Our 7 month old pup is limping - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2009, 09:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Our 7 month old pup is limping

The other day my mother in an attempt for Bacchus not to get through the door (I was taking in some groceries into the laundry room) she closed the laundry door on Bacchus' right front paw by accident. He did yelp and cried for a couple of seconds and seemed ok. But now he is really limping two days later and it seems his gait is getting worse.

I looked at his paw, in between his pads, his elbow and moved everything around and it does not seem to bother him when I do it. But when he walks on it he is definitley limping. I am wondering if it's just a bruise or should I just bite the bullet and take him to see the vet (probably having to get xrays, etc.)? I mean a "bad bruise" you can't do anything for it and not to sound like I don't care but I really don't feel like spending hundreds of dollars for an ray to tell me that it's bruised. (We had to rush him already to the emergency vet because he ate a large chuck tennis ball and $500 later only to find on the xray that he would be able to pass the little pieces he did eat. And yes, I'd rather have spent the $500 telling me that than him having surgery.)

THe ony discomfort I can outwardly see is him limping. Other than that there is no wincing, crying, or yelping and he is still very active and doing puppy things..
yvonneglen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2009, 09:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: Our 7 month old pup is limping

You'd be surprized by how much pain they can tolerate. Since he's limping still after 2 days, x-rays are in order. I know this from experience. My girl broke a bone fragment off her elbow when she was 6 months old. Two years later a radiologist confirmed that there was a bone chip floating in her elbow which caused intermittent limping.

The vet should be able to take the x-rays without anesthesia, so the cost shouldn't be much.
BlackPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 09:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BlackPuppyYou'd be surprized by how much pain they can tolerate. Since he's limping still after 2 days, x-rays are in order. I know this from experience. My girl broke a bone fragment off her elbow when she was 6 months old. Two years later a radiologist confirmed that there was a bone chip floating in her elbow which caused intermittent limping.

The vet should be able to take the x-rays without anesthesia, so the cost shouldn't be much.
With that story you just convinced me that he needs to go.. Last thing I want is a bone chip floating around.

Many thanks..
Old 07-08-2009, 10:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BlackPuppyMy girl broke a bone fragment off her elbow when she was 6 months old. Two years later a radiologist confirmed that there was a bone chip floating in her elbow which caused intermittent limping.
Are you sure she didn't have Ununited Aconeal Process? It's one of the several different elbow problems referred to as ED. The bones are supposed to fuse by the time the dog is 6 months old, but if there is a bone chip in the joint it's not going to happen. That's what Cassidy had, and our vet said he removed a piece of bone the size of his thumbnail out of the joint. There was no injury to cause this, it was just a joint that did not develop normally.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

We just got back from the vet's and he said he most likely has a bad "bone bruise". He checked his toes, wrist area (don't know the exact term he used) and the elbow, and shoulder. He did not make a noise or wince; nothing. So he gave us some Rimadyl. He is not to jump or run around for a week!! Great!! How do you get a 7 month old pup to relax and not do his puppy thing!! He said if in a week he is still limping that we will take xrays. He also mentioned at this age it's hard to take x-rays and get a definite answer because their front paws (wrist area) are made up bones of platelets and not fused together yet obviously because they're still growing. So we will have to take a wait and see attitude. In the meantime, all I can do is keep him comfortable and quiet..
Old 07-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Kodiak, could it be pano? http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+1561&aid=466
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 12:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Kodiak - to help with the 'staying calm' bit. I suggest lots of interactive treat toys. Jake has had episodes of Pano twice, that down time is 2 weeks. He mastered his 'stay's' during that time and I fed him both his meals in those toys.

Good Luck!

Jake GSD - 4/23/08
Maggie May GSD - TBD
Beemer resuce kitty - 2001
Porsche Himalayan - 6/2003
mkewish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 12:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Cassidys MomKodiak, could it be pano? http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+1561&aid=466
Don't know. I have never heard of that disease. I don't think so. But I am not a vet. According to the symptoms it says: "The dog may show a reluctance to walk or exercise. When the affected bones are squeezed, the dog reacts painfully." And that definitely does not happen. When he sees his leash he runs right for the door. And when the vet manipulated his leg this AM he did not wince at all or whelp. I think it's just a case of my silly mom slamming the door on his front leg and bruising it badly..

The Rimadyl that I gave him has seemed to knock him out as he is very larthgetic at the moment.

Thanks for the info. I will definitely keep that in mind if the limp travels from leg to leg or does not get better by next week and will mention it to the doctor **if** x-rays are needed.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Oh my...Rimadyl for a puppy. Why do vets alwasy prescribe Rimadyl? There are many other medicines without the bad side effects out there...
Old 07-08-2009, 01:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted By: RavenSophiOh my...Rimadyl for a puppy. Why do vets alwasy prescribe Rimadyl? There are many other medicines without the bad side effects out there...
Oh dear what's up with Rimadyl??

Well I just did a quick research and did not like what I READ!! Am really scared now. I think I will just bypass the Rimadyl and try to get him to rest for a week. I don't need my 7 month old to get liver damage or die from this medication...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.