German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Guide, Therapy & Service Dogs (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/guide-therapy-service-dogs/)
-   -   He starts training next week. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/guide-therapy-service-dogs/390650-he-starts-training-next-week.html)

OUbrat79 01-03-2014 05:28 PM

He starts training next week.

I am starting Ammo's training to be a therapy dog next week. I know petsmart isn't the best place to go for training but in this area it's the only place we really have. The guy that is going to be helping with Ammo's training has trained other therapy dogs and thinks Ammo is perfect for therapy work. After going through a couple training classes Ammo will be tested and have an AKC title. Hopefully in about 4-6 weeks Ammo will be certified and ready to go. I can't wait!

Also for those of you who have therapy dogs, what kind of vest do you use for them? I have a friend who makes custom vest for dogs and I am going to have her make one, but I wanted some input on what kind of vest he should wear. I want something to where when I put it on him he knows it's work time. Thanks.

DJEtzel 01-03-2014 05:40 PM

Just wanted to pop in and say that AKC does not have a therapy dog program, so an AKC title will not make him a therapy dog. You're probably talking about the CGC which is a great first step for therapy dogs, but organizations like the Delta Society and Therapy Dogs International are the ones that can certify therapy dogs and what most hospitals and organizations want to see a dog have before being allowed to visit.

Keep in mind that many facilities do not like dogs wearing big harnesses/vests because they interfere with being able to pet the dog, could be abrasive for sensitive children or adults, etc. I know around here cute bandanas are much preferred. May want to call around to places you plan to visit beforehand to see what they prefer. :)

Good luck on training!

Jax08 01-03-2014 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJEtzel (Post 4767754)
Just wanted to pop in and say that AKC does not have a therapy dog program, so an AKC title will not make him a therapy dog.

They do title therapy dogs after so many visits. Just a way to collect money. CGC is now a title too if you pay for it.

DJEtzel 01-03-2014 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 4767786)
They do title therapy dogs after so many visits. Just a way to collect money. CGC is now a title too if you pay for it.

I knew they did that whole CGC title thing. What a rip off.

What do they call their therapy certification?/when did that start? I have never heard of it. :confused:

eta; Oh just found it. Definitely a money-maker, since they just require another organization's therapy certification. Lol.

Jax08 01-03-2014 05:52 PM

They don't do the therapy certification. You still need to go thru an organization like Delta or get your own insurance. But they do "sell" a title after so many visits.
AKC's Canine Good CitizenŽ (CGC) Program

CGC title...right?! I just shake my head at some people touting their titled dogs. What title? CGC. Good JOB! lol

However, I do feel the therapy dog is an accomplishment worthy of recognition. But I think it should be awarded freely. How much could a piece of paper cost to recognize a public service?

Castlemaid 01-03-2014 05:54 PM

The therapy pet organization I that I was with provided a 'uniform' vest for my dog - this way they were all the same and easily recognizable. Had to go in and have my dog measure and fitted! It was a lightweight Aqua Blue dog coat- looked very official though.

The organization that you will work with will let you know what is allowed/recommended for your dog.

OUbrat79 01-03-2014 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 4767850)
They don't do the therapy certification. You still need to go thru an organization like Delta or get your own insurance. But they do "sell" a title after so many visits.
AKC's Canine Good CitizenŽ (CGC) Program

CGC title...right?! I just shake my head at some people touting their titled dogs. What title? CGC. Good JOB! lol

However, I do feel the therapy dog is an accomplishment worthy of recognition. But I think it should be awarded freely. How much could a piece of paper cost to recognize a public service?

Well now I feel like I am completely wasting time and effort. A CGC title is what he will have. He will still have to do some other things to be an actual therapy dog, but this is a first step.

gsdsar 01-03-2014 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OUbrat79 (Post 4768282)
Well now I feel like I am completely wasting time and effort. A CGC title is what he will have. He will still have to do some other things to be an actual therapy dog, but this is a first step.

Training your dog is never a waste of time. Get the CGC, then move forward with further training. The journey is always worth it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

David Taggart 01-03-2014 07:58 PM

It cannot be that easy or cheap, do you know English saying:" The stingy pay twice"? Please, please, please, undertand me right way. Refuse.
The best thing is to do what my friend did: he found a social worker who workes for disabled with his lab. He paid her about 6 months only to go together with her to the places where she received the calls from learning in the place itself how her dog worked and she explained him things ( especially medical requirements) and how to train. He became a member of Psychiatric Service Dogs Association in UK - that is what you should do first, to be a member of a serious organization, to be valued there, that is where all your future springs out. In order to be certified - you don't have to go out of your house:https://www.certifymydog.com/

boomer11 01-03-2014 08:06 PM

what happened to protection training? i thought thats why you bought your dog?