Why not a SD that is also a visiting TD? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

JohnD- everyone thinks they know that "trained and licensed" service dogs have access rights. But, at least according to the info that's been made clear in this forum:
1) The person with disabilities has the access rights for their dog (equipment). The dog has no access rights.
2) There is no licensing authority requirement for service dogs.

Subtle distinction, but a distinction none-the-less. Also, I believe there HAVE been stories reported of people bring non-dog animals in as emotional support animals! I faintly remember a story of a pigmy goat!? haha!

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties.
I didn't realize the bolded, underlined line was in the ADA law. Wouldn't this line define an "emotional support dog?" I didn't think that emotional support dogs were considered service dogs. I knew that therapy dogs weren't.

--- yes , they are Service Dogs which enables them to accompany the person everywhere - same as a guide dog .
The dogs go through extensive training and are certified -- by a person qualified to do so - as there are implications including insurance and liability . It is not a matter of handing over a stable friendly dog . York will be leaving me next week to start his journey for this very purpose.

"BUT ... If I have a Service Dog (let's say I'm blind) and my HUSBAND wants to take him to do therapy work - there's absolutely nothing wrong with that."

There IS. Saw it when shadowing trainers in urban portion of the certification process -- dogs were canned because someone , an admirer said ohh what a lovely dog , and the dog distracted and attracted --- . Taking the dog out to be petted and enjoying attention from others goes so much against the grain (devotion) for everything the dog was bred for selected for trained for , certified for and needs to do on a day to day basis.

Want a pet - get a pet -- want a therapy dog to go round to visit shut ins - get a suitable dog -- Service and Therapy are not the same.

Also , at least with organizations that I have dealt with , there are check ups to make sure no bad habits have been allowed to build up - almost like the required (in Canada at least) re-certification process of police service dogs.

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

"The person with disabilities has the access rights for their dog (equipment). The dog has no access rights"

not entirely correct because dogs in training wearing authorized insignia with their foster - raising families , pre - certification and not handled by a needing person -- have access to public buildings and transport

been there done that -- dog in training allowed into restaurant - I was the raiser of that one

Carmspack
Old 01-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Carmen, I'm not in the know enough to argue the points. Are you referring to ADA law, or a Canadian version? That would be one distinction. Also, I do believe there have been a couple threads on SDIT and if I recall correctly (which I might not) the ADA law does not specifically cover SDIT. Or maybe it does so by deferring to the State. Something like that... But I thought (again, I maybe be off in my recollection) that it was really up to the establishment if they would allow a SDIT into their place. And most trainers pre-call to confirm with them.

That was my understanding anyway.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

these were dogs provided for USA users and trained and certified by USA personnel. --- Sterling for one .

my experience in Canada has been with guide dogs - which also train and certifiy Service Dogs

Carmspack
Old 01-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph

So, does this mean that a service dog should never have any interaction with anybody but the handler?

Strauss: Service dog/old man
Wesson: The soon to be champion
Loch: Service dog in training
Barrett: The Frikken Tikken
Xeph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph

Also, it is ALWAYS the handler, NOT the dog that has access.

Strauss: Service dog/old man
Wesson: The soon to be champion
Loch: Service dog in training
Barrett: The Frikken Tikken
Xeph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
We had a situation here when I did animal control in which a woman claimed her pit bull (banned at that time from this town) was a therapy dog - for herself (she had mental illness).

The attorney for the city informed us she could choose any breed for her therapy dog, and this dog was not exempt (by virtue of being a "therapy dog") from the pit bull ban. She had to move the dog out of town, and/or move herself.

By the definitions above, what she was saying isn't even legally legitimate, right? You can have a therapy dog that sees other people and comforts them, but not one for yourself, to make yourself feel better?

The reason I ask this is many folks I've come across will tell me "this is my therapy dog, I feel better when I pet it" or some such, and use that as justification to bring their dogs in stores, on airplanes, basically, any place dogs are normally not allowed.

The same with apartments, many people will try to claim their dog gives them therapy and therefore, even if dogs are banned at said apartment, they believe they can get a doctor's note to keep the dog?
Here is a link that may clear up the differences in terms:
Please Don't Pet Me
SFGSSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
I didn't realize the bolded, underlined line was in the ADA law. Wouldn't this line define an "emotional support dog?" I didn't think that emotional support dogs were considered service dogs. I knew that therapy dogs weren't.
this may clear up differences in terms Please Don't Pet Me
Old 01-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties.

--- yes , they are Service Dogs which enables them to accompany the person everywhere - same as a guide dog .
The dogs go through extensive training and are certified -- by a person qualified to do so - as there are implications including insurance and liability . It is not a matter of handing over a stable friendly dog . York will be leaving me next week to start his journey for this very purpose.

"BUT ... If I have a Service Dog (let's say I'm blind) and my HUSBAND wants to take him to do therapy work - there's absolutely nothing wrong with that."

There IS. Saw it when shadowing trainers in urban portion of the certification process -- dogs were canned because someone , an admirer said ohh what a lovely dog , and the dog distracted and attracted --- . Taking the dog out to be petted and enjoying attention from others goes so much against the grain (devotion) for everything the dog was bred for selected for trained for , certified for and needs to do on a day to day basis.

Want a pet - get a pet -- want a therapy dog to go round to visit shut ins - get a suitable dog -- Service and Therapy are not the same.

Also , at least with organizations that I have dealt with , there are check ups to make sure no bad habits have been allowed to build up - almost like the required (in Canada at least) re-certification process of police service dogs.
Well said!
Carmen, this is stemming from the owner trainer crowd and political/emotional motivation. Some people get intimidated and do the wrong thing just to avoid the drama from that crowd. Sad, but true.

I may know a lot about medical law. But I am not going to tell people especialy doctors the do's and doníts when it comes to surgery. I'll leave that to the professionals and others should to. Service Dogs are considered medical devices and it makes me cringe when people that are not doctors want to play with scalpels on a patient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.