Unsold Puppies - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to zivagirl
Thumbs up Unsold Puppies

I was delightfully surprised when our breeder told me that any unsold puppies at 6 months (huge litter), will be donated to an organization that trains and places service dogs.
zivagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sounds great except for wondering why at 6 months old they haven't been sold. Service dogs require a very specific temperament and drive, the leftovers aren't necessarily the best plan. I would be curious to ask the breeder what the success rate is for the puppies placed as service dogs.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
Sounds great except for wondering why at 6 months old they haven't been sold. Service dogs require a very specific temperament and drive, the leftovers aren't necessarily the best plan. I would be curious to ask the breeder what the success rate is for the puppies placed as service dogs.
They can likely be used for *some* type of service.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My golden's breeder donates one puppy out of every litter. They pick and hold the puppy and its donated at the 8 week mark.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 12:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to zivagirl

Quote:
In this particular case, it might be because the litter was unexpectedly huge. As for the success rate, I guess I'm not nearly suspicious enough.
zivagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 08:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
My golden's breeder donates one puppy out of every litter. They pick and hold the puppy and its donated at the 8 week mark.
That's the way it should be done. Evaluations, temperament testing, drive, nerves, should be evaluated vs just placing the leftovers from the litter.

I have puppy raised for two different service dog organizations (one for guide dogs, one for assistance dogs) and the assistance dog organization would take in donated dogs from various sources, often leftover puppies. I can not think of a single one that actually panned out, whereas the pups they specifically selected or bred for typically did well.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
That's the way it should be done. Evaluations, temperament testing, drive, nerves, should be evaluated vs just placing the leftovers from the litter.

I have puppy raised for two different service dog organizations (one for guide dogs, one for assistance dogs) and the assistance dog organization would take in donated dogs from various sources, often leftover puppies. I can not think of a single one that actually panned out, whereas the pups they specifically selected or bred for typically did well.
I wonder what they see in the pups that they can narrow it down to one? My golden would be a wonderful service dog. Eventually I would love to do therapy work with him...He makes the whole room light up!! I'm glad they didn't pick him
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You can see a lot in a puppy very early on to evaluate it as a working prospect. It isn't foulproof, pups can change as they grow, but good evaluators can narrow it down pretty well.

Therapy dogs are great dogs, but they are not service dogs, so there may be a reason they didn't pick him, or they missed out on a good pick for one that showed a bit more promise perhaps

Meant to also add - or they had a select number of open spots for training and only needed one pup, and had to choose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.