Life Expectancy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Life Expectancy

For those of you with purebreds, how long have your dogs generally lived, and what did they die of?

I've always had mixed breeds, and they lived about 14-17 years. I've had one purbred (from a backyard breeder) that was rife with health problems, and didn't make it to 4 years old.

It seems I've seen many that have been lost around 12 years. Is this true? I wish I could post a poll.
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2010, 08:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

I've had one make it to 14 and another to almost 13, and another we lost at 10. Currently have one that will be 11 in Aug and another that will be 12 in Oct, and don't expect to lose either anytime soon. I have known a couple others that made it to 13-15, but those are unusual. I would say with GSDs 12 is around average.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My purebred shepherd died in his sleep at age 12. That was 10 years ago. When I was a kid, we had a purebred Lab that died at age 14. It seems that they are living longer these days though.
Wolfiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2010, 08:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Chris, what did your dogs die of, if I may ask?
Old 06-17-2010, 08:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I was wondering about dogs that are anxious or have a high metabolism, their life spans are the same? You'd almost think the stress they live with would shorten their lives.
There is a beagle mix where I work and she has been on SD and Beneful thruout her life, she is so old looking for her age, it makes me wonder if her diet contributed to that, too! She is about 8 and looks double that, not overweight at all, maybe it is all the grey that has come in over the years.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've had two GSDs die at 12: one from severe arthritis from elbow dysplasia and the other from some sort of abdominal cancer. I had one GSD die at 10 from osteosarc and a greyhound at 12 from laryngeal paralysis. I had a mixed breed die at 15 from gastric reflux.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackviolet View Post
Chris, what did your dogs die of, if I may ask?
14yo had some sort of seizure or stroke and just died. Had been perfectly healthy up to that point.

The one who made it to almost 13 we PTS last fall. She could have kept going, but bad days were starting to outnumber the good. She had some back problems and also mammary cancer and just started going downhill.

The 10 yo we're really not sure. He got a small sore on his elbow on day when outside and within a day it was huge and the tissue was decaying. There was some sort of necrotizing toxin in there. It kept spreading and got infected, nothing the vet could come up with to do helped. Eventually the infection became systemic and he started running a high fever that was addling his brain, and with it getting worse and nothing helping we had to PTS. Don't know if whatever the toxin was was that strong, or if being older with a weaker immune system he just couldn't fight it despite all the drugs and topicals. Very strange. He was fine one day, and PTS for reasons unknown within a week. Vet suspected brown recluse spider bite, but we will never know for sure.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

I think this chart is interesting on this page - going by weight:
Aging in dogs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have had one PB GSD who passed - at 11y9m from GI lymphoma. I got her when she was 8. She was a rescue but I had her pedigree - she was from a mother-son oops litter. She had an IgA deficiency, pyoderma, hypothyroid. She was wonderful though.

My GSD-Chow mix was at least 16. He weighed around 55# she was about 66#.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

My first died at nine.... after a good day of play, she walked past me wagging her tail and a few minutes later had a seizure and died. My next passed away at 12. She had hip problems; but I think at the end it was some spinal disease. We lost our next one at only 20 months. He had congenital kidney problems - hit about 75 pounds, and his kidneys could not longer function enough to keep him alive... very tragic, and our vet said very rare. We now have two, ages are three and four. I have heard that 10-12 years is what is usual for a GSD.
Maggie
Baer

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras
Baersmama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2010, 02:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

We've lost a lot of GSDs on this board at a young age too. Bloat takes some, cancer takes a lot. A couple pups were lost to distemper right after their distemper vaccinations too.

LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.