Service Dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Service Dog

We are considering adopting Laika as our Service Dog for mobility. My husband has spinal stenosis. She was born in 2005. Do you think her age is an issue. Her health is perfect!!Service Dog-imageuploadedbypg-free1357176779.443262.jpgService Dog-imageuploadedbypg-free1357176814.323838.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Suddenly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Can we have information on pedigree and temperament? I imagine a dog acting as a service dog for a mobility/spinal condition will need to have strict temperament guidelines... I can't imagine the pain of having a dog outdoors with your husband and suddenly get excited over another dog or a squirrel while attached to him somehow... please give more details on the dog?

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

8 could be middle age , with long life ahead in some lines and in others it could be pretty geriatric and nearing the end.
You have to know the background for longevity within the line , within the family .
I see from your other thread that you have not seen the dog yet , so the question is how old is she in the picture .
You want her for a service dog - is she trained and certified for this ?
You have to question the circumstances around her being offered at this age . Was she someones service dog and she was retired because of some issue , or did her person decline in healthy or even decease? If your husband needs physical assistance you don't want to take on a dog that soon will require assistance herself .

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Also, how physically demanding is the service work involved? (E.g., any jumping? pulling heavy objects?) And for how many hours a day will she be doing any physically taxing service work, as opposed to just being good company and doing small tasks?

And by "healthy," have they confirmed her hips and elbows are sound, without arthritis?
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for everyone's concerns and questions. My husband needs for her are to be there with him for balance, he does not fall but finds it hard to walk long distances, and also if he drops something she would be able to pick it up and place it in his hand. He works full time so she would be with me during the days and with him when home from work. When he is working he is sitting during the day. Alittle history there so you have an idea.
She is mobility assistant trained, has her canine citizen title as well as her therapy Dog title. She doe not pull and has fabulous breeding, and in great health. So my question is she was born in 2005 and I was wondering if her age should be an issue?
Happy Nw Year to All.
Any feedback would be great.
Many thanks,
Susan

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Suddenly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You never know what is going to happen. She could be 1 year old and pass away. I dont see why age would be an issue. If she is a trained service dog for what you need her for, Im sure she will do her duty. Untill she can't perform it anymore. GSD is a very loyal dog.

Last edited by Loneforce; 01-02-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 02:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Seems to be some red flags here. 1. The dogs age 2. Service Dogs that are professionally trained are usually retired when they are no longer working for the person they were teamed with. 3. The dog is also a Therapy Dog? Oh boy...

Typical standard procedure form good Service Dog orgs is once the dog can no longer function for it's original disabled partner it is retired and either goes back to the facility that trained them to be rehomed AS A PET or there is a pre-arranged provision in place for what happens to the dog if it can no longer be with it's original partner. In most cases a family member agrees to take continue to care for the dog as a pet. Selling it to someone else as a Service Dog is something that is frowned upon for a lot of reasons.

I second what camspack said as well: "You have to question the circumstances around her being offered at this age . Was she someones service dog and she was retired because of some issue , or did her person decline in healthy or even decease?"
SFGSSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am glad you jumped in on this one Terry
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm curious. If the OP is adopting the dog as a PET dog, but would also like to utilize it's ability to assist her husband at night (when he is home from work) as an added benefit to having a PET at home, would there be a problem?

I understood the post to read the husband wasn't looking for an official service dog, as in a dog for full time usage, but a dog that could assist while he was at home after work. While still enjoying having a PET at home.

I really don't know, I'm asking a question. I've taught my GSD to pick things up for me and hand them to me. Just as something to teach him. He'll also stand still and allow me to 'pretend' to use him for leverage. He isn't a service dog, he just likes to have a job. But wouldn't it be an added benefit if I really needed him to pick something up (say I break my leg, God forbid)?
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Our last GSD passed at age 8 due to an FCE (Fibrocartilaginous Embolism), and at that time they found spinal stenosis in him.
I would be concerned enough to x-ray an 8 yr. old before attempting to use it as a therapy dog expected to help bear a human's weight, as our dog would often be stiff and (presumably) sore in the mornings and after naps.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.