German Shepherds Forum banner

The itching is so bad today

6K views 55 replies 21 participants last post by  taerga 
#1 ·
I am very frustrated right now with Dutch's diet and I really don't know what to do.

He has been so itchy all morning. He has been licking and chewing on his legs and his belly, and he's been scratching his years to the point where he has some scabs in them. He's been doing this for a month now, but today seems really bad.

I don't know what to do anymore... We've got him on an allergy/LID bison and sweet potato kibble from Natural Balance, but it doesn't seem to be making a difference. He's been on that kibble for a couple weeks now.

I just want to find something he can and will eat that will stop giving him food allergies.

#49 ·
I would pay for a blood test sent to a lab for analysis instead of playing the guessing game(which I did for two years).
I have an allergy GSD too, fish oil and benedryl don't even take the edge off, I also inject her with a serum made up by the lab(Heska) that did her testing.
I now know that my dog is severely allergic to dust mites. I wish it would have just been chicken.

#52 ·
I'm just thinking more and more that it's not a food allergy. His poop looks good now, but the rash remains. We're switching him back to Nature's Variety chicken raw food slowly, and we'll see how he does. In the meantime he's on his meds. If after the three weeks he isn't cleared up and feeling better, I'll pay for the testing to find out what he's allergic to.

#54 ·
Correct me if I misread but was your pup on antibiotics before for something? Did your vet do a scrapping of the skin this time to rule out yeast? Often times one can lead to the other.

Max was on antibiotics for a UTI as a pup, after the firs course the vet tested him and because he still had bacteria she gave him a second course. His poor belly started itching, it almost looked like ring worm but I figured out it was yeast. By the way he was on kefir while on the anitibiotics but it was not enough.

I found a holistic supplement in one of my books that helped. I will go dig up the book and post what it was. Also I recommend the book Raw & Natural Nutrition for Dogs by Lew Olson. It does address skin issues and feeding in there.

#55 ·
I found it, it is called Para-Yeast capsules. I do not remember where I ordered them but I had to do a google. Of course now that I read back it does sound like a staph and not yeast.

However you might want to check this out to see if your pup fits any of these descriptions Assessing Allergies or Skin Problems in Pets | Nzymes.com. I have used this companies products. My last pup had Oral Papilloma Warts or Oral Growths in Dogs | Nzymes.com Most of what I read about that is that vets charge $500 to remove them and then they come back. They have to run their course and can take months. I bought their product and followed their instructions and it worked in less than a week! I will also say the company is great to deal with. I highly recommend them.

#56 ·
Here's what worked for us...DINOVITE! You can get it online. It saved my dogs life! She itched 24/7 stinky and miserable. I tried all kinds of foods and was desperate! I tried it and in about 4 days we noticed a difference. She no longer itches bites smells!! Her hair is starting to grow back on her butt and legs! Try it, what do you have to lose?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.