Pup swallowed 3" of bully stick - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Pup swallowed 3" of bully stick

Well, Saber apparently swallowed the last 3 inch piece of her bully stick, whole. I buy the 12" ones, the "thick" kind. They are pretty darn hard. Should I be worried about this? Or will it just digest and pass through? She is acting normal.

Related... if you give bully sticks do you just let them eat the end when they get to it like that, or toss it when it gets small enough to swallow?
Kira vom Snoozhaus ZZZ CGC!!!

Saber's Blog: Stuff Saber Does
cassadee7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 02:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Yikes, they're too expensive to toss out. My dogs eat the whole thing. The only thing I toss out are fresh bones once they're smallish or roughed up and toys that have been killed and dismembered.
Whitedog404 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DCluver33

I let them eat the whole thing, I usually give them when their in their crates, when I leave and I know i'm going to be gone all day, normally I wouldn't do this but since they end up breaking down they'll pass them or they should at least.

Dodger 5 yr old GSD (6/23/08)
Molly 14 yr old Border Collie/Aussie Mix (7/4/98)

RIP my Angel:
Chopper 17 yr old Border Collie (10/1/94-12/30/10)
DCluver33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I had to always supervise Jake with his bully sticks because he too, would swallow the last 3 inches whole. He always managed to vomit it back up 24 hours later. I could set a clock by it, and it would be 24 hours on the dot.

I did start taking them away when they got that small because of him swallowing them whole.
TMarie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Lucy does this all the time. She gets the 12" thick ones too and when it gets down to the bottom 3", she tries to swallow them too.

When it gets to the point where she's just trying to swallow, I usually take them away at that point.

Sometimes she gets them down, sometimes I get them away from her in time. No need to worry if it's already swallowed. I'm sure she's happily letting it digest away in her stomach right now.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 03:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Once it's small enough to consider swallowing, most of our dogs will give it at try. So we usually take them away at that point. Though we've also taught the younger dogs to bring them to us and let us hold the end, which we'll do, and then they can still gnaw away to their heart's delight but they can't swallow the whole thing because we're holding the end. Sort of a nice trust exercise too.

It will probably be alright. Good chance it will be vomited back up. Also possible it will digest and pass. The few times our dogs have swallowed something bigger than they should have, it worked out alright. But I do consider that pretty lucky and would certainly be on the look out for signs of an intestinal blockage as that is a possibility as well.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

I LOVE bully sticks for puppies because they can chew on it for a week (whereas an adult will eat like $25 worth of bully stick in 10 minutes). When they get real short, I give them to an adult and let them eat the rest.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

My dog would swallow the last piece of the bully stick too when she was a puppy. And she would also end up throwing the last piece back up. LOL So I would always take the last little piece away from her. Now that she is an adult...I cut the 12" in half and only give her half at a time and she chews it up pretty good before swallowing the last piece. I agree...she will either digest it or throw it back up.
Pattycakes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2011, 01:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Update for anyone interested...

nothing unusual, no vomiting and the poops are normal so I guess it digested and passed!
I wish someone made a "treat holder" that you could clamp onto the small piece of bully stick or bone or whatever so they could chew and not swallow it. I tried holding a 3" piece of bully stick for Saber to chew today and I got a nice puncture wound in my finger from a canine tooth. Yowch.
Kira vom Snoozhaus ZZZ CGC!!!

Saber's Blog: Stuff Saber Does
cassadee7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2011, 02:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Stark did that twice when he was Saber's age.

Once he vomited back up a few hours later and the other time it must of got digested because I never saw it again. He was fine both times.

I usually tossed them away but I got busy and forgot about it and he got to it before I did. Now he'll treat it as a treat and chew them until they are gone.

elisabeth_00117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.