Dog in Heat for Dummies? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Default Dog in Heat for Dummies?

Hi Everyone!

Kyah from the rescue section appears to be going into heat.

Long story short, she was not healthy enough to spay, and we were hoping she was not going to come into heat before she was at a weight to do so, but she's now at a good weight and apparently (the good news) healthy enough to go into heat.

What are the basics, and the precautions? Good cleaning recommendations for dog and home, any supplements suggested, changes in behavior-all examples welcomed. Let's pretend this is 5th grade health and the boys have been sent to the gym!

Length of time averages, amount of bleeding, good diapers, common sense things-you cannot insult our intelligence on this because I as her former foster have only had one dog coming out of her heat cycle, and Darcy as her new foster has had none. I am talking basics-to any advanced information as well that would be helfpul.

They have no intact dogs at her house.

However, there are neighbor dogs that do roam and they have a chain link fence. Kyah has been around the block so to speak and has had a litter of puppies (one that we know of).

Does everyone pretty much leave their female in heat home (unless around highly trained dogs)?

I am thinking you would want to leash her even in the yard, because if they got near the fence, her recall is not going to be what it normally is. Or if a dog scaled the fence...

Oh my gosh. Thanks for taking her this weekend, Darcy!

Thank all of you for any help! This dog just does not need any more headaches in her life.
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2009, 08:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: Dog in Heat for Dummies?

I only put bitches britches on them if I am going out in public, the Vet or training class. Most of my females were very clean and cleaned up after themselves.

Spotting can be any where from 7 to 20 days, she can be fertile past 28 days.

I don't change any thing food wise or supplement wise. Once ina while one of my females will go off her food for a day or so some time in the cycle.

She might be a little bitchy or touchy; she could be more clingy, she may show no signs of change in temperament. I would watch her around other bitches that is where the fighting problem is and then you have to watch out for any intact male.

Val
Old 05-08-2009, 09:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

See Jean - Kyah loves you so much and wanted to show her appreciation for taking such good care of her, that she waited to go into heat until today - foster transition day

Thanks Val. I have no intact males in the house, and hoping none come visiting. I will keep Kyah on a leash when outside. I have zero experience with a female in heat - yikes - and away from my can be bitchy females. Fun , Fun.

Iam just so glad that her body is healthy enough to now go into heat - wish we could have had her spayed earlier, but not in the cards for Ms. Kyah.
Email: darcydrons@gmail.com
www.bigdogsbighearts.petfinder.com
www.bdbh.org (work in progress)
ded37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2009, 09:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Angel is in her second heat cycle, and one learns alot when going through the cycle (God Bless breeders its not an easy job!)
I am told after the bleeding stops they are MOST suceptable to getting pregnant... I think because YOU might let your guard down... SO BE CAREFUL!
I used a "Pupsters" washable doggie diapers.... I usually tossed in a reg panty liner (always) but again, I used it rarely ... Just if we had to go out... I did not take Angel to park, or any place she might be approached by other dogs.... but even a walk can cause trouble, so just be protective!
Angel will be spayed 8 weeks after she is done with this heat cycle (and I did it because of an inverted vulva)..... Last time... she went into false pregnancy, another FUN experience!

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
Sweet Mammy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2009, 03:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Quote: I will keep Kyah on a leash when outside
If you can keep her urine & pooh to one area of the yard that would be great, especially if you can hose that area down. Expect to take her out more frequently, don't be surprised if she squirts in the house to mark territory (tho she may not as she seems to be a rather polite shy dog).

Quote:
Quote: there are neighbor dogs that do roam and they have a chain link fence.
Always do a yard check before you take her out to make sure there are no lurking intact boys that have climbed/jumped the fence or dug their way in - 2 experienced dogs can tie very quickly.

If you think your neighbors would be helpful, you could let them know the circumstances & ask for their help, OTOH dogs will travel miles to get to that lovely scented bitch.

Do you have a good AC that will come quickly to pick up dogs that do enter your yard? do you have a garage/kennel are where you can lock up any wannabedaddies while AC sends someone out (or drop them off at the AC yourself).

You might be lucky & no dogs will show up ... or you might wish for a big stick & some mace ... I like to be prepared either way
Alto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

when my girl went into her first heat we used little boys underwear...with a panty liner for public. they come in three packs so i could wash and have clean ones always and way cheaper. put the tail through the pee-pee hole.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Any other tips/thoughts? How long are they fertile?

Yes, it was VERY thoughtful of Kyah to wait until she moved to start her heat. I am wondering if some of the blood drops in her bed were not from her tail as I thought...boy do I feel silly.

Now in hindsight I am wishing we had spayed her the week before. Of course!
Old 05-10-2009, 09:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Jean it is better for Kyah to wait until she isn't close to a heat cycle. So the week before would have had her hormone level pretty high. So assuming she is going to cycle every 6 months, I would spay her the end of July - Beginning of August at the earliest.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to doggonefool

Questions from an ignorant foster mom: Hope I'm not hijacking this, just want to make sure that I understand the information here.

They go into heat every six months? It can last a month or more? They shouldn't be spayed until a month after they seem to finish being in heat?

I have an extremely underweight intact EPI female. We are trying to get the EPI under control and some weight back on her. I don't know how long she will be with me. I believe that she just finished a heat cycle before she came to me last week.

So I am frantically learning about intact females and EPI and anything else that I can..Thanks for your help
Rainbow Bridge: Whimsey(4/2004-7/7/2008), Sparkie(6/1990-8/2005), Draco(10/1989-11/2004) Smokie(3/1997-7/2003)
doggonefool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Also please remember that since dogs do not read our books, they may not follow any "typical" pattern for being in heat. Your best bet is to keep her off by herself and defineately away from any males for a MINIMUM of 3 weeks.
JMO.

julies'omom

Annie, toy red poodle
Brandi Mini poodle
Julie v Kolenda, GSD
Julie'somom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.