German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Guide, Therapy & Service Dogs (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/guide-therapy-service-dogs/)
-   -   It's official!!!! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/guide-therapy-service-dogs/375393-its-official.html)

Rbeckett 12-03-2013 08:53 AM

It's official!!!!

Dixie my in house service dog in training will graduate on the 7th of Dec. After her performance the night that I required emergency care and a long discussion with the foundation she came from we decided that she had earned her right to wear the vest and join the ranks of dogs in service. The best part of the story for those of you who have been following her shaky progress is that she has been paired with me and will remain in my home to become my official service dog. So now I have the best of both worlds, a pair of companion dogs and my very own service dog to boot!! Dixies climb to stardom has been a little shaky after her run in with thunder, but we have desensitized her to the point that she is no longer reactive to thunder or lightning in all but the most severe storms that are directly overhead. So on Saturday Dixie will go from long term foster to full fledged Service Dog.... She just needed the right handler to really blossom and grow into her calling.

Wheelchair Bob

Baillif 12-03-2013 08:56 AM

Nice job. No dog makes it to that point without hitting adversity at some point. Glad to hear yours made it through. Congrats!

Shade 12-03-2013 09:19 AM

That's wonderful news! :)

Sp00ks 12-03-2013 09:46 AM

Congrats to you and Dixie.

fredh 12-03-2013 11:33 AM

Thats good news Bob! The end result says a lot about the handler (You).

Msmaria 12-03-2013 12:07 PM

Yay. Awesome job by both of you guys. :)

Lilie 12-03-2013 12:21 PM

Congrats Bob!

BellaLuna 12-03-2013 01:23 PM

Well done! Congratulations :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Andaka 12-03-2013 05:50 PM

Congrats to you and Dixie.

Rbeckett 12-06-2013 08:11 PM

Had Dix out and about today in her vest and she was prancing and very happy to have her vest on and to be working again. As soon as I picked it up and told her Paws she got right up and did the paws on a chair so I could put her vest on without having to bend over so far. She really wanted to go out and prance around once we started to the door. It took a few minutes to get her to settle down and stop pulling, but she did just fine and was visibly very happy to have her vest and to be working with me. She didn't want to come back in the house or take off her vest when we got back home, she wanted to go make another 2 mile lap so she could show off for the little black mongrel up the street. He always charges the street, but stops way short so he doesn't get too close and get bitten. He is a hienz 57 that runs free and is intact so I don't expect him to last long in the neighborhood before he gets run over or animal control picks him up down the street from his home. I keep threatening to put a leash on him and take him for a walk and see if I cant tire him out and help him quit trying to charge stuff in the street. I may just do it one day since his owner isn't very interested in keeping him safe or doing any training. Oh well, just another cause to get involved in if I start trying to train all the dogs in the neighborhood...

Wheelchair Bob