4 Month Old Pup German Shepherd Rash - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 4 Month Old Pup German Shepherd Rash

Hello Everyone!

How are you all doing? I hope all is well. Before reading this I must warn you... Please be aware that this is my first time fully owning a dog. He picked me to be his master/owner, which I know can bring much joy to ones life but I worry so much about him as I want the best for my little guy. It's as if I'm a new parent and every experience is completely new to me and I'm not sure what to do. So please bare with me. Here goes...

I am in need of some help... My 4 month old puppy has some type of rash on his belly (Near his family jewels) and right where his front and hind legs meet his body (armpits?)
He has these little pink/red dots/bumps around these so called "hot spots"
When he begins to scratch himself he goes to town to the point he starts whining. I try to keep him occupied with something else so he leaves it alone but its tough watching him like a hawk.

I've taken him to the vet and I was informed he might be allergic to Chicken so change it to Lamb? I thought it was fleas at first but I never seen fleas do this much damage. He recently got his first treatment for fleas and will get another in February.
What could it be and how am I able to help him out? Change his diet? Is it too hot or too cold in the house? We have hardwood and tile all over the house, no carpet just a rug here and there but we steam clean everything with hot water, no chemicals. Everything that happens to him I feel is life threatening so please help me!
I snapped a few photos of the rash if anyone is interested.

History if needed:

I've owned the dog since 3pm December 18th 2010. So its been 3 weeks and those three weeks have been like a roller coaster. On the third day of bringing him home he didn't eat much nor did he want to drink water, he threw up outside twice then once overnight. I immediately thought it was ParvoVirus, took him to the vet he got some medication but he wanted to see his stool to see if he had worms. He didn't go bathroom for a few days while on the meds, was eating boiled rice and boiled chicken breast during that time then finally after praying so hard for his health he pooped found roundworms! Found something that looked like an elastic band that he was chewing on, I immediately grab it and bring that to the vet along with his stool that morning He got his first deworming pills and got his second a few days ago. I was upset at the breeder as she told me he had everything done up to date but I quickly didn't care about that I just wanted my dog to live!

He also had, what I thought was some type of ear infection as I understand its common among German Shepherds. His right ear was half way up the first few days I brought him home but then went right down until I brought him to the vet a few days ago to get his second deworming pills. He has a little bit of fur inside his ear that got clogged up so the vet gave me some ear drops and it should go away... hopefully. The vet looked into his ear the first time I noticed it but said there is no ear infection. I was informed by him to clean his ears with gauze so no dirt falls down and causes an ear infection which I have been doing gently since.

The breeder fed the pups some Costco puppy food, which I believe is equivalent to McDonalds, no offense to anyone who uses that, I just want top notch for my dog. The vet mentioned, Eukanuba, Science Diet, Royal Canine, Iams (in that order) are all good. Which one is best out of all? Or should I be cooking him food? I don't like the idea of trial and error with my puppy as I don't want to hurt his stomach by giving him different types of food then another rash breaks out or something worse! But I guess process of elimination is the only way?

That's pretty much everything for now. I don't want to bother you all by giving you his life story minute by minute, although I am able to provide that as I catalogue every little thing he does for reference (Yes, I know, I'm crazy and paranoid)
My parents had German Shepherds when they were raising my older sisters and brother back in Poland but they had a very large property so their dogs pretty much ran wild and they never really got sick. From what I was told it was different with dogs back then it seemed they were more healthier for some reason.

If anyone needs more information or has some suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks
Cheers
Mike
mikeschmeee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Hi! I don't know what the bumps are from. If they are from fleas then it sounds like you are taking care of that. As for the foods the vet recommended...I have to be honest and say that all of them are NOT good foods. I would look into feeding your dog Orijen, Wellness, Canidae or even Blue Buffalo. I'm sure someone will post a link to the foods so you can compare them. I can't remember the link off the top of my head...but if you also search here on the forums for foods to feed your dog, I'm sure you will get a lot of information. And there are a lot of people on here that do the RAW diet as well.

For the bumps/rash, I would get some Vetericyn and spray it on the areas that are causing him discomfort. The stuff is amazing. Its safe enough for us to use as well...which I have. And its safe enough to use in the eyes and ears. I always have a bottle on hand not only for myself, but for our dogs and our horses.

