German Shepherds Forum banner

Discussion: Large Dog on Plane

10K views 49 replies 13 participants last post by  Magwart 
#1 ·
Something I have been thinking of alot lately is if my boy makes it to full SD....he turned out bigger than I expected her planned on (I think he will max out at 90lb). He is very long bodied. My 67# female found it impossible to keep herself out of my neighbor's foot space on a plane, even in bulkhead.

How in the world will he ever fit??

Discussion to follow below.

#2 ·
I have some friends that use Mastiffs and Great Danes for their SDs. I'll ask them if they have any special tricks that they use. I do know that they practice "tucks" a lot and also so the dog keeps its tail out of the way.

#3 ·
If there is a special tuck I sure never figured it out. If you have to travel solo it's kind of unavoidable. I had Crank tucked down close to the chair so people could drape legs over him and stretch out but he was partially under them still. When I was seated near my gf I could use her as a buffer and then there was no issue but Crank is 62 pounds. Not a big guy.

#4 ·
Bailiff that is basically what always happened with my female GSD (she was prob 65 # then)

We were basically always flying alone, and occasionally my seatmate would be pissed about it. There was always someone quick to volunteer to switch seats and sit by me and let her lay under their legs some, but still always a little stressful.

When my mother was dying I flew back and forth so many times I got so sick of it I actually bought her her own seat once so I knew she could have 2 foot spaces. And he is SO much bigger than her

I am afraid that my goal is going to have to be cramming him into two seats' foot space in bulkhead and even that would be tight, I swear the planes get smaller every year.

#5 ·
What I wanted to check out is something that I have heard of. Anyway, it is still recommended by a few others.

Train your dog with cut down boxes. Start with larger area/dimensions box and cut down to maybe a foot high. Train to curl up inside for a treat. After dog can do this without a problem go to a slightly smaller area box. Give same command as before and treat. Along the way help position the dog. When helping with the tail give a command such as "tail" or whatever you want. For smaller boxes you may have to cut and tape the larger one down somewhat. -- I have heard of some people using plastic totes, but those would be for smaller dogs.

This is two commands being taught.
"Tuck" or "Curl" (or whatever you want to use) to fit body in a certain space.
"Tail" which can be used when dog is at a sit or down and the tail is in the way of people walking by.

I wanted to start this with my guy when a pup, but he was too busy trying to chew on or attack the box that I gave up and never went back to. I think this would be a really good command to work on when the weather is too bad to go outside and the dog needs something to do.

These two commands should help with flying, under a table at a restaurant, riding in a taxi, at a movie theater, or in a classroom or meeting room.

#6 ·
I have also had a friend that had her male GSD back somewhat under the seat in front of her and curl the rest of his body in her footspace, but not sure exactly how that worked. Wish I had asked her more at the time or even better for a picture.

I know that some people have a different command when they have their dog back under something vrs. a plain "under" where the dog goes forward head first.

#7 ·
I think if you let them know in advance that you have a GSD service dog and will need more foot space they try to accommodate you. When I've flown with toddlers they would give me a seat at the front where I had open space in front of me. I've seen service dogs in those seats before.

#8 ·
Or perhaps once everyone has boarded you can ask if there are two seats together that are empty so you can move? I'm just trying to think of options for if he can't fit. I can't imagine my son trying to fit Demi, his service GSD on a plane, she's quite large.

#14 ·
The problem with this is dogs can't be seated in a chair and they only fit in bulkhead seating. You can't put them in an emergency isle which is the only other place on most planes with space. It pretty much has to be bulkhead seating.

#9 ·
Yes I have heard of using laundry baskets and the like to train a big dog to put themselves into a smaller space. If he continues to do well in his other training maybe I will mess around with it. I can't imagine how uncomfortable that would be for a long flight though.

