Dog in Heat for Dummies? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to doggonefool
Re: Dog in Heat for Dummies?

Out of the 5 of them, not one of them behaves in the same way under the same circumstances. I 'read to them all' but they just don't seem to absorb it the same way I do.

Fortunately, my two males are neutered and I have a pretty sturdy dog run (magnum) to keep her in if I have her that long; am hoping to find her a forever home soon.

Thanks!

Carol, the Foster Failure
My Pack
BSD Ranger (4/2001), A.Husky Loki (12/2007), A.Husky Jukka (12/2007), GSD River (8/2006?)
Rainbow Bridge: Whimsey(4/2004-7/7/2008), Sparkie(6/1990-8/2005), Draco(10/1989-11/2004) Smokie(3/1997-7/2003)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Is the dogrun outside? With chain link openings? Because they can have at it through the fence, those animals!

Hopefully she will be healthy enough to be spayed before her heat. If the enzymes start to work, I think the recovery can be pretty dramatic.

Good job taking on another toughie!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to doggonefool

See, you've taught me already! Yes it is outside; it is a wire mesh; the enzymes have made dramatic improvement. I have tried to contact her previous owner for the vet info who made the diagnosis on EPI; I don't even have any shot records for her so will take her to my vet this week and see what's up.

Thanks for the tip

Carol, the Foster Failure
My Pack
BSD Ranger (4/2001), A.Husky Loki (12/2007), A.Husky Jukka (12/2007), GSD River (8/2006?)
Rainbow Bridge: Whimsey(4/2004-7/7/2008), Sparkie(6/1990-8/2005), Draco(10/1989-11/2004) Smokie(3/1997-7/2003)

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Could Kyah be going into heat again?

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 10:53 AM
Crowned Member

When did she cycle last? Not all dogs cycle on a six month schedule. Some have been known to go every 3 or 4 months.

Val

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 10:58 AM
Crowned Member

Yes.
Sirens sister. (Actually half sister, same sire, different dam) decided to only wait between 2 1/2 and 3 months between heats.

Siren has only been in heat once so far. (Started in mid Feb. and lasted 6 weeks!)
Cheyenne was in heat the first time AFTER Siren, and has already been in TWICE.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

May!

I am wondering if she is so healthy now, like with us, we can be sickly and not have our periods for a while, then we get healthier and it seems to be a while where it's frequent.

Okay...so it's possible. Regardless of why, it's possible.

Gee, I bet Darcy will be glad to hear that, Val!

post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 11:29 AM
Crowned Member

Bonus!

She has an appt for her Stage 2 Prosthetic fitting on Thursday (and a bit ironic, because she went into heat the day she had her Stage 1 fitting in May, not joking).

My gut says it is another heat, Toby (all boys are neutered) is acting smitten again and she is acting the same way she did in May. I guess her body is telling us she is healthy enough and at a good weight to be able to handle a spay.

She is also seeing Dr. G on 9/8 regarding scheduling a spay.

Darcy E. Drons
Intake Coordinator/Shelter Liaison
<span style="color: red">Big Dogs, Big Hearts Rescue Inc. ("BDBH")</span>
Email:

(work in progress)
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 01:48 PM
Crowned Member

Don't let the vet talk you into spaying her while she is in heat. (Most vets are "spay happy". And will tell you all kinds of things to get you to do it ASAP.)

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 02:10 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: JeanKBBMMMAANIs the dogrun outside? With chain link openings? Because they can have at it through the fence, those animals!

Hopefully she will be healthy enough to be spayed before her heat. If the enzymes start to work, I think the recovery can be pretty dramatic.

Good job taking on another toughie!
YIKES!

Minnie - CGC
Tanner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page