Do you stop flea & tick/heartworm for winter? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2009, 01:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
The Italian One

Default Re: Do you stop flea & tick/heartworm for winter?

Iím just curious. If heartworms come from mosquitoes, why would people give heartworm preventative when itís not necessary? If you look at the manufactureís recommendations, it does say to start giving preventative a month after mosquitoes show up and continue until a month after theyíve gone. I can see it being necessary year round for warm places like Florida, lower Alabama but not some other states. (Same question for flea/tick preventative. Why put those chemicals on and spend the money when itís not necessary?) Why over-medicate your dogs?

From the website I posted a link to above;
Quote:
Quote:In a study entitled ďSeasonal Timing of Heartworm Chemoprophylaxis (Heartworm Meds) in the United StatesĒ, Dr. David Knight and James Lok of the American Heartworm Society have taken the guesswork out of when to start and stop heartworm prevention. It was found that specific conditions must exist in order for the larvae in the mosquito to move on to stage L3, allowing the mosquito to pass on heartworm through its mouthparts. The larvae require approximately 30 consecutive days of 60-degree weather where the temperature does not dip below 57F (14C) in order to reach this condition.
From Heartgard.us.merial.comís Website under the administration guidelines (I think this is also on the insert that comes in the package);
Quote:
Quote:HEARTGARD Chewables should be given at monthly intervals during the period of the year when mosquitoes (vectors), potentially carrying infective heartworm larvae, are active. The initial dose must be given within a month (30 days) after the dogís first exposure to mosquitoes. The final dose must be given within a month (30 days) after the dogís last exposure to mosquitoes.
If you look at the map that I posted, it looks like VA would start giving preventative in June and stop in December. For Flea/Tick Iíd only do this seasonal also. Not sure when ticks show up in VA or when they go away but Iíd say you could stop when the ground freezes.

Bark A Little on Facebook
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2009, 01:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Italian One

Recommendations from http://www.interceptor.novartis.us/dog/en/label.shtml (because someone posted that they use this preventative)

Quote:
Quote:INTERCEPTOR Flavor Tabs must be administered monthly, preferably on the same date each month. The first dose should be administered within one month of the dog's first exposure to mosquitoes and monthly thereafter until the end of the mosquito season. If a dose is missed and a 30-day interval between dosing is exceeded, administer INTERCEPTOR Flavor Tabs immediately and resume the monthly dosing schedule.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I use Interceptor, but I only use it in the summer/early fall, and I only give it every 6 weeks.

So the "one year supply" that I ordered will last me way more than a year.

I have it marked on my calendar to give the next dose this week, but I don't need to as it's been so cold.

~Kristin
India, CL1-F CL2-H CL1-S
ATB: GSDs Baron, Duke, All American JD
balakai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 03:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The website was great, Vinnie! And, according to it, I do not need to be giving the preventatives right now because it definitely gets below 57 at night here already. Sometimes it hasn't even gotten above 57 during the day!
Koji, spotted shelter kitty.
JerzeyGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I no longer use flea/tick prevention. I have never seen a tick on any of them, and well, I haven't had fleas in years and years, so I figure I will treat if and when I get it.

Heartgard I do as soon as mosquitos come out and continue until they go away, for the most part.

I think it depends what kind of winters you have. We have a couple of months of freezing weather -- below 32 the whole month -- usually. Then there are those months of crappy half freezing weather which is 20 degrees today, 44 tomorrow, and back down to 18 on the weekend.

Then there are the crappy rain/sleet/snow weather.

You have to love it here. We have four destinct seasons: Winter, Still Winter, Almost Winter, and Barrel. LOL.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 04:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: selzerI no longer use flea/tick prevention. I have never seen a tick on any of them, and well, I haven't had fleas in years and years, so I figure I will treat if and when I get it.

Heartgard I do as soon as mosquitos come out and continue until they go away, for the most part.

I think it depends what kind of winters you have. We have a couple of months of freezing weather -- below 32 the whole month -- usually. Then there are those months of crappy half freezing weather which is 20 degrees today, 44 tomorrow, and back down to 18 on the weekend.

Then there are the crappy rain/sleet/snow weather.

You have to love it here. We have four destinct seasons: Winter, Still Winter, Almost Winter, and Barrel. LOL.
LOL, your lucky then!!
Old 10-26-2009, 05:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I start Heartworm in June and give it through October usually.

I only use Bug Off Garlic for fleas and ticks and give that May through end of October or until it's cold enough for the nasty buggies to go away.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 06:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Spiritsmam Send a message via Yahoo to Spiritsmam

I give prevention all year round. I adopt dogs from shelters in NC/SC and Georgia and seven have been heartworm positive. Of these only two have been able to be successfully treated and I have had 2 die before or during treatment. For me it is just not worth not keeping them on prevention all year round. I should add however that I just give straight Ivermectin, much cheaper and just as effective.
Teddy ("the Corgi")

http://www.straightlegshepherds.org
Spiritsmam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #19 (permalink)
The Italian One

For someone in your area this is what confuses me. Donít you think itís risky to over medicate your dogs? Ivermectin is still medication. If given for more than heartworms, maybe I could understand but I don't even give Ivermectin to my horses year round as the parasites become immune to it.

Because a dog had heartworms in the past just tells me that a previous owner did not give the dog preventative medication properly, if at all. That doesn't change whether they should be given preventative year round or not.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I HATE those TV commercials where (think maybe doris day -a real dog advocate)says give vanguard and heartguard ALLL year.I start vanguard when my dog has visible fleas(did not use it this year-never got flea infestation.)Heartguard I give from first time I see/get bitten by mosquito and end after second hard frost.My dog is neg for heartworm after 5 yrs of this regimen.Mosquitoes really are NOT that active at temps below 55 degrees.IF any weather above 55 degrees after 2 hard frosts in my area-might reconsider but has not really happened.I am of less medicine less vacs the better school.
jake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.