canned chicken broth ok? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2009, 06:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default canned chicken broth ok?

quick question for ya'll online --- my 12 week old puppy was diagnosed with pnuemonia yesterday (sorry, i don't know how to spell pnuemonia correctly)! i have tried feeding a list of things and he will not eat any of it. am now going to try chicken broth --- is canned broth ok or do i need to make it from proper chicken?

thank you!
sherripowell@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2009, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: canned chicken broth ok?

if i were going to give my dog chicken broth it
would be made from cooking a fresh chicken.
if i were going to use broth from a can i would want it to be all
natural/organic. i would perfer it not to have salt in it.

i hope your puppy feels better soon.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2009, 06:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

I agree with doggieDaD, I wouldn't get one with salt, or any additives or preservatives. All natural definitely if I were to by it from a store.

But I would also just cook a chicken as well, you know what's in the broth from that!

Hope pup gets well quick! Good luck

<u>Proud Mom of:</u>
"Dylan"- 17, Human
"Noah"- 10, Human
"Sieger"- 06/11/09, GSD
"Emma"- 05/05/02, feline princess
"Tess"- 05/05/02, cougar in a feline calico body
kaitrinn7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2009, 06:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Are you feeding just broth???? Or like a mixer to make his food more appealing? If he wont eat ANYTHING, have you tried a simple rice and boiled chicken mixture? plus the water you cook the chicken is broth you can use for the future. The canned has a LOT of sodium.... so i would be worried about that. I'm not a pro. just my 2 cents.

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
GSDSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2009, 07:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

You may have already tried this but it worked for my dog after his splenectomy...jars of baby food. It was important to get him eating and that is what my vet suggested.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Ask your vet for suggestions, but I also used organic baby food when my girl was on chemo. She liked it. How about some fresh chicken? I second concerns about store bought broth--too salty.

I don't know if the vet would recommend....but when all else fails, my dogs will eat deli-sliced turkey.

Aik vom Haus Gold "The Rock" Age 11

Zuzu--gsd DOB 4-21-09. Naughty n' nice

Lucy, Black GSD 2/1997-12-25-2008.
" T'was Heaven with you Here."

Dweezil, WGSD. RIP, 13
Moon, WGSD. RIP , 12
Shining found treasures both.

lucymom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2009, 07:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

While I'm not a fan of Science Diet, your vet may sell cans of ...I think it's the Science Diet C D, for easy digestion for a sick dog. Ask the vet if syringe-feeding (mix a bit of water and canned good food in a syringe and squish it in to the pocket between gum and teeth) is recommended. Just as important as food is making sure your pup is getting water too.

Aik vom Haus Gold "The Rock" Age 11

Zuzu--gsd DOB 4-21-09. Naughty n' nice

Lucy, Black GSD 2/1997-12-25-2008.
" T'was Heaven with you Here."

Dweezil, WGSD. RIP, 13
Moon, WGSD. RIP , 12
Shining found treasures both.

lucymom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: JenniferDAsk your vet for suggestions, but I also used organic baby food when my girl was on chemo. She liked it. How about some fresh chicken? I second concerns about store bought broth--too salty.

I don't know if the vet would recommend....but when all else fails, my dogs will eat deli-sliced turkey.
Deli cuts of meat are going to be just as salty as broth.

You can buy low sodium broth, which is a lot better... and can be used in a pinch. I'd prefer to see you cook up broth too. Just buy any ole chicken at the store, toss in in a pot of cold water and boil away.

Organic baby food is good, but read labels. It may have a lot of grains, which your pup may or may not be able to tolerate (For example, chicken and rice is often "water. rice. chicken." in that order -- and it may contain other ingredients like squash.). AND if you get baby food for Stage 2 or older children (infants older than a few months old), it may have seasonings which includes salt and onion...which we definitely don't want to feed to our pups.

One thing I like to feed my dogs when they don't feel well is fresh (boiled) chicken, overcooked rice (add extra water and cook longer) and boiled sweet potato. The sweet potato has a flavor that most dogs like; it's very healthy and easily tolerated. You can substitute that with a dollop of canned pumpkin on off days.

REAL maple syrup (not the fake stuff like Aunt Jemimah or Mrs. Butterworth's) can be poured over the chicken/rice/sweet potato mixture to make it even more savory. Maple syrup has some essential minerals, so it doesn't just add calories and a yummy flavor. It's actually nutritious in small doses.

If you find a mixture that your dog will eat, you can mix in some whey powder (available at your health food store --buy UNSWEETENED vanilla whey powder). It doesn't add much in the way of flavor or bulk, but it provides extra protein and adds in calcium that a growing pup needs, especially to offset the phosphorous of the meat you're giving. Whey powder actually has the ideal ratio of calcium to phosphorous, so you can just mix it into almost anything and it will give your pup a great boost of protein, calcium and phosphorous --which every growing pup needs.

I consider it an essential and always have it around my house.

If your pup won't eat ANYTHING and isn't drinking much, then you need to bring him in to your vet's office to be evaluated for dehydration. He may need fluids to help him along.

I hope he feels better soon.
3K9Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2009, 09:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I definitely agree with the whey protein!!

How about some blended liver?

LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2009, 09:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

From your other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted By: LJsMomHave you tried slightly heating the canned food/baby food?
Been thinking, have you tried a different protein? There is a good chance that the chicken is the problem, and also may be contributing to the itching?

LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.