German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Guide, Therapy & Service Dogs (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/guide-therapy-service-dogs/)
-   -   Job Interview Question - bring SDIT (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/guide-therapy-service-dogs/482665-job-interview-question-bring-sdit.html)

kburrow11 08-24-2014 09:29 PM

Job Interview Question - bring SDIT

So I've got a job interview on Tuesday. Do you guys think I should bring Vida (my 6 month old service dog in training) with me or should I leave her at home? Thoughts?

lalachka 08-24-2014 09:39 PM

70 Attachment(s)
What are you trying to say by bringing her? Meaning, you always need her around and leaving her home is a hardship or you're trying to let them know you have a disability Or...?

lalachka 08-24-2014 09:41 PM

70 Attachment(s)
What kind of a job is it? I wouldn't do it but that's why I'm asking about the reasons. Maybe I'm missing something

ksotto333 08-24-2014 10:13 PM

Will you need her at work to be able to complete your job? Do you have a completely trained service dog? Are you able to do this without any service dog with you? My thought is if you are competent at this job without her and able to interview without her, then do it.

misslesleedavis1 08-24-2014 11:22 PM

No I would not bring her unless the job involved her.

JakodaCD OA 08-25-2014 08:27 AM

You don't have to answer, but I would ask these questions of myself,
Will she be coming to work with you?
If yes, Does the interviewer / company/ know this? If they don't know, I'd mention prior to interview and ask if she can accompany you.

If you won't be bringing her to the job, I wouldn't bring her unless you asked first.

Good luck with the interview

huntergreen 08-25-2014 10:06 AM

unless owning a gsd is a requirement, NO. the interviewer may not like gsd, be afraid of gsd or not like your gsd. the company is hiring you, not your dog.

ApselBear 08-25-2014 10:53 AM

This is a terrible idea unless your dog will be a partner on your job.

HOBY 08-25-2014 11:16 AM

Definitely do not bring your dog. I interview people all the time for employment. In doing so one of my questions is always about after work activities. The answer is up to the interviewee and does not weigh on the final outcome. Your interviewer would like to know. It is a question of character.

Sabis mom 08-25-2014 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kburrow11 (Post 5942073)
So I've got a job interview on Tuesday. Do you guys think I should bring Vida (my 6 month old service dog in training) with me or should I leave her at home? Thoughts?

I have been interviewing and managing people for a long time. If you came to an interview with a trained, working, service dog needed for some task at work that would be acceptable. Bringing a young dog in training is not.