Penalty for lying about service dog - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2014, 09:38 AM   #11 (permalink)

Then I don't suggest referring to them as a friend, "a terrible person I know loved to break laws." May have been a better sentence. What you said could easily been misread as "I have a friend that does it and it's easy, go ahead and do it!"

People dumb enough to even think about doing this need to be scolded like a child so they know, in no way, is this a good thing.

Sent from Petguide.com Free Appc
Thewretched is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2014, 09:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewretched View Post
Then I don't suggest referring to them as a friend, "a terrible person I know loved to break laws." May have been a better sentence. What you said could easily been misread as "I have a friend that does it and it's easy, go ahead and do it!"

People dumb enough to even think about doing this need to be scolded like a child so they know, in no way, is this a good thing.

I said 'I know someone that does it'. And I can name many things worst than passing off a dog for a service dog. But as I said a few times already, I think it's a bad idea.

I did answer the op's question, as best as I can. People don't come here to be scolded.
Then I gave my opinion.
lalachka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 09:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odins_raven View Post
Hello,

With that being said, are there any penalties (fines, jail, etc.) that can be imposed if you say your dog is a service dog but really is not?
I would imagine that should your dog bite someone while you are representing him as a service dog - then the punishment for said bite would be greater as you knowingly and willfully broke the law by stating he was a service dog.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #14 (permalink)

Wow.... looks like i poked the hornets nest on this one. Not trying to turn this into an ethical debate but i do want to clarify my position. First and foremost, i meant no offense/disrespect to anyone with a service animal. I have no intention of taking him in public unless he is trained well enough to act like a real service dog would in public situations, i would not want to give service dogs a bad name, or any service animal for that matter. My dog provides me a lot of comfort for personal reasons and while i could go to the doctor and do things the right way for my situation, i would be labeled by insurance companies for the rest of my life.

Saying that this will make it harder for people down the road is a bit misleading, you could easily compare this to the debate over gun registration laws. A law abiding citizen following the correct process will have no issue getting their service animal registered, you already followed the process today if you have a service animal and followed the rules. Also, everyone will always have their own opinion so for those who strongly disagree with me, lets agree to disagree, i respect your views.

Thanks to the person who posted that table with state laws, my state was on there and there is no law/penalty for misrepresentation. My state laws don't even require a service animal to be registered. Also, my state laws clearly state that even a puppy who is in training or will some day be a service dog (and their trainer/owner) are afforded the same rights the ADA provides disabled people. We are planning on bringing him to service dog training classes anyway, so technically i am following the law in my state. (for those who think i am breaking the law, even though there is no law i would be breaking in my state either way)

Last edited by odins_raven; 07-07-2014 at 10:17 AM.
odins_raven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #15 (permalink)

PM me for helpful info on the matter

Thewretched is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 10:34 AM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odins_raven View Post
Wow.... looks like i poked the hornets nest on this one. Not trying to turn this into an ethical debate but i do want to clarify my position. First and foremost, i meant no offense/disrespect to anyone with a service animal. I have no intention of taking him in public unless he is trained well enough to act like a real service dog would in public situations, i would not want to give service dogs a bad name, or any service animal for that matter. My dog provides me a lot of comfort for personal reasons and while i could go to the doctor and do things the right way for my situation, i would be labeled by insurance companies for the rest of my life.

Saying that this will make it harder for people down the road is a bit misleading, you could easily compare this to the debate over gun registration laws. A law abiding citizen following the correct process will have no issue getting their service animal registered, you already followed the process today if you have a service animal and followed the rules. Also, everyone will always have their own opinion so for those who strongly disagree with me, lets agree to disagree, i respect your views.

Thanks to the person who posted that table with state laws, my state was on there and there is no law/penalty for misrepresentation. My state laws don't even require a service animal to be registered. Also, my state laws clearly state that even a puppy who is in training or will some day be a service dog (and their trainer/owner) are afforded the same rights the ADA provides disabled people. We are planning on bringing him to service dog training classes anyway, so technically i am following the law in my state. (for those who think i am breaking the law, even though there is no law i would be breaking in my state either way)
If I were in your shoes and planning to do what you suggest....please investigate the limits, exclusions and coverage your homeowner's policy provides for, with what you are planning. If you put your dog in a public place which normally has pet restrictions and any bad comes from it....make sure your insurance is adequate if you care. This day and age, if your soon to be service dog steps out of line in a pet restricted area.....it could get rather costly. I personally believe that a service dog attracts more attention at times in a location where dogs are not allowed...especially by children. All it would take is one snap, growl, nip etc to a young child in a store or wherever and the law suits will be flying.....

Continue to cover all the angles as you seem to be via your research and best of luck with the SD training.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 10:41 AM   #17 (permalink)

"Not trying to turn this into an ethical debate"

You started an ethical debate when you started this post.

Don't expect people who have legitimately put the time and effort into owning a service dog not to be upset at someone who's lying about doing the same.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
E.Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 10:48 AM   #18 (permalink)

Nothing has been done yet, simply doing research at this point so i can make an informed decision about this type of behavior and the consequences that come with it. Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Mods - feel free to close this thread if you want, guessing it will turn into a battleground, this is my last post on the issue.
odins_raven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 11:26 AM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

As I said, I can think of worse things than lying about a service dog. I wouldn't do it but it's not the worst crime out there.

But what I meant when I said it makes it harder for legitimate service dog owners is that they will have more hoops to jump through, will have more business owners willing to ask them to prove their dog is legitimate and so on. So while they still can get their service dogs their lives will be made more difficult and from what I know, they already don't have it that easy.
lalachka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #20 (permalink)

As a disabled veteran with a service dog I'll say this. Sentence removed by Mod for containing pseudo swearing. Don't do it.

Furthermore, it is a federal crime to impersonate a service dog.

It's nearly impossible to enforce because per the ADA I am not required to tell anyone what my disability is and Sammy is not required to have paperwork (as it's a violation of my HIPPA information).

Also, do you really want the stigma of having a disability? Blind, deaf, seizure disorder, severe anxiety disorder, PTSD, severe diabetes, etc..? This is something you WANT? Sentence removed by Mod for containing pseudo swearing. ... (or just misinformed about how "awesome" it is to be labeled "disabled"). I assure you it's not all that much fun to be on the receiving end of condescending stares from civilians that see my disabled vet license plates and then see my dog and ask, "what's wrong with you?".

Last edited by ILGHAUS; 07-08-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.