since the explosion last night.

She definitely has an appetite and doesn't seem any different except possibly a little more tired. I hate being a worrywart!
Old 04-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You have to visit the vet. There are problems which involve the liver that will have this kind of thing going on.
Get your peace of mind.
Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.