New puppy, poo problems, etc. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2010, 05:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New puppy, poo problems, etc.

We picked up an 8 1/2 week old puppy in LA a week ago. While he looked a little thin to me at the breeder's location, I watched his behavior and movement and considering there were 2 litters on the ground, I figured he was ok. I've raised up pups that started out a little thin and they turned out to be bigguns! Saw the parents and they looked great. The area was clean, the puppy was clean, vaccination and worming records, etc. The breeder had been feeding him Eukanuba (yuk). We bought some on the way home just so we could use that to slowly transition him to better food.

Murphy slept almost all the way home to the Vegas area on my lap. The breeder gave him his second puppy shots before we left, so I expected there might be some tummy upset and was prepared for that. What I wasn't prepared for was the yellow liquid poo 2 days later. Freaked me out! Took him to the vet on Sunday. They wanted to keep him overnight and put him on IV fluids and anti-biotics, run blood and stool. The vet said there was a little protein in his blood, but wanted to hold off for about a week on testing for EPI.

Brought him home 24 hours later (Monday evening). Energy level was doubled. He's on Flagyl 100 mg chewable twice a day and chicken and rice diet. The vet advised 4 to 5 small meals a day. I'm giving him about 1/2 to 2/3 cup rice/chicken 4 times a day. He gladly eats it all and looks for more. He's into everything, chewing, alert, playful, watch-dogging as only a 9 1/2 week old can do, chases and wrestles with the 20 lb cat... in short, he's the typical puppy handful! His ears even went up (albeit, probably temporarily).

Monday evening his stools were soft and light brown. Tuesday afternoon, very soft and lighter brown. Wednesday morning, liquid and more yellow than brown (I'm starting to worry again). Then nothing until that night when they became more like pudding and light brown. He's drinking, eating (and looking for more and other things), happy, totally bonded, alert, etc. I'm convinced, as is my adult daughter, that he's gaining weight. He's sleeping at least 7 hours at night without the need to potty.

I've seen a lot of folks have had their pups on Flagyl for the poo issue. I guess what I'd like to know is how long after treatment started did you begin to see results in young puppies? Should I be concerned/obsessed about EPI at this point? If Murphy had the typical transition/vaccination loose stool I wouldn't have been as worried, but the yellow-liquid poo in such a young puppy really scared me. Any other suggestions? The vet recommended waiting 3 days after normal stools before introducing kibble again. I'm seriously considering ditching the Eukanuba altogether since he'll have been without dry food for a number of days, and slowly giving him California Natural Lamb and Rice Puppy.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Wegypsies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2010, 09:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I know it's very disconcerting and you'll become a poop expert before long! Sounds like he's headed in the right direction since he's eating, drinking, playing etc. Switching to a better quality food will help. Some dogs can't tolerate chicken very well so you might try cooked ground beef- rinse it after you cook it- with brown rice rather than white. I imagine he's on flagyl for 10 days or so, you may not see 'normal' poop until a couple of days after he's off of it. So what's his name? He's very cute!
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I agree with Stosh about some dogs not tolerating chicken. My GSD had that problem so I know when she has a stomach/digestive issue...she gets fed the ground beef and rice.

He is cute. More pictures please.
Pattycakes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2010, 11:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I just went through the same thing. Has the poop been tested for parasites? Specifically coccidia and giardia (giardia requires a different test). Mine had both as well as hook worms. Once you rule all of that out (note it can take more than one fecal to discover) then look at food. Often the high end foods are too rich and it take awhile for them to adapt or going to a medium range food at first then transitioning sometimes helps as well.
GSDAlphaMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

I had the same sort of issues with my pup - after several visits to vet, tests, various food, medications, etc. - switched him to raw - within 12 hours no more tummy issues and haven't had any since (i'm still shocked)... he is now 7 mos old - and is a healthy, happy, rabble rouser!
jkscandi50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2010, 01:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Flagyl/metro normally takes effect very quickly. I would suspect something else is going on.

Are you overcooking the rice? Any grain should be cooked to the point of mush: twice as long with twice as much water. You could also try oatmeal or something more novel like quinoa or sweet potatoes and scrambled eggs.

I would also give probiotics separately from the flagyl.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2010, 01:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDAlphaMom View Post
I just went through the same thing. Has the poop been tested for parasites? Specifically coccidia and giardia (giardia requires a different test). Mine had both as well as hook worms. Once you rule all of that out (note it can take more than one fecal to discover) then look at food. Often the high end foods are too rich and it take awhile for them to adapt or going to a medium range food at first then transitioning sometimes helps as well.
Just went through that with my new puppy. He had giardia and coccidia. Took about 3 weeks and now their gone. He was on albon for the coccidia, metronidazole for the giardia and spastolate to help give firmer stools.
Rusty_212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.