If he continuea to do well we will try city bus and then train and see how he handles the noise and jostling before I ever consider trying to fly with him anyway

#10 ·
Another answer I just got from someone else. When they go to the check-in counter they ask if it would be possible to ask the person assigned to sit next to them if they are allergic or would they mind if a SD shared part of their foot space. She said she then doesn't stand near the desk so that the person assigned next to them is free to respond as they want. Sometimes the other person requests to be moved thus giving the SD team two places or maybe they may even move the SD team. Most flights have at least one empty seat so while you can't count on this happening it is one possible thing to try.

#11 ·
It seems like if you have the seat where the emergency doors are, you get a lot more foot space? So that might work -- letting them know prior to your flight so that they can accommodate the dog.

#12 ·
Thanks that is something I will definitely use....asking ahead of time. I hate getting into the seat and then the gamble of whether the seatmate is grumpy about it or not. I would WAY rather let the airline ppl handle it ahead of time.

I remember back in the day before I flew her the first time I put 2 heavy chairs up against a wall to teach her how to back in and get down under my feet in the cramped space....

#15 ·
I have always called ahead and requested bulkhead for every flight I ever did with a dog.

I really wouldn't leave it up to chance and hope there was an extra seat...what if there isn't?

I wouldn't want to wait for a later flight when I have already fasted my dog and gone thru security ect.

I wonder if the airlines would give me the dimensions for bulkhead so I could try and cram him in somrthing at home and see if it is even possible

#18 ·
I honestly don't know I just know I have read that on some airline's website...my guesses would be:

blocking the exit, or they don't want disabled people in the exit row ..... had a thought on why but can't remember now...? Does that person open the emergency door or help other people get out?

#20 ·
I honestly don't know I just know I have read that on some airline's website...my guesses would be:

blocking the exit, or they don't want disabled people in the exit row ..... had a thought on why but can't remember now...? Does that person open the emergency door or help other people get out?

Yes, you have to be able to open the door. The stewardess actually will ask you if you are physically able to. Well, I'm small, so maybe they don't ask if you look big enough/strong enough to open it.

#35 ·
LOL its only a problem when someone gets bitten...how did I know you were going to say that.

I totally understand the distinction you are making about the bite suit and for that matter I would assume Crank knows when he is training or competing at that sport and that that sport and those activities happen under x y set of circumstances.

I mean I track my dog in the same hay field I walk him in on other days and he never looks for the track when we are out walking because he knows that isn't what we are there to do

I actually think it states something about SD tasks pertaining to protection of the handler. So technically it is a sport you both do, not tasks where he is trained to actually protect you though I do question you could make that distinction to a courtroom

However all brings you back to your original statement, only a problem if he bites someone. I am sure you know what your dog will and won't do. Shrug

I hope a lesser dog handler doesn't read this and get the wrong idea though if you know what I mean

#36 ·
Do nt have a Service Dog, but do fly in cabin with my dog a lot as a SAR dog.

My dog is trained to take up as little space as possible. When we get to the gate I tell the gate agents I have a dog and they seat me first, with the people needing help, if I am flying an airline that does not have assigned seating.

If I am flying with assigned seating I request bulkhead seats.

On occasion or longer flight, she has been known to slowly spread out. If I see her doing that I check with my seat mate. If they seem the least bit put out I correct her position.

I have known handlers that did not request bulkhead and they have been seated in normal seats. The dog, if it can't curl under the seat at their feet, must sit in between their legs during the flight. Not comfortable, but that's what's done.

Once I have had a person request a different seat, so they didn't have to sit next to me. 4 people volunteered to switch with them.

Now, my dog is allowed to interact with people. So I have found that people really enjoy sitting next to me and loving on my dog. The number of photos she has been in, crazy.

Reactions: Deb
#37 ·
I would not wait... Start training him now, it can't hurt. Our labs become accustom to being tucked away from 8weeks til about 14/16 months in preparation for their lives as service dogs. Also useful in restaurants with booth seating, passenger seats of cars, etc etc...

It comes in handy and they're much better at it when introduced during a time that they actually fit. I just placed a very long and leggy 26" 75lb lab last week and his client e mailed me over how impressed he was of the dogs plane manners. Tucked himself and didn't budge for the 3hr flight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.