German Shepherds Forum banner

poop question

7K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  GSDElsa 
#1 ·
Since I have 'tweaked' Dakota diet, he has been doing much better. Today however he had a lot of mucus covering his poop, almost looked like snot. I almost took a picture it was so weird. This morning he has firm poop, but there were a couple pieces that had a slimy film and some snot stuff on it. The this afternoon we went on another wolk and this time there was about 3 times as much snot/mucus covering the poop. It wasn't a bad poop over all though. It was nice and formed and a nice orange color...thanks sweet potatoes. Does anyone know what it is??? Or if I should be worried?

For anyone curious this is what he currently is getting for foodz.

17 oz. MM (either ground turkey, ground beef, random chicken pieces from a cut op chicken (no bones....pretty sure it was breasts, and thighs(deboned)), chicken gizzards, beef hearts)

12 oz. RMB (turkey necks, chicken parts de-skinned and defatted(he can't handle the fat content)...has had backs, necks, wings, legs)

0.1-0.2 oz Beef liver (can't handle anymore than that at one time)

Additive...per day.

1 raw egg (no shell)
1/2 tsp Pet dophilus probiotic
1 TBSP Missing Link
1.5 scoops Bug Off garlic granules
1 tbsp Yogurt
1 scoop tripe (canned)
4 (1000 mg) Fish oil
1 (400 iu) Vitamin E

Snacks:
peanut butter kong
unsalted peanuts
Hotdogs (chicken and beef)
Mozz. Cheese

See less See more
#2 ·
no help here, but vinny and cherry get the same slime-covered poops pretty frequently. vinny, especially, can't have too little bone. even a leg quarter plus some MM and a little OM to get to his total ounces needed for the day will give him diarrhea for a day or so. he has to have a back with his quarter or he's got the runs. i figure the slime comes from something along that line (not the right combination of bone/muscle meat) but haven't yet totally conquered it.

#3 ·
Also forgot to add. He also gets canned fish (mackerel and Salmon) as well as a MM.

And he gets 8 oz. of potatoes a day. (2 oz. white potato and 6 oz. sweet potato.)

#4 ·
my experience has been that mucous indicates a bowel irritation of some kind, whether by food, parasite etc.....fast and maybe up the probiotics would be my first thought....not sure what you tweaked, may or may not be the culprit.....

#5 ·
Yeah, generally mucus means large intenstine irritation of some kind. EPI dogs can get it (or any dog that might be having some enzyme funkiness), it can be from a food change, and whipworms are a super-common reason for it. It's a common thing in IBS dogs and humans alike.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you it's just the food changes are getting things moving a little too fast.

We found out a foster we had in December had whipworms (her fecal was negative when we had her, but was positive a couple weeks after they had her). I've been soooooooo paranoid since then! We switched to Interceptor for HW. But, Elsa had some soft poops with mucus covering it and I FREAKED OUT thinking it was whipworms. Those are NASTY little buggers.

#6 ·
Well he has had a little bit of Mucus in the stool before. But not this much.... it was like 3/4 poop, and 1/4 mucus. i'll keep an eye out tomorrow and see if anything changes. I might even post a pic if its bad.. ewww. I really don't think he has SIBO. he does seem to have some of the symptoms, but not others. Ever since we had him he gets bouts of diarrhea. Both on kibble and on raw. His tummy makes noises throughout the day, mostly after he eats or a few hours after. He also has gas P.U. The other symptoms according to a website were weight loss and decreases appetite. Since he is lean but no skinny and he eats like a good boy, those are not present.

#7 ·
our female was "diagnosed" with colitis....the mucous was really the only indication; was primarily stress induced and a slight allergy to cooked beef.....can try slippery elm and mixing psyllium husks with his MM....worked like a charm on ours

#8 · (Edited)
Kira,

Know what almost perfectly cleared up Elsa's occasional diarrehea?? Prozyme! She's never tested positive for EPI, but I never had her poops where they were really consistently solid and small. My parents' homeopathic vet from back home told me to put her on it. He recommends it to a lot of his clients with GSD's, even with once in a while runny poops.

Even on a food that agreed with her, about once a week there would be something mushy thrown in there. We've had her on Prozyme...only 1/8 of a teaspoon sprinkled over her food AM & PM,... for about 6 months now and the mucus poop from last month is the ONLY time in the period where she had some nasty poops. We order it offline for $11 a bottle and we use such a small amount that it lasts like 3-4 months.

I really swear it just gives a little oompf with the enzyme production and can make a huge difference!

I know there are lots of other causes for what you're seeing, but adding just that little bit of Prozyme to the meal helped us so much within a short time period, it might be worth it to try! Especially since you can find it so cheap and if it's a really minor issue only have to use such a small amount.

Gib, do you give slippery elm every day? I love that stuff, but thought you were only supposed to use it for short bouts (like 1-2 weeks) and then give a rest? Just wondering!

#10 ·
Gib, do you give slippery elm every day? I love that stuff, but thought you were only supposed to use it for short bouts (like 1-2 weeks) and then give a rest? Just wondering!
Only as needed now. In the beginning it was used to stabilize, which took a couple weeks. Totally right it needs a rest now and then.....if given longer term we took a 2-3 days of after a 5 day stretch or so and then started back. It's such good stuff tho, it only took about 3 weeks max. when she was really bad. She hasn't had a bout in 18 months, but the psyllium has really made the difference in terms of maintenance.

#9 ·
hmm, Do you know if it would react with anything I am feeding him now?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.