German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Guide, Therapy & Service Dogs (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/guide-therapy-service-dogs/)
-   -   Penalty for lying about service dog (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/guide-therapy-service-dogs/467930-penalty-lying-about-service-dog.html)

odins_raven 07-07-2014 09:12 AM

Penalty for lying about service dog

Hello,

I have been doing some research on service dog laws (state and federal) and i have not been able to come across any sanctions for lying about having a service dog. With that being said, i can see no down side to telling people he is a service dog so i can bring him places with me as long as there is no penalty for me lying about it.

With that being said, are there any penalties (fines, jail, etc.) that can be imposed if you say your dog is a service dog but really is not?

lalachka 07-07-2014 09:17 AM

I know someone that does it. She's able to bring her dog everywhere with a fake license. No one will call you out on it, people are too scared to question a legitimate disabled person and make him uncomfortable or be open to a law suit.

However, if everyone will start passing off their dogs as service dogs then soon there will be regulations and laws and it will make things harder for the people that really need it.

lalachka 07-07-2014 09:25 AM

Penalty for lying about service dog

Another thing to consider. Service dogs are usually well trained. People with fake service dogs don't have well trained dogs (I know 2 people actually). After a while people get annoyed enough about dogs not behaving and will complain.

But even if your dog is impeccably trained, i still think it's a bad idea. I'm far from a law abiding citizen lol and this one just doesn't sit right with me

misslesleedavis1 07-07-2014 09:27 AM

I am in Ont and i see some people have them with just a doctors note, and they have went ahead and ordered service dog harness's for them from sites and walllah service dog. The one i am thinking of is for a little boy with multiple mental issues, they have a docs note and that was all they needed- I do not think the dog has its CGC or if it matters

Thewretched 07-07-2014 09:28 AM

I actually have a service dog, even thinking about doing this, makes you a terrible person. as for your friend, you seem to keep terrible company, and allowing it to happen makes you just as liable, service dogs are on par with wheelchairs, do you want to take a wheelchair everywhere too?

Sentence removed by Mod for containing pseudo swearing.

Sent from Petguide.com Free Appc

lalachka 07-07-2014 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thewretched (Post 5742090)
I actually have a service dog, even thinking about doing this, makes you a terrible person. as for your friend, you seem to keep terrible company, and allowing it to happen makes you just as liable, service dogs are on par with wheelchairs, do you want to take a wheelchair everywhere too?

What the **** is wrong with you?

You talking to me? About my friend?

misslesleedavis1 07-07-2014 09:31 AM

OP lying about having a service dog makes is not cool, not only are you taking advantage, you are setting up a situation were real service dogs may suffer down the road.

SuperG 07-07-2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odins_raven (Post 5741946)
Hello,

I have been doing some research on service dog laws (state and federal) and i have not been able to come across any sanctions for lying about having a service dog. With that being said, i can see no down side to telling people he is a service dog so i can bring him places with me as long as there is no penalty for me lying about it.

With that being said, are there any penalties (fines, jail, etc.) that can be imposed if you say your dog is a service dog but really is not?

From 2012....about 16 states have penalties for representing a service dog fraudulently....misdemeanors in most all cases.

This link covers the laws state by state. Hopefully, it helps your research.

Table of State Assistance Animal Laws

SuperG

Thewretched 07-07-2014 09:33 AM

First part, OP, second part, you. If I had a friend that was able bodied and used a wheelchair in public, I'd put a stop to it, it's not funny, it's not cute.

lalachka 07-07-2014 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thewretched (Post 5742154)
First part, OP, second part, you. If I had a friend that was able bodied and used a wheelchair in public, I'd put a stop to it, it's not funny, it's not cute.

I didn't say it was funny or cute, I said it was a bad idea and explained why. However, I can't put a stop to it. I don't believe in snitching and she didn't ask for my permission before doing it. She's also not a friend. Neither is the second person.