German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Guide, Therapy & Service Dogs (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/guide-therapy-service-dogs/)
-   -   Alpha dog (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/guide-therapy-service-dogs/385802-alpha-dog.html)

Cheyanna 12-24-2013 01:17 AM

Alpha dog

Fiona is off at training camp. When she comes home in 9 days and 6 hours, I want to make sure that I am alpha. I read Ceasar's way and the monks of new skete. I am worried that Fiona will still think she is the boss, because I need her more than she needs me. Anyone else have this problem? If so, how did you deal with it?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

doggiedad 12-24-2013 01:53 AM

i never worry about who's alpha. i think through training, socializing,
feeding, playing, quiet time, caring for, petting, etc there's a bond.
when you have a well trained, highly socialized dog i don't think there's
any need to worry about alpha.

now the other side of alpha. we drive our dogs around while they
sit in the back of the car, we open and close doors for our dogs,
we bring them their food and water, we towel them off, we clean
up their poop, we pay for all of their bills, etc. so, are we really
the "alpha"? lol.

BahCan 12-24-2013 01:57 AM

I would have dealt with it by doing the training with my dog rather that sending her off to training camp.

Training with the dog yourself helps to develop a great bond between yourself and the dog. Personally, when I go to training with my dog, It is me who is being trained to better understand my dog and learn how to train her.

doggiedad 12-24-2013 02:06 AM

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BahCan (Post 4717898)
I would have dealt with it by doing the training with my dog rather that sending her off to training camp.

Training with the dog yourself helps to develop a great bond between yourself and the dog. Personally, when I go to training with my dog, It is me who is being trained to better understand my dog and learn how to train her.

shepherdmom 12-24-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BahCan (Post 4717898)

If you will look at the posters signature, she was sent off to service dog training. Most people do not train their service dogs themselves.

David Winners 12-24-2013 10:09 AM

Are you not receiving handler training from the organization training your dog? They will know your dog far better than anyone on the board. I would suggest you take your guidance from them.

BahCan 12-24-2013 11:03 AM

Shepherdmom..you are correct, i did not see that, I don't look at the posters signatures, I only read the questions they post.

That changes everything as the dog is in service dog training.

LoveEcho 12-24-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Winners (Post 4718786)
Are you not receiving handler training from the organization training your dog? They will know your dog far better than anyone on the board. I would suggest you take your guidance from them.

This. Any organization (or experienced trainer, if you are doing it independently) worth their salt will be able to train YOU how to work with the dog as much as they will be teaching the dog to work for you. You may not be teaching her how to do everything on her "job" list, but they should at least be planning on teaching you the appropriate way to handle and live with her. I would discuss these concerns with them first and foremost.

ILGHAUS 12-24-2013 11:54 PM

Be it pet dog or Service Dog, don't worry about Alpha. The thing is to be a partnership with respect for each other. This is something that you need to earn by showing your dog that you are fair in your requests and that you will always see to her needs.

What type of training camp did you send your dog to? What are they teaching her and how long has she been gone? Are they going to be working with the two of you together when you get her back?

I have to admit, I don't remember ever hearing of someone sending their SDIT to a training "camp" before and I would really like to hear more.

Blitzkrieg1 12-25-2013 01:00 AM

So many people get their back up when they hear Alpha, Dominance or any of the other buzzwords out there.

I think what the OP is saying is that she wants to be a confident leadership figure to her dog. There is nothing wrong with that, infact it may be critical to their working relationship.

To the OP
You feed, house, pay the bills and walk the dog. Trust me she needs you more then you need her. Think of her as an employee you pay for the services she renders you. No service, or poor service and pay starts getting docked. Rule violations lead to discipline. On the flip side good performance = bonuses. Make it black and white.
Check out threads on NILF.

In addition I sincerely doubt a certified service dog will be a truly "dominant" dog. Those are rare and would not be suitable for that role. What you may get is an opportunist that takes advantage of a weak or inconsistent handler, but even that is not a guarentee. It is also an easy fix and even easier to avoid.