Why not a SD that is also a visiting TD? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
"The person with disabilities has the access rights for their dog (equipment). The dog has no access rights"

not entirely correct because dogs in training wearing authorized insignia with their foster - raising families , pre - certification and not handled by a needing person -- have access to public buildings and transport

been there done that -- dog in training allowed into restaurant - I was the raiser of that one
In some states (Thank GOD!) a SDIT only has access when accompanied by a Service Dog trainer from a recognised Service Dog business/facility.
Some states reqire trainers/businesses to have a license.
Some states its a free for all.
SFGSSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Service Dogs for disabled people have turned into a political circus. Non working dog trainers bringing a Pet mentality to the scean is causing misdirection to a dangerous level.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
Everyone knows that a blind person and others with disability has a right to enter any public place with a Trained and Licensed Service dog....
By law trained to directly mitigate the disability. Federal law does not reqire licencing. Some States reqire a license, but it is not a Federal law... Yet. If and when that day comes, it will help tremendously to clean up the mess that is in the SD industry.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:34 AM   #24 (permalink)

SFGSSD, if you are going to quote me from other sources I would appreciate that you give the link so that people can read exactly what were my words and what words I was quoting from others. This would also give them the chance to see in what context I was speaking.

Thank you.

Karl's Kids Program Inc Animal Services 2000
ADAP Facebook
ADAP Blog
Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
Putnam County Emergency Animal Support/Pet-Friendly Evacuation Shelters
Gov. Agency Member of FL State Agricultural Response Team

Last edited by ILGHAUS; 01-10-2013 at 01:01 AM.
ILGHAUS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 01:02 AM   #25 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILGHAUS View Post
SFGSSD, if you are going to quote me from other sources I would appreciate that you give the link so that people can read exactly what were my words and what words I was quoting from others. This would also give them the chance to see in what context I was speaking.

Thank you.
Yes please, as per board rules:
Quote:
Please do not quote a member's post out of context, using a portion, or portions, of the post that gives it new meaning, one the initial poster never intended to convey. Also, should you feel it necessary to use a quote from a post on this board somewhere else, wherever that may be, please obtain the explicit permission of the author prior to using the quote. This eliminates the possibility of our members being misrepresented without their knowledge.
SSGSFD, did you get explicit permission from TJ to quote and post her material here?

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 01:15 AM   #26 (permalink)

From a post of SFGSSD

"This is how a Therapy Dog is defined on numerous sites. Pay close attention to the areas I highlighted in red.
Right from the website of ILGHAUS:

"Q. If I have my dog made a therapy dog or a emotional support dog can it then live in a apartment that doesn’t allow dogs?
A. Therapy Dogs are pet dogs that can be owned by either disabled or non-disabled owners."

Please note this is a section titled:
Therapy Dog or Emotional Support Dog in Rental and not a discussion on Service Dogs being tested as Therapy Dogs.

ADAP Facebook
ADAP Blog
Old 01-10-2013, 02:11 AM   #27 (permalink)

I have already posted in another thread to be careful of how posts are made on this topic.

I just do want to point out that there is no current Federal or any State Laws that I am aware of that do not allow a Service Dog to be tested or registered to be used as a Therapy Dog.

So while some may have the opinion that it should not be - please keep in mind that it is an opinion and not current law.

As to this from a post by SFGSSD:
"If you want your Service Dog to be a pet and participate in visiting Therapy Dog work, do yourself and your dog a favor. Retire the dog as a Service Dog and go for it. If visiting Therapy work means that much to you and it means more to you than the gift of having a Service Dog… so be it. Or you can Register your dog with someone other than TDI and take your chances.
Ursula A. Kempe, President of TDI has over 40 years of working dog training experience. This decision does not come from delusions or from political pressure nor will she fold under political pressure. "

Until recently - I believe the change was made in 2012, Ursula Kempe/TDI did allow SDs to be tested and registered with their organization as Therapy Dogs.

ADAP Facebook
ADAP Blog
Old 01-10-2013, 08:04 AM   #28 (permalink)

while I don't much about the politics, laws , regs regarding SD's,,I'm getting that there is no Federal or State Laws prohibiting someone with an SD to do /certify their dog to be a Therapy dog as well.

So being a TD dog & SD dog is basically just considered "taboo" by some ?

My opinion, ridiculous, I think a trained dog can distinguish one job from the another.

Example, a dog trained in agility & obedience 'knows' the difference between walking into the agility ring and walking into an obedience ring and what is required in each.

I also don't believe for one minute that the majority of people who have SD's, don't interact with them in a "pet" manner at some point during their day.

While I do think a dog (SD)that is working should be just that, in working mode, not bothered by people, outside distractions, I do think a dog smart enough to be trained in this type of work, would also be smart enough to know when they are in work mode and when they are in down time/some other mode..

ANd I also agree, when quoting anything, please provide a link or the entire context of the quote so we may see/understand it fully

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post

There IS. Saw it when shadowing trainers in urban portion of the certification process -- dogs were canned because someone , an admirer said ohh what a lovely dog , and the dog distracted and attracted --- . Taking the dog out to be petted and enjoying attention from others goes so much against the grain (devotion) for everything the dog was bred for selected for trained for , certified for and needs to do on a day to day basis.
So Service Dogs are NEVER allowed to get attention from anyone other than the handler? Sorry but I find that hard to believe.

What if the handler has to go into the hospital for an operation? Does their SD just sit at home with no-one to feed it or let it out or give it any attention? What about those people that have a SD AND a pet dog?

What about those people that have a SD and a family with little kids? No-one in that family is allowed to interact with the SD?

In my opinion, a Service Dog that is not allowed to have any contact from anyone else because it may confuse them - that is a poorly trained Service Dog.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) – Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

Nothing is being taken out of context here. I will clarify even further.
1. Therapy Dogs DO NOT have general public access with or without a disabled handler.
2. Therapy Dogs although they may be considered a type of Working Dog they have minimal training in comparison. They are considered to be well behaved PETS when it comes right down to it.
3. Is there a Federal or State LAW that prevents Service Dogs from being registered as a Therapy Dog? NO (No Law was stopping anyone with a driver’s license to drive 180+MPH on the Autobahn in Germany but that does not mean it is not dangerous to the inexperienced driver or dangerous at all. This is information can be relayed by any professional driver, but what do they know right?)
4. Fact: A good majority of Service Dog organizations and Professional trainers DO NOT support the notion that there is nothing wrong with a Service Dog also functioning in a duel role as a visiting Therapy Dog from a training and conditioning prospective. (The dog is not trained well enough? The Dog is not smart enough? That’s a pretty bold statement considering where this is coming from.)
Therapy Dogs from this forum:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/guide-therapy-service-dogs/181979-therapy-dogs.html#post2471643
I am very concerned that advice is given in this capacity by people that should not be giving this kind of advice. (Thank you ILGHAUS for pointing out that it is your opinion and not current law)
Although what Carmen and I are saying can be also considered opinion, it is also a professional opinion that is supported by more working dog professionals within the Service Dog industry and elsewhere than I can count. If you want to get an outside prospective on this, call a major Service Dog organization and speak with their training director yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.