German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Guide, Therapy & Service Dogs (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/guide-therapy-service-dogs/)
-   -   Question for trainers (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/guide-therapy-service-dogs/454042-question-trainers.html)

Mishka&Milo 05-25-2014 11:46 AM

Question for trainers

The other day at the park I allowed two little children to pet my SD... I don't normally allow it, but I decided to make an exception because she had a long day, and the children really wanted to meet her. While watching her tail wag, I was happy I had socialized her with children at a young age.... But then I wondered. What happens to the dogs who don't have that training at a young age? What if one day while training dogs I run into a child aggressive dog? How would that be handled? Have any of you had experience with that?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Baillif 05-25-2014 12:29 PM

I don't allow client dogs to interact with children even if they have bomb proof temperaments. Just not worth the risks,

Mishka&Milo 05-25-2014 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baillif (Post 5563202)
I don't allow client dogs to interact with children even if they have bomb proof temperaments. Just not worth the risks,

Do any trainers even touch this? Or is it just one of those "that's it" kind of things?

huntergreen 05-25-2014 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mishka&Milo (Post 5563154)
The other day at the park I allowed two little children to pet my SD... I don't normally allow it, but I decided to make an exception because she had a long day, and the children really wanted to meet her. While watching her tail wag, I was happy I had socialized her with children at a young age.... But then I wondered. What happens to the dogs who don't have that training at a young age? What if one day while training dogs I run into a child aggressive dog? How would that be handled? Have any of you had experience with that?

always made it a point socialize my dogs with all people, including an early age. i would think the first part oh handling a child aggressive dog is getting a trainer with the ability to deal with this behavior. the alternative is to never let this dog be around children.

Nigel 05-25-2014 01:42 PM

I wouldn't think there's any safe way to do this this? once a dog shows unprovoked aggression toward a kid, thats it, the dog would have to be managed from then on.

Pax8 05-25-2014 04:20 PM

Any dog that I know is even slightly uncomfortable around children, I would just keep away from children period. If I'm working with a client's dog, even if they're the most solid animal in the world, they only interact with approved training helpers, which again, will never be a child.

As others have said, it will never be worth the risk.

SuperG 05-25-2014 04:39 PM

Unfortunately, the trainer which educated me stated about the same as others here have....I was somewhat proud of the fact that all my GSDs over the years have been cupcakes around small children and mentioned this to the trainer and he basically said "NO..it's not worth the possible ramifications"..I guess I was resistant to his advice at first but now appreciate in this litigious society we live in....he was correct and have preceded to follow his advice......I hate that when that happens....

Oh...Pax8..every time I see your avatar...it's a good chuckle...one of the best...crazy bat dog...nice !

SuperG

Pax8 05-25-2014 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperG (Post 5563650)
Oh...Pax8..every time I see your avatar...it's a good chuckle...one of the best...crazy bat dog...nice !

SuperG

Ha, thanks. Wish it still fit him, but that was back when he was just barely five pounds! :eek:

Mishka&Milo 05-25-2014 10:25 PM

Thanks for the replies. I see where you are coming from.

Gwenhwyfair 05-26-2014 10:27 AM

I'm not a trainer but just want to add from my personal experience while training my dogs it's not just liability to worry about but also the unpredictability of kids.

Autumn our sweet little marshmallow Aussie is cute as all get out. Kids always want to pet her. The neighbor girl whose family had two dogs, had petted Autumn before asked one day if she could pet Autumn. I said sure because Autumn is just a doll of a dog. Well the little girl went to pat Autumns head, Autumn lifted her face up and started to lick the little girls hand. The little girl screamed as though Autumn was about to rip her apart from limb to limb and took off running as fast as her little legs could go.

This totally freaked poor Autumn out and was really unfair to Autumn who was startled by the girls loud high pitched scream and reaction.

Fast forward a few months. Little neighbor girl asks if she can pet Ilda. I told her "No" very quickly. She asked if Ilda would bite? I said no because the last time I let you pet Autumn you ran away screaming and it scared Autumn very badly. She stared at me for a moment, I don't know if it clicked in her 9 year old head or not but this little girl has not been taught how to behave around dogs. Her dad was nearby and he heard what I said to his daughter as well.

Moral of my story, kids are unpredictable, some have not been taught how to behave around dogs and some just don't have a 'feel' for it even when they are a little older.

Therefore my rule after what happened with Autumn is NO kids are allowed to pet my dogs, period.