nerve damage recovery? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2009, 09:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default nerve damage recovery?

the vet told us that there is a 50/50 chance beamer will regain control of her tail & pee/poop. i was just curious, has anyone had/known someone who had a pet that recovered at least 95% from a spinal fracture with nerve damage??

anything would be appreciated, i tried googling but i didn't really find anything.
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Re: nerve damage recovery?

I know a wild life rehabber who treats cottontails with bad spinal injuries from predator attacks and they eventually recover. There is a misperception about the relation between the spinal injury and the reflexes to poop/pee, those nerves are probably just inflamed and would need steroids to reduce inflammation so they have enough room to operate again.

In these cases I've read about (I have only dealt with parasitic causes of paralysis), the recovery can be 6 weeks to 6 months.

I can ask more about it if you want but this would be coming from a rehabber who deals with injured wildlife, the basic hardware is the same though. There are also nerve repair drugs like neurontin that she could be on to get things started. You might want to ask about that.
Strongheart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2009, 11:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Nerve stuff:

a good multivitamin, an extra B-vitamin -- say maybe a B-25 or B-50, alpha-lipoic acid...enough magnesium is important, but too much will cause loose stools.

Acupuncture will definitely heal. Once the fracture heals, chiropractic can help.

LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 12:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

can i get a multivitamin for her at a pet store? the neurologist didnt mention anything about a multivitamin or any nerve repair medications. :\

have you ever known anyone who has taken their pets to acupuncture or a chiropractor?

you all are awesome with your help, we appreciate it so much.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The multivitamin is just because the body needs to have proper nutrition, and ample nutrition when it is healing. It is not *specific* for the nerve problem, but the body can't heal if it doesn't have the basic building blocks. My favorite multivitamin is Canine Plus which I used to get through http://www.kvvet.com. They do have Pet Tabs and other things at a pet store, but typically they are over-priced and not as complete.

Lots of folks on the board have used acupuncture, and a handful have used a chiropractor. My GSD gets both, my little dog sees a chiro only because she can't tolerate the needles (but we do some acupuncture with light, or if she is under anesthesia the vet will put a sneak a few needles in). My little dog has a neurological condition where her muscles and spine seize and she doesn't function properly. We've been managing it for about a decade now.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Strongheart..... There are also nerve repair drugs like neurontin that she could be on to get things started. You might want to ask about that.
Does Neurontin repair?

Old 02-09-2009, 07:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

i think it would be important to use all the ingredients to repair, those that Lisa mentioned, and also the antioxidents. using the right amounts to heal, etc, is also important., you need enough, or a theraputic dosage to work well. so, that being said, supplementing some of these thing separately would be the best way to ensure healing.
Ester c at least 1000 mgs. Vit. E at least 800mgs.. definitely fish oils, B's...etc. i would also recommend accupuncture this opens the pathways and helps things heal.
i would also take a look at the diet, preferably a homemade diet, or at the very least a grain free higher protien, since amino's also help healing.

debbie
Old 02-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

thanks everyone. we are currently using holistic select dog food, is that a good diet? she gets raw chicken, steak, etc. whenever we cook dinner, too.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

what is in the holistic food? ingreds?

debbie
Old 02-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

http://www.eaglepack.com/Pages/HS_Lamb.html

that is the one we use most, sometimes we get chicken (all depending on the price)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.