Need help with Ear Yeast - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2010, 10:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need help with Ear Yeast

I wanted to find out if there is a home method for dealing with a yeast problem in the ears. I was told by the groomer Saturday that Cisco, our 5 1/2 mo old pup, has a yeast infection in his ears. I had noticed that he was shaking his head alot recently. When he went in for his neuter last month, the vet checked his ears but said nothing was wrong, just dirty. She cleaned them and he seemed to do OK for a little while. Now he's shaking again and his groomer said the cotton ball smelled bad when she cleaned his ears. I have called the vet but they are off for the holiday today. Anything I can do till I can get him in?
Sadiesmama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I wouldn't screw around with ears. I feel the best way to deal with it is to get him in tomorrow and get some medicine for him.

If he has recurring problems with his ears, you may want to look into changing his diet. From what I read, diet can make a huge difference in ear problems.
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you, I will get him in tomorrow and also ask her about his diet.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

The only way to detect that your dog has a yeast infection in the ears is to swab it and check it out under a microscope. Smelling it isn't it a reliable indicator. It might be infection as well. Your best bet is to take him to the vet to get it checked out. I've seen many ear infections both bacterial, allergy induced, and yeast. Its best to have your vet check it out. The ears are delicate and many "homemade" meds do more harm than good. Good luck.

"Kane" 2-12-09

I believe in integrity. Dogs have it. Humans are sometimes lacking it.
Cesar Milan
bunchoberrys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

I got a call back from the vet. They are in the office today, just happened to be real busy when I called, that's why I got the voicemail. They are going to see him later today so cross your fingers that it's not bad.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I dealt with yeast ear infection when mine was about 12 weeks old. The swabbed his ears to test for mites-no mites but yeast. They cleaned his ears out and showed me how to do it. They gave me a ointment to drop in his ears-they cleared up quick.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Corn starch worked great for our dog. He had yeast infection in both ears and they smelled very very bad ... someone from a local rescue told us to try corn starch and after about 5 applications, the infections were gone.
TKInTN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2010, 09:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunchoberrys View Post
The only way to detect that your dog has a yeast infection in the ears is to swab it and check it out under a microscope. Smelling it isn't it a reliable indicator. It might be infection as well. Your best bet is to take him to the vet to get it checked out. I've seen many ear infections both bacterial, allergy induced, and yeast. Its best to have your vet check it out. The ears are delicate and many "homemade" meds do more harm than good. Good luck.
I agree. My female has had a few yeast infections. The correct treatment from the vet actually costs less than trying to concoct home made remedies that more often just push or flood the harmful yeast further into the ear canal. Ear problems of any kind can make a dog absolutely miserable so I wouldn't play around with it. Get the correct diagnosis and treatment from the vet.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2010, 07:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

Update: Ok, so Cisco saw our vet yesterday. She tried to look in his ears but the little man was adamant that it wasn't going to happen. He is one stubborn little man. She did a swab and no mites (thank goodness) but yes, he does have a yeast infection. She gave us some drops (Mometamax) to put in his ears once a day for 10 days. It says eight drops per ear but since we have to hold his head tight to do this, she said just one big squirt/squeeze should do it. Poor little man, his ears hurt so bad. Hopefully we can get this under control. She says if he keeps having yeast infections, she wants to check him for allergies. If that's the case, he will have to be on allergy meds year round. UGH!!
Old 10-12-2010, 08:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Instead of allergy meds year round...find out what the allergy is and avoid it. It's very possible it's a food problem. Read the RAW forum. Time and again, recurring problems have been helped by changing to a grain free diet. What are you feeding him?
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.