Alpha dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2013, 02:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna
Default Alpha dog

Fiona is off at training camp. When she comes home in 9 days and 6 hours, I want to make sure that I am alpha. I read Ceasar's way and the monks of new skete. I am worried that Fiona will still think she is the boss, because I need her more than she needs me. Anyone else have this problem? If so, how did you deal with it?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2013, 02:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

i never worry about who's alpha. i think through training, socializing,
feeding, playing, quiet time, caring for, petting, etc there's a bond.
when you have a well trained, highly socialized dog i don't think there's
any need to worry about alpha.

now the other side of alpha. we drive our dogs around while they
sit in the back of the car, we open and close doors for our dogs,
we bring them their food and water, we towel them off, we clean
up their poop, we pay for all of their bills, etc. so, are we really
the "alpha"? lol.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 02:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

I would have dealt with it by doing the training with my dog rather that sending her off to training camp.

Training with the dog yourself helps to develop a great bond between yourself and the dog. Personally, when I go to training with my dog, It is me who is being trained to better understand my dog and learn how to train her.
BahCan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 03:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahCan View Post
I would have dealt with it by doing the training with my dog rather that sending her off to training camp.

Training with the dog yourself helps to develop a great bond between yourself and the dog. Personally, when I go to training with my dog, It is me who is being trained to better understand my dog and learn how to train her.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahCan View Post

If you will look at the posters signature, she was sent off to service dog training. Most people do not train their service dogs themselves.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Are you not receiving handler training from the organization training your dog? They will know your dog far better than anyone on the board. I would suggest you take your guidance from them.
David Winners is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Shepherdmom..you are correct, i did not see that, I don't look at the posters signatures, I only read the questions they post.

That changes everything as the dog is in service dog training.
BahCan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Winners View Post
Are you not receiving handler training from the organization training your dog? They will know your dog far better than anyone on the board. I would suggest you take your guidance from them.
This. Any organization (or experienced trainer, if you are doing it independently) worth their salt will be able to train YOU how to work with the dog as much as they will be teaching the dog to work for you. You may not be teaching her how to do everything on her "job" list, but they should at least be planning on teaching you the appropriate way to handle and live with her. I would discuss these concerns with them first and foremost.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2013, 12:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

Be it pet dog or Service Dog, don't worry about Alpha. The thing is to be a partnership with respect for each other. This is something that you need to earn by showing your dog that you are fair in your requests and that you will always see to her needs.

What type of training camp did you send your dog to? What are they teaching her and how long has she been gone? Are they going to be working with the two of you together when you get her back?

I have to admit, I don't remember ever hearing of someone sending their SDIT to a training "camp" before and I would really like to hear more.

Karl's Kids Program Inc
Service Dog Team Group Facebook
Assistance Dog Advocacy Project Facebook

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
Putnam County Emergency Animal Support/Pet-Friendly Evacuation Shelters
Gov. Agency Member of FL State Agricultural Response Team
ILGHAUS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2013, 02:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

So many people get their back up when they hear Alpha, Dominance or any of the other buzzwords out there.

I think what the OP is saying is that she wants to be a confident leadership figure to her dog. There is nothing wrong with that, infact it may be critical to their working relationship.

To the OP
You feed, house, pay the bills and walk the dog. Trust me she needs you more then you need her. Think of her as an employee you pay for the services she renders you. No service, or poor service and pay starts getting docked. Rule violations lead to discipline. On the flip side good performance = bonuses. Make it black and white.
Check out threads on NILF.

In addition I sincerely doubt a certified service dog will be a truly "dominant" dog. Those are rare and would not be suitable for that role. What you may get is an opportunist that takes advantage of a weak or inconsistent handler, but even that is not a guarentee. It is also an easy fix and even easier to avoid.
Such shy animals are in all circumstances an encumbrance to their owner, who must be ashamed of such a dog, and a disgrace to their race. Under no circumstances whatever must they be used for breeding, however noble and striking they may appear.

Last edited by Blitzkrieg1; 12-25-2013 at 02:03 AM.
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.