Anyone breeding a "line" of GSDs for service? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeph View Post
Heck, I'd love to see the answer to this, as I'm in the position of needing to find a new candidate myself.
What happened to your young male?
Home of Ch Doll; U-CDx Jag CDX GN RE NAP NJP OA AXJ(ch ptd); and Ch. Fisher (Mr. Evil)
At the Bridge: Ch Kahla CD; Ch Keno UD HSAs OA; Ch Kizzy HSAs RE; Ch Tag CD RAE2; Ch Pharra; Bee PT; Ch Natty; Ch Red the Dachshund
Andaka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

I wish I had all the answers. At this point, with me anyway, I consider what I am doing theory. Till I or anyone else can prove the balance, drive, trainability, workability, nerve, along with a VA it is still theory. I wish it was more than that but I don't feel that it is at this point.
Bottom line, These days I have never seen a WGSL work as well as your typical top working lines however I seen a lot of them that are over the top. While I have seen more balance (for my taste) in the WGSL I also see a lot of areas in the line that is lacking as well.

While Max von Stephaniz- did say “Keep my breed a working dog as I worked all my live to achieve that goal .” He did not say (to the best of my knowledge) it was acceptable to take away from the appearance to do so.

Last edited by SFGSSD; 01-05-2013 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Duplicate quote
SFGSSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph

Quote:
What happened to your young male?
He is still here, but he is not suitable for public access work. Great for sport, terrible for service like this

Strauss: Service dog/old man
Wesson: The soon to be champion
Loch: Service dog in training
Barrett: The Frikken Tikken
Xeph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

There are plenty of high lines working as police service dogs. I have handled them and certify them for departments. I have Czech dogs currently. There are a lot of nervy working lines out there. One has to thoroughly evaluate the dog not the pedigree.
www.nndda.org, Certifying official all fields
www.k9trainingcenters.com
ladylaw203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGSSD View Post
While Max von Stephaniz- did say “Keep my breed a working dog as I worked all my live to achieve that goal .” He did not say (to the best of my knowledge) it was acceptable to take away from the appearance to do so.
If he did say that working ability was more important than appearance, would it change your mind?
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
If he did say that working ability was more important than appearance, would it change your mind?
Here's some quotes from Max.

"The Shepherd dog is a service dog & must be bred as a service dog AND must only be judged as a service dog. With service dogs, suitability ranks higher than beauty: indeed their real beauty and their only nobility consist in their complete adaptability in the arrangement, balancing and coalescence of each & every part."

"The basis of the judgement must be the service which is demanded of the dog: shy, weak-nerved animals are to be marked as injurious to the breed, even as over-bred dogs (oversize) are not true to breed type. In addition: a good shepherd expression, a lively disposition, a long well-knit body suitably proportioned for service, not spongy or bulky, whose form guarantees a stretching out & swift gait, with powers of endurance are among the first qualifications. In the case of bitches, solidity is preferred to beauty...oversize or bitch-like dogs and the fading of color coat are injurious from the point of view of breeding & are to be marked accordingly. Defects in body-build and gait, teeth, jaw, head, ears, tail, haircoat, general coloring, and eye color may exercise an influence in marking. Short, stumpy tailed dogs, albinos are dismissed as harmful to the breed."

"Exaggeration is bad in all circumstances."
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 01:33 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
"Exaggeration is bad in all circumstances." Unless I am misunderstanding this in some way... He want the workability to be a priority but the "Exaggeration"... he means this in both work and appearance of the GSD.
While I agree the "working line" works better it is not the point. The point is that they don't look as good anymore and the "Exaggeration" in that line is producing temperaments that are over the top. For other types of work like Police, MWD, ect. That is great for the most part, till you team a over the top police dog with a inexperienced Police officer as the handler then it can be trouble.
The Exaggeration in Show line is typically the over angulation (Pia is spot on) and temperaments that are too soft and needless to say lower drives, weaker nerve and workability.
What I am looking for in my breeding program is the desired opposite in each line without going down the road of "Exaggeration". I am looking to build on that. When I can build lines that are closer to what I am looking for from the other side. Then an interracial (Or outcross) breeding should be more stable in creating a line that will produce consistency in what your breeding goals are. (Again this is theory and my explanation of this theory is very simplified here)
Freestep, I see you tugging me to the all working line side. Don't think I do not appreciate the qualities the working lines have... I do more than you may know, however the typical temperament IMO is Exaggerated.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:57 AM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylaw203 View Post
There are plenty of high lines working as police service dogs. I have handled them and certify them for departments. I have Czech dogs currently. There are a lot of nervy working lines out there. One has to thoroughly evaluate the dog not the pedigree.
While the pedigree can give you a "GOOD IDEA" of what you are working with, I agree 100% "One has to thoroughly evaluate the dog".
This is more important today than in the past. Pedigree with titles and workability ON PAPER was the basis of a lot of breeding’s. You cannot trust the pedigree like you use to nor does pedigree show TRUE workability in the dog anymore. (Paper titles from dogs that have NEVER seen a trial field are not just isolated cases anymore)
Nice dog BTW I love the all black GSD as well. When I am ready to do an "outcross" it will more than likely be an all black working line GSD
Old 01-07-2013, 02:10 AM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGSSD View Post
While I agree the "working line" works better it is not the point. The point is that they don't look as good anymore and the "Exaggeration" in that line is producing temperaments that are over the top. For other types of work like Police, MWD, ect. That is great for the most part, till you team a over the top police dog with a inexperienced Police officer as the handler then it can be trouble.

There is more than one working line. I think you are talking about sport breeding. Not all working lines are the same; some are better for sport, others are more suited for real work, some can do both.

Quote:
Freestep, I see you tugging me to the all working line side. Don't think I do not appreciate the qualities the working lines have... I do more than you may know, however the typical temperament IMO is Exaggerated.
Quote:
I'm not "tugging" you anywhere, I don't know what bloodlines you are breeding now, since you won't tell us. I started this thread so that you could see how other people are doing it.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 02:30 AM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshepherds View Post
Here's some quotes from Max.
Thank you for posting this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.