Deramaxx - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2009, 02:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Deramaxx

Murphy, my rottie/chow mix was x-rayed today and has arthritis in both shoulders. I has previously started a thread regarding his severe limp which was aggravated by Allie, by young GSD, pulling on his leg.

Dr. Bailey wants to start Murphy on Deramaxx when he absolutely cannot ambulate - he said only then, not as a maintenance dose.
He prescribed 50 mg a day when Murphy cannot walk.
I have used Rimadyl on Irk, by GSD who passed away in 1999 from DM. I have worried about Deramaxx as it seems to have so many side affects. Have any of you used it for arthritis.

BTW - Allie is much better w/Murphy now - she is getting out and about with me and they do not stay together when not supervised.

Thank you.

Mary Lou
Allie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: Deramaxx

Try not to worry! It is not easy to have a dog with arthritis... but there are some ideas to really help!

I would in no way wait until the dog is in such pain that he cannot walk before giving him relief. By then, it can be too late, as pain can overwhelm. Here are some ideas to help:

Right now, I would:
1. Find another vet less terrified by the possible side effects of drugs that will give QUALITY of life to an animal who is in pain already.

2. Begin researching what supplements you would like to give. Glucosamine and chrondroitin are starters! After 2 weeks of Cosequin (there are less costly versions, too), my senior was moving around much, much more comfortably. You CAN actually build a joint up, by giving it cushion and good fluid, using these supplements.

3. Find a vet who will rutinely check liver and kidney values on the Deramaxx, Metacam, or Rimadyl. They all MAY have side effects. It does NOT mean that there will be any notable harm to your dog. With blood levels and CBC monitored, this is normal for these meds.

4. You are a great owner for having brought your dog to the vet to begin with-- now you just need a vet who will support you in keeping your dog pain-free. Find a vet who listens to your worries.

My senior was on Rimadyl for 4 years, lived until 15.5, and felt GREAT after he began Rimadyl. It was better than him living in pain-- and he felt wonderful.

Hang in there-- you will do GREAT caring for your dog!

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
Brightelf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2009, 03:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

I agree - get another vet. The key to pain management is to never allow the pain to get out of control; daily maintenance is needed.

My girl has been on daily Deramaxx for over 4 years now. She's 14 now, and Deramaxx keeps her comfy and quality of life good.
silversmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2009, 03:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

......and, being the loving servant of a senior, creaky dog, I know Dermaxx and the other NSAIDs are almost demonized by some vets. But they are often the only thing that does the trick. They CAN cause trouble, but remember that's CAN, not WILL. My girl has had twice yearly blood panels, and her side affects have been zero. zilch. nada.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Chama was prescribed Deramaxx and Tremadol last year for her arthritis. They didn't help at all so I redoubled my efforts in adjusting her supplement and herb regime. I added 2 more things into the mix and increased her Ester C. She is doing MUCH better now.

If you do go with the Deramaxx you should do blood work first and probably also put Murphy on a liver support product with milk thistle and dandelion.

Oh, and just so people know, I included a list of possible products for Murphy in a pm.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2009, 03:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

We also supplement with G/C and MSM, fish oil and E. Are there other supplements, herbs you could suggest? I agree the joint support is helpful.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Not to thread jack - but can you PM me with that as well? I just became the foster mama to an extremely geriatric 15lb Cav Spaniel mix that was pulled out of a frozen river by an animal control officer. She's probably a hospice case - both blind and deaf with congestive heart failure. But her appetite is good and she potters around. We can tell by the way she holds her legs that she's got some arthritis pain in both front and back. The vet prescribed Deramaxx, which she's been on for about 5 days. I haven't noticed any improvement in her comfort. How long does Deramaxx take to work if it's going to? I don't know if I should keep waiting or should try something else (or something additionally). I don't want her to suffer, so any suggestions welcome.
pupresq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2009, 03:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ok, don't laugh but here is Chama's current regime (she currently weighs 70 lbs.):

Springtime Inc's Longevity 1.5 scoops, 2x/day (3 scoops total)

Advanced Cetyl-M 2 tabs, 2x/day (starting with a loading dose of 6 and stayed on that dose for 3 months and then was able to go down to 4 total/day)

Ester C--1000mg, 2x/day (2000mg total--MUST WORK UP TO THIS GRADUALLY)

Vertri Science Canine Plus Senior 1 tab, 2x/day

Tasha's Herbspirin This one I give at night before bed.

In the past I've also had success with this one at night: Get Up and Go

Fish oil is also important. This company has some joint packages that look good. There are also some EXCELLENT articles on this website about seniors and food and on arthritis and joint problems.

B Naturals

I think the food piece of the puzzle is VERY important. Seniors should be on a high (animal-based) protein food with a decent amount of animal-based fat and lower carbs. My experience is that grains cause more problems for seniors so I do grain free as much as possible with my seniors.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2009, 04:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I had my senior (12 at the time we started) on Deramaxx for arthritis. All bloodwork was perfect at this time. It helped. Six months later he stopped eating. Took him to the vet the next day and his liver values were off the charts. The equipment they used did not have values high enough. Three days after he stopped eating he would not get up or lift his head. I had to put him to sleep. I will never forgive myself that I did not do regular bloodwork while he was on it. The vet did not recommend it. I do not have a proof that it was the Deramaxx, but it could have been.
RebelGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2009, 04:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thank you for the advice. I do not blame Dr. Bailey re the dosage - Murphy was so different at the vet - he walked and did not limp as much. Murphy is a very proud dog. When I brought him home, he now just lays down and is refusing to go out.

Dr. Bailey did say he would need blood work. we had just done a full panel last month when I did a titer in lieu of vaccinations.

I am going to try the health supplements for now. Deramaxx has a lot of adverse incidents the more I research.
Allie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.