Dry skin remedy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2009, 06:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Dry skin remedy?

Every year in late fall/early winter Crazy White chews a hole in her back. It started two years ago and gets worse each year. The vet tested for allergies and she came back "clear" so he has suggested it is dry skin making her batty. I give her benadryl and add olive oil to her food per his directive. I also brush out the area to get the scabbing out of the hair.

This last week she has been so very bad about the chewing. I wake up to the sound of teeth morning at about 4 am. Her snowy white hair is discolored to the root and the scabs are awful!! Anyone have a suggestion for a vitamin or other natural way to handle her dry skin? Her recent oatmeal bath did nothing.....

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...00000909655241
dogsnkiddos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2009, 07:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: Dry skin remedy?

Fish oil? A humidifier in the house?

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC (1/03)
UAG1,UNC1,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V. TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH (6/07)
UAG1,URO1 Tidmore's Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" BN,NA,RN,HT,CGC, (4/12)

Lucky, Wolf, Max
Kayos and Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 07:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

vitamin e capsules....works for me, not sure about dogs
otherwise fish oil
triordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 08:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

fish oil in capsule form or liquid?

Old 12-16-2009, 08:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Capsules are better than liquid - the potency lasts a lot longer. General rule of thumb is (1) 1000mg cap per 25 lbs body weight. You must also supplement with a 400 IU cap Vit E to balance the fish oil (or plain salmon oil, I actually like that better.)

Some dogs get itchy/scratchy when the heating comes on and the air in the house dries out, it happened to one of our old GSD's every fall. A humifdifier can be helpful.

Anja GSD
Conor GSD - adopted from this Board
Blue GSD - waiting at the Bridge
Anja1Blue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 08:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD

Fish oil and vitamin E helps both of my dogs. Chance gets 3000mg of fish oil and 400 IU of vitamin E each day. He is 50lb. You can use up to 1000mg for each 10lb but you'll want to start off slow and more than likely, wont need that much to get results. I'd go with the 400 IU of the vitamin E for an adult GSD. (You should always feed vitamin E with fish oil since it helps it process better in the body plus it's a great vitamin for skin and coat health)

Chance has always gotten really itchy with a dry coat during the colder months but this year I started him on the fish oil and vitamin E about 7 or 8 months ago and so far we've had no problems with itching this year.

I use capsules as they're just easier to deal with IMO. A few places sell fish oil specifically sold for dogs that have vitamin E already in it and are in an easy to use pump jar. Though they are also more expensive.
ChancetheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 09:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

She ONLY chews one spot- directly above her tail. She is always dancing around trying to get me to scratch it. I am going to get her some fish oil- is there anything I am looking for specifically? I know when I buy it for my husband I am looking for particular DHA EHA levels. Should I stop the olive oil they have me adding to her food?

We cannot do a humidifier as my daughter has some severe health issues and use of one is restricted.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Get human grade salmon oil gelcaps from the pharmacy section of the grocery store/human grade vitamin E too.
If this is a hot spot, you can treat it by clipping the fur around the affected area, cleanse it with some diluted(brown) listerine and then use gold bond medicated powder on it. This usually clears a hot spot right up.
Olive oil can be stopped if you are adding the salmon oil. Raw eggs contain omegas, too-so an egg daily would benefit the skin/coat.
Humidity in the house will help everyone(edit, just read your daughters health issues-but for others who may be reading), I use a console unit and have been going thru about 4-5 gallons of water a day to maintain 30% humidity.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: dogsnkiddosShe ONLY chews one spot- directly above her tail.
Itching/chewing the tail base is a common symptom of flea allergy. Do you use a prevention? If it is really bad you could always use a bite not of soft e collar to prevent her from reaching the area.

I use this salmon oil,

http://www.vitacost.com/Carlson-Norwegian-Salmon-Oil

enjoying life with Penny 6/04 & Blaze 11/12
while Sasha watches over us

www.swingsetsbydesign.com
natalie559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 02:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

We use a flea preventative and always have- though when this first happened a few years ago I was convinced it had somehow failed (but been successful on the other two dogs and the cat). I had her tested for allergies at that time because the vet cleared us of fleas as an issue and was told she was allergy free. She had been eating Wellness when this started and we switched her food since it seemed to start when she started on Wellness... and frankly she seemed better after the switch...until the following late fall/early winter. Last year the benadryl and olive oil seemed to do the trick. This year it isn't.

She is about to have lunch- I will throw in a raw egg. I will be shopping for the salmon oil tonight at the health store. I want to get something straight away and then will shop for a better price for the long term. I may also try the hotspot treatment suggested. We will see if she is willing.... she is a bit crazy afterall....

Thanks all...hate to see her suffer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.