My dog is allergic to chicken products so I had switched her to Blue Buffalo Basics Salmon and Potato formula at around 10 months old. All the problems she was having went away within the first couple of days. She very seldom scratches and her coat is shiny and healthy.

I hope you can find something that works for your puppy! Good luck!
Pattycakes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have one thing to say... What a crappy breeder. The puppies were wormie and fed them trashy food....what a mess
Old 01-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattycakes View Post
Hi! I don't know what the bumps are from. If they are from fleas then it sounds like you are taking care of that. As for the foods the vet recommended...I have to be honest and say that all of them are NOT good foods. I would look into feeding your dog Orijen, Wellness, Canidae or even Blue Buffalo. I'm sure someone will post a link to the foods so you can compare them. I can't remember the link off the top of my head...but if you also search here on the forums for foods to feed your dog, I'm sure you will get a lot of information. And there are a lot of people on here that do the RAW diet as well.

For the bumps/rash, I would get some Vetericyn and spray it on the areas that are causing him discomfort. The stuff is amazing. Its safe enough for us to use as well...which I have. And its safe enough to use in the eyes and ears. I always have a bottle on hand not only for myself, but for our dogs and our horses.

My dog is allergic to chicken products so I had switched her to Blue Buffalo Basics Salmon and Potato formula at around 10 months old. All the problems she was having went away within the first couple of days. She very seldom scratches and her coat is shiny and healthy.

I hope you can find something that works for your puppy! Good luck!
Thank you for your suggestions. I have never heard of those brands but then again I am fairly new to the dog world other then the basics. Perhaps it's an American brand only? I will look into this though along with the spray. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyjo View Post
I have one thing to say... What a crappy breeder. The puppies were wormie and fed them trashy food....what a mess
Everything seemed fine when I met the puppy and his parents but after this experience I completely agree. I feel that I saved his life. He pooped out so many worms when he got his first deworming pills. I'll never look at spaghetti the same way again. haha.
I feel that I should contact this so called breeder and inform her but the receptionist at the vet's office said don't bother it won't do any good.
I would atleast like to contact Canadian Kennel Club and inform them of the situation so they can forward the message to others who have purchased a pup from the breeder. If it even is a breeder. After all I know it could have been some stray dog that she found? I dunno, I don't really care as of right now, I love my dog and I want the best for him. I want him to life a fruitful life, to grow up healthy and strong!
mikeschmeee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

If you live in Canada, I believe you can get Orijen there as well as Blue Buffalo brands and maybe even Wellness.
Pattycakes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955

It could be a staph infection. Do any of the bumps have little whiteheads?
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
paulag1955 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011, 03:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Some notes from your thread..

Costco's food is most certainly not equal to mcdonalds. Look up the ingredients - it's actually a pretty decent food that many here frequently recommend for a good quality reasonably priced food. It is not like wal-mart brand food. Kirkland is pretty decent, and they even have a grain free formula. the brand you listed (science diet, eukanuba, iams, etc) are all crap foods full of corn and other grain. Do some reading on the nutrition forum here, there are TONS of threads about great foods.

The CKC doesn't give a darn if your puppy has worms. Thankfully you had a fecal run and dewormed the pup, but the CKC certainly doesn't care, and they most definitely won't be contacting other puppy buyers to inform them to deworm their dogs.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

This is a great site to compare dog food: Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings.
melindajane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
DTS
Master Member

jasmine had bumps like that around 5-7 months old. sometimes the would have puss at the end of them. they would come and go. the bumps were in the same spots as you described. we took her to the vet, where he gave her 2 shots, medication pills, and a medicated shampoo. the shampoo has helped tremedously. vet said she could be having a reaction to the shampoo we were using. we feed diamond naturals. no soy, corn, or wheat in it. after all of that and the shampoo, they are gone

Last edited by DTS; 01-09-2011 at 03:54 PM.
DTS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955

Costco's Kirkland brand is decent dog food. I'm a little surprised, though, that the breeder was feeding the puppy formula, since it's not especially designed for large breed puppies. Our breeder fed Costco's adult formula to her pups, but we opted for something different.
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
paulag1955 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.