Dry skin/Fur loss - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dry skin/Fur loss

Hi all,
Been a busy few months, so sorry I haven't posted much. I had a question, and knew this would be the place to start looking for an answer.
Bear developed SEVERE dry, itchy, flaky skin over the last 4-6 months. I was absolutely at my wits end, and had eliminated every ingredient in his diet one at a time to see if it was a food allergy. It wasn't. I BELIEVE we have it figured out, but if you want to chime in on that too I wouldn't mind hearing opinions.
I had started, about six months ago, giving him a fish oil supplement. When I thought back, the time line for the itchiness seemed to line up. I did some research (Yes, I should have done that first!) and it seems fish oil can lead to a vitamin e deficiency. A month ago I began to give Bear 400mui daily of vitamin e in addition to the fish oil. MOST of the dry, crusty, flaky spots on him that had developed are now gone, HOWEVER, on his rump, which has ALWAYS been a particularly bad spot for him with regards to dry, flaky skin, it really crusted up, and as the crusty, flaky skin fell away, the fur did too.
I wondered how long this type of fur loss usually takes to recuperate? I don't mind him being bald back there (Although explaining to people that he doesn't have a skin disease gets old.), but I want to know what kind of time line we might be looking at. I'm trying to involve the vet as little as possible, as they have flip-flopped on their previous raw diet stance once this problem began. The first words out of their mouths were "Hill's Science Diet would probably fix this."
Ugh.
So anyway, chime in on either part of the topic. Have any of you experienced a vitamin e deficiency when feeding fish oil (I use Springtime Inc's 3-6-9 pills, 3 per day.) and did increasing vitamin e fix the issue? Has anyone dealt with fur loss of this type before?
Thanks.

All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost.
-Tolkien, 1954

DrDoom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2010, 06:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

I can't comment (with any intelligence) on what is going on that is causing the hair loss, but I know with Bella, she had hair loss on her belly and we treated w/ antihistimines and it grew back in about a month.
JudynRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you are giving fish oil, you need to supplement with vitamin E(400iu daily of e to 2000mg of fish oil) dogs naturally produce E but the fish oil will deplete it, thats why supplementing is recommended. Many supplements may have E included for this reason, check what you are giving for actual ingredients. I would also supplement with vitamin C it will help reduce any inflammation and help support the immune system if there is a skin issue going on. Start at 500mg(human grade) and slowly up the dosage to 2000mg over a week or two-split between meals.

I would get a skin scraping done, have a blood allergy test run along with a thyroid test. Guessing wastes time, and doesn't diagnose what you can get from a lab in a weeks time.

Last edited by onyx'girl; 09-30-2010 at 07:18 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Have you considered flea allergy or seborrhea? A skin scrape was also suggested and is a good idea.

enjoying life with Penny 6/04 & Blaze 11/12
while Sasha watches over us

www.swingsetsbydesign.com
natalie559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 05:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, I took him to the vet on Saturday. We have two vets in our practice, and the one is very anti-raw. Dr. Mike (The one we saw) isn't. Anyway, he didn't feel it was nutritional at all, and after we went over Bear's diet, he even complimented me on the work and thought I put into feeding him. No, he felt it was allergies. We feed Bug Off garlic, and Bear's NEVER had a flea or tick problem since we started. Dr. Mike concurred that he saw NO evidence of a bug presence. He feels it is environmental allergies, and that as the skin got more inflamed an infection sprung up as well. He prescribed a medicated shampoo for now, as well as some antibiotics (Chor-something) and a steroid (Predisone maybe? Sorry, I'm not at home to look at the bottles.). He is already doing MUCH better. The skin has stopped being inflamed, the redness is gone, he is almost never scratching, and the flaky skin seems dead, not...waxy like it did before. Obviously the hair hasn't grown back, but I'm confident it will.
Still, I'd love to know what caused it. He did have the thyroid tested. It came back a two, and Dr. Mike said for Bear's age that was fine. He mentioned a simple grass allergy and asked if Bear goes in tall grass. Well, lol, he does. All the time, so that could be it. After these medicines have run their course am I going to have to keep him out of the grass? Because that will be hard. Obviously I'll ask Dr. Mike during our follow up in a few weeks, but does anyone have any experience with environmental allergies?

-Tolkien, 1954

Old 10-07-2010, 06:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hey my neighbour's doggies hairs are getting loss day by day. plz suggest me so that i can help her. She is German shepherd.
caril is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My dog has environmental allergies(dust mites) she was tested for everything, it was not diagnosed by a vet guessing.
I have an air filter running in the room she occupies most and give her vitamin C and benedryl daily...she's on a raw diet as well.
Pred is something I will not put her on, it isn't a cure and has side effects. Though if the dog is scratching itself raw, then that may be the only option.
Caril: Read some of the threads about diet and mange, fleas...your neighbors dog could have one or all of the above contributing to the coat loss.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah, the medicine's Dr. Mike prescribed are Cephalexin and Prednisolone. What kind of side-effects are we talking about? He mentioned bad thirst, which bear has definitely had since starting, but yesterday he started doing something I've NEVER seen him do. He tried to eat his own poop. Later, he snuck into the room the litterbox is in and got some of the cat's poop before we could stop him. He has NEVER shown this type of behavior before. Is it the drugs? What other side effects are we possibly in for?

-Tolkien, 1954

Old 10-07-2010, 06:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

He may leak urine, there are several things that can happen when dogs are on Pred:
Prednisone Side Effects in Dogs
google for more links
Old 10-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well, the excessive thirst and hunger definitely have happened. I mean, what can I do? I tried everything else from an allergy standpoint, but it just kept getting worse. I will monitor him closely, and see what, if any, side effects beyond thirst and hunger happen.

-Tolkien, 1954

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.