lung cancer - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default lung cancer

I have jut found out today from X-RAYS that my 14yr old Shepherd has lung cancer...it began with slow weight loss oct 08 and vomiting of a small amount of bright red frothy blood on New Years day. He is not ready to go just yet as he is eating and very perky but I want to know if anyone else has experienced this in their dog and when will I know its time. Regards
mandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: lung cancer

Sorry to hear of your news. I hope I never have to be faced with the decision of putting my dogs to sleep.My personal opinion is if he seems ok and not in pain then hold on.If his symptoms get out of control then I would say that is the time.It all depends on how much you can handle and what he is feeling like. I think when the time comes you will know it on your own.

Athena 5/4/08 http://www.dogster.com/dogs/925796
Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

allieg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 02:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm so sorry! {{{{HUGS}}}}

I've not had a dog in your situation, but have had to say goodbye to some forever friends, and it's hard, but you'll know. Enjoy the time you guys have together!

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
aubie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you,Im sure your right,it just a bit of a shock at the moment...he seems so healthy otherwise
Old 01-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I am so sorry to hear about your dog. My dog, who is 14 or 15, has mammary cancer and it has spread to her lungs. She is still trucking along and doing amazingly well. I take it one day at a time and enjoy every minute that I get to spend with her.
Ilovealldogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 02:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

From my experience in humans it is a disease that you can't tell someone has by looking at them.My Dad died 4 yrs ago Oct of Lung Cancer,just by looking at him you couldn't tell. You will know when the time has come.Enjoy every energetic moment you have while you can.

Athena 5/4/08 http://www.dogster.com/dogs/925796
Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

allieg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm so sorry and sad to hear it. Our Heidi (rip 1/5/1996) developed cancerous tumors throughout her body. It traveled rapidly and we finally decided we had to do what we didn't want to because she wouldn't eat. These are the hardest decisions you'll ever make.

But, friends of ours had a female Golden Retriever who was diagnosed with the same kind of cancer and was getting many tumors....they decided not to do chemo or euthanize and the vet gave Sunshine about 3-4 months. She lived another 18 months. Our friends decided to let her eat whatever she wanted and made her eggs, etc. (basically all home cooking!) They finally did euthanize the day before Thanksgiving 07 when she no longer would eat.

All I can say is as long as you pup seems happy, eats well, and can get around well enough to eliminate, spend whatever precious moments you have with him.
mmsteele01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 04:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

So sorry to hear of your dog's diagnosis. We lost our 12 year old GSD, Shadow, to lung cancer 18 months ago. We had no idea that she was ill until her appetite went a little off and she had an episode of shortness of breath. Our vet aspirated a lot of fluid from her lungs while she was sedated for an Xray, and she was able to continue on for a few weeks. We knew it was time to let her go when she refused to eat, when she could no longer find a comfortable position to lay and when she was having a lot of difficulty breathing. She never did seem to have any amount of pain and was just taking a little Tramadol towards the end.
Just enjoy whatever time you have together. Make the days special for you and him. Dogs live only in the moment. Your boy doesn't know he has a problem, he'll just be delighted to share lots of time and fun with you. He'll tell you when it's time...
Hugs,

Quinn, Mar. 8/2007
Shadow, 1995-2007, always in my heart
Quinnsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you everybody for all your well wishes and advice,I write this with tears streaming down my face but all your replies have made me feel a lot better. x
Old 01-06-2009, 07:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

I am very sorry about your dog.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e=1#Post907326 There are about a million links in this section all about cancer, all in one place. http://www.helpyourdogfightcancer.com might be a good start.

My dog right now is on prednisilone and antibiotics and is doing (knock wood) okay. I am not sure if you want to do anything like that, but figured I'd toss that out to you. He's also getting a little bit of tramadol (because it makes him weird!) and I get that at the people pharmacy for cheap-some of these drugs are part of those $4 Rx plans, and that's what I try to do.

Did they talk to you about where the cancer might have started?

There is a section of the board, up above, called Preparing to Say Goodbye. It has some information and resources and you can also post there as well. People want to support you and your dog in this time.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.