German Shepherds Forum banner

Degenerative Myelopathy

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  boeselager 
#1 ·
My girl Kiya is not a GSD, she is a Shiloh Shepherd, 6 yrs old, I would like any advice from anyone who has experience with DM. After a slight increase in one of her seizure meds which is known for causing ataxia, her back leg drag has gotten bad enough that when we came back from our walk Saturday morning I saw blood trails on the floor. I cleaned her up and put a dog bootie on. Obviously she's not going for walks for a while. I stopped going in the trails a because the ticks are so bad, so we've been walking the pavement and its taking it's toll on her. I'm pretty sure its DM and not just a result of the med increase, I noticed the paw drag a long time ago, but it was not as prevalent as it is now. Our last GSD, Chazzy had it among other health issues. Maybe I can make better choices for Kiya now before it gets worse.

#3 ·
there are many causes of seizures so I am not sure what the cause of ur dogs may be and I don't know what you are using to treat. But, I would seriously consider the medications side effects further as a possible connection. Either way a dog cart would resolve your walking issues and enable the muscles to still get the exercise they need to keep hind end strength. We used this one for a past girl who had DM....

WHEELCHAIRS FOR DOGS: providing mobility for dogs with hind leg disabilities

This was a good one because we took her hiking on trails and to the beach, so the knobby tires were awesome.

In addition, here are some interesting articles and a link to the Dr. Clemmons protocol which I would recommend you look at. If you are not giving fish oil, I would also recommend high doses daily with vitamin e and a quality vitamin. A quality unprocessed diet either raw or cooked can have impressive results. Additives, colorings and preservatives in commercial dog foods is said to have some relation to dogs with seizures.

http://smj.sma.org.sg/4911/4911cr13.pdf

Vitamin B12 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Role of a Healthy Natural Diet in the Management of Canine Epilepsy

Degenerative Myelopathy of German Shepherds (Clemmons protocol)

Just some thoughts for you.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.