Itching Puppy, Changed Diet, How Long? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
DnP
Elite Member

Default Re: Itching Puppy, Changed Diet, How Long?

I give Phoenix salmon oil and vit. E along w/ his TOTW Pacific Stream food. The omega 3 fatty acids are good for your dog's skin. It will only help skin issues. The other two TOTW are high in protein, another thing you need to keep an eye on with a growing large breed puppy. You don't want to feed a large breed pup a food high in protein...

You need to be careful about suddenly changing food, dry food to dry food. You need to do it gradually as a sudden change will cause pudding poo.

I don't know how much calcium TOTW has. You may need to look that up on the net....I do know that the website isn't much help in that department.

You can't go wrong w/ the Pacific Salmon TOTW. I also give Phoenix the duck/potato treats now. Definitely talk to your vet net week about a possible allergy issue. In the meantime, you might want to get a nice colloidal oatmeal shampoo...that will help soothe the skin and help with the itching. Warning though...you usually have to leave it on 5-15 minutes for it to work, which can be tough if your dog doesn't like a bath...trust me!!!!

He seemed neither old nor young. His strength lay in his eyes. They look as old as the hills, and as young and as wild. I've never tired of looking into them.-John Muir
DnP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

She NEEDS fatty acids, to live. But, if the "omega-3" in the supplement is from FLAX.. that can cause allergy itching. If the omega-3 is from fish oil, then it is likely not the problem.

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
Brightelf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2009, 09:40 AM   #13 (permalink)

I checked to see what Omega supplement I give her. The vet sold it to me. It's called DermaPet Eicosaderm. It has 2000mg fish oil.
360 EPA, 240 mg DHA and 10 iu Vit E. It says concentrated source of Omega 3 fatty acids (sugar, starch and preservative free). Ingredients say fish oil, dl alpha and tocopheryl acetate. Should I continue to give her this each day as well as the salmon taste of the wild food because the dog food has omega in it also?
Bearded Dragon 5 yrs old
dannygirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2009, 02:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
DnP
Elite Member

I give Phoenix approx. 2000mg of the salmon oil (1000mg per meal) and w/ his dinner the 400ui Vit. E. AND I feed him the TOTW Pacific Stream (salmon TOTW) with no problem. Seeing how the vet gave you a supplement containing the Vit. E. then you have everything in one shot. I'm not sure how expensive it is, but when you run out of it, you can easily switch to the cheaper stuff w/ no problems. When I have to travel w/ Phoenix, I switch and give him a 1000mg capsule of fish oil with each meal vs. the actual salmon oil and a 400UI Vit. E capsule at dinner.

The food doesn't have enough omega 3 that adding supplements will be overkill. I think you are fine to be using both.

He seemed neither old nor young. His strength lay in his eyes. They look as old as the hills, and as young and as wild. I've never tired of looking into them.-John Muir
DnP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.