Service dog with no disability - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Service dog with no disability

I watched this video on YouTube. This guy had a bully pittbull which was a service dog. But the guy looked perfectly normal. Are there different types of service dogs? I thought only people with disabilities could use a service dog in a place of business and things like that. I was told some people get fake papers claiming their dog is a service dog just so that they can bring their dogs on planes for free and hotels and things like that.
Airman1stclass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2014, 07:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Diabetes, anxiety, etc. so many different conditions that people can get service dogs for that don't necessarily have outward appearances that make it obvious. I know someone with severe social anxiety that has a service dog
Old 04-13-2014, 07:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Could be a moral support dog too.
Baillif is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2014, 07:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There are many disabilities that aren't obvious

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2014, 07:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Never thought about that. How could a dog help with diabetes or anxiety? Just wondering..
Airman1stclass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2014, 07:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

People who go into diabetic ketoacidosis have a specific smell to them that a dog can easily pick up on and alert them that they need to take action with their blood sugar levels.

As for anxiety? Depends on the form but generally the presence of animals has a calming effect on some people for whatever reason.
Baillif is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2014, 07:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Please don't assume that just because you can't see a disability, the person doesn't have one. I care for my sister, who was awarded her disability benefits on the first try without the benefit of a lawyer, but you would not know about her disabilities just by looking at her. We had the support of 7 doctors who backed her application. PTSD is only one of the issues, physical, emotional and mental, that she deals with each and every day. She could easily get a service dog, but our Orick, himself a survivor of abuse and neglect, has assigned himself that position and is invaluable to me in caring for her. Right now we are awaiting a test that will determine whether she will be going into the second round of her fight with cancer.

Never judge a book by its cover.

Susan
Susan_GSD_mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2014, 08:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
As for anxiety? Depends on the form but generally the presence of animals has a calming effect on some people for whatever reason.
A calming effect is not a SD task. This would be an Emotional Support Dog or for most of us -- a typical pet.

Karl's Kids Program Inc
Service Dog Team Group Facebook
Assistance Dog Advocacy Project Facebook

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
Putnam County Emergency Animal Support/Pet-Friendly Evacuation Shelters
Gov. Agency Member of FL State Agricultural Response Team
ILGHAUS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2014, 09:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

For people who have really bad anxiety (generally social anxiety), the dog can do something called Deep Pressure Therapy, where they push their head or paws against the person to help them ground themselves. They can also help the person find an exit if they are getting too overwhelmed and help prevent a panic attack in this way.

There are a lot of invisible reasons for people to have service dogs. Seizures is another that you don't always see until the person has it. The dog senses the changes and starts to alert the person so that they can get into a safe place/position. I know a girl who actually completely checks out mentally and simply goes off. Some days when this happens she collapses and starts convulsing. I witnessed this myself a few weeks ago when we were out with the trainer. Thankfully her aunt was right next to her and I stepped up to help carefully lower her down and brace her against my legs so her head didn't hit the ground. Her sister brought their car around and brought her aussie out who is being taught how to alert others to help her and keep her from wandering off. As soon as Shiva was near, the convulsing slowed and she focused completely on the dog.

But when we were all just standing around and talking, you wouldn't know anything was wrong with her.

There is a lot of controversy right now dealing with service dogs as they don't have a true registry, and the list of things that we are discovering dogs can alert to in people is getting longer. They can be taught all kinds of tasks to help someone out.

I have some issues with my ability to hold onto objects and my legs are not 100% reliable to keep me upright either due to pain or nerve functions. Most of the time, you'd never know. When it flares badly, I tend to grit my teeth and push on, but when I have my golden with me, he is extremely helpful to keep my balance, help me up, pick up something that I dropped, brace so I can bend over, help me navigate over unstable terrain.

Dogs are pretty awesome tools in helping people live independent lives. Just because the person is standing and smiling doesn't mean that they have no reason to have their dog with them.
Colie CVT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2014, 09:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Our dog is service dog trained and is 6 months, 21 and 20 Y/O when we walk around we don't appear to have anything wrong with us either, between the both of us we have medical conditions that make us unable to function without medicine, she is trained to find us if separated without a command, and to grab and bring medicine if one of us falls over.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Thewretched is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.