Dry Skin - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2010, 08:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Dry Skin

Okay any remedies for dry skin besides fish oil gel caps?

Fish oil caps and all gel caps cause Havoc to have gloppy poo.

Hubby tells me he is scratching quite a bit and I had recommended he add fish oil. The oil gives him the trots.

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC (1/03)
UAG1,UNC1,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V. TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH (6/07)
UAG1,URO1 Tidmore's Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" BN,NA,RN,HT,CGC, (4/12)

Lucky, Wolf, Max
Kayos and Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 08:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: Dry Skin

humidifier, raw egg
Old 01-04-2010, 08:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Mandalay Send a message via Yahoo to Mandalay

A quick fix would be to bathe him in Murphy Oil Soap. Leave him to soak for a couple minutes then rinse. My Doberman came down with dry skin every winter and that was what the breeder told me to do to offer immediate relief (even oatmeal was not working) while I waited for the fish oil pills to kick in and do their job from the inside out. It worked marvelously, BUT...it took FOREVER for her to dry. So I can only imagine how long it would take for a GSD to dry. If your DH can tolerate a wet dog running rampant through the house for a while, then I'd give it a try.

Again, it is only a temporary solution. Are there any kind of oatmeal type pills on the market that would work where fish oil tabs fall short?

Also, does anyone know how much fish oil our dopgs can have in a day? Mandi get 3 x 1000mg each morning, but now that it is getting colder and drier I was wondering if I can up it by a few. (Sorry, not trying to take over the thread - just thought of this as I was typing).
Mandalay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Mandalay Send a message via Yahoo to Mandalay

I have also heard of using Dr Bronner's soap, but I never used it on a dog. I have used it for ourselves, though. The bottle said you can use it as toothpaste. Don't. It tastes like soap. As a body wash it worked well, but oily since it is an oil soap.

http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/LS.htm

EDIT: It actually says here on their website that it can be used on pets (but it says it in the laundry section. Last I checked my dog was not considered laundry, but whatever)

http://www.drbronner.com/faqs_main.html#faq6
Mandalay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Emily, Joe will not bathe him, he will take him to the groomer for that. Were I not in Iraq I would be handling this and would give him a bath in tea tree oil.

We suspect he has allergies and plan on testing him when I get home in a few more months. At this point I don't think he is allergic to food but something in the environment and the winter dry air is making him more itchy. But fish oil makes his poo really bad.

Lucky, Wolf, Max
Old 01-04-2010, 09:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I use and recommend DerMagic products.
http://www.dermagic.com/DERMagic-Sha...tion_p_18.html

Best products for skin problems or just skin sensitive dogs I have ever used. I have been a dog groomer for over 20 years and have used 100's of products. I gathered that your hubby won't bathe your dog himself...maybe he could get his own shampoo and take to the groomer??

How about adding extra virgin coconut oil, if fish oil doesn't work?
Old 01-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
DnP
Elite Member

Kathy, how much oil is he giving him? Is it oil or gel-caps? If it is fish oil in actual oil form, could it be that he's not getting a slow introduction to the oil. Found Phoenix has the same issue when I first gave him the oil. I had to slowly introduce it, as in 1-2 squirts for a few days then add one extra squirt a couple days later...doing this until I was up to the recommended dose. W/ the winter itchies, I've been adding 2-3 extra squirts to help.

When I had to leave him at the kennel for a week over Thanksgiving I had to add the fish oil w/ capsules. When I got Phoenix back and put him back on straight oil, his poo was runny. Found out the hard way about slowly re-introducing it, even after he'd been on the oil for a year.

He seemed neither old nor young. His strength lay in his eyes. They look as old as the hills, and as young and as wild. I've never tired of looking into them.-John Muir
DnP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I use salmon oil rather than fish oil (which is a combination of oils from different fish.) I don't know if this would make a difference, but you could try it. General rule of thumb is 1000mg per 20 - 25 lbs body weight.... our 97 lb boy gets 5 caps per day, but not all at the same time. 3 in the a.m., 2 in the p.m....I also add one (1)400 IU vit E cap per day to balance the oil...I use capsules rather than liquid because the oil stays potent for much longer.

Our old fellow used to get a lot of dry skin the winter - it started when we turned the heat on in the house. A humidifier upstairs and down helped. A raw diet might have helped even more - the 2 dogs we have now have always been raw fed, and neither one of them has ever had a problem with dry skin. If you don't want to go that route you could try switching food - grain free, something like Orijen.

Anja GSD
Conor GSD - adopted from this Board
Blue GSD - waiting at the Bridge
Anja1Blue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 11:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Havoc was getting one cap a day, just one.......

Lucky, Wolf, Max
Old 01-04-2010, 11:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
DnP
Elite Member

Kathy, maybe try a half capful. Is he getting fish or salmon oil? I found the salmon oil had a stronger reactions when reintroduced vs. the fish oil I had previously used. Maybe try the fish or salmon oil capsules instead and see if he does better w/ those vs. the straight oil?

I can imagine your husband doesn't want to even try a drop of fish oil since he's the one picking up the poop right now...

Oops, just re-read your post. I see you ARE giving capsules and he's having that kind of reaction. Maybe try straight oil w/ only 1 or two pumps per day to start?

I know this has got to so frustrating for you, not being able to address this and the other issues w/ Havoc yourself.....

He seemed neither old nor young. His strength lay in his eyes. They look as old as the hills, and as young and as wild. I've never tired of looking into them.-John Muir
DnP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.