Service Dog - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master Member

I can't answer the age question, but a friend of mine has mobility issues. She bought a Malinois puppy and trained her as her service dog. The dog wears a harness with a large handle attached. Poor girl has been bit twice now by other dogs while working, but she understands her job and does not move an inch!

The harness is very similar to this. Leather Service Dog Harness with rigid handle
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #12 (permalink)

I agree with Lillie

If the dog is in need of a home, not being sold for an exhorbitant amount of money and is physically still in good shape, I don't see the harm in taking her.

However, if she IS being sold as an SD, the age would be a concern for me, because face it, our gsd's at age 8 start to go downhill/and or may have age related health issues popping up. And I would also wonder why the dog is in need of a new home?

First tho, I think you really should go meet the dog, she may not take to you or your husband and vice versa

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

Just to let you know she is not 8yrs. She is 6yrs. She is being donated to us. She is in perfect health and we will take insurance for her. She will help with balance and just in case of a fall. We will have all her health certificates.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Suddenly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
"I like Daffy" Moderator

If she was born in 2005 then she is at least 7 years old. Why is she being rehomed at this age?

I have an 11 year old dog that doesn't look a day over 7. Her litter sister looks and acts like an old dog. You just don't know how she will age. Balance work is hard on a dog's body.
Home of Ch Doll; U-CDx Jag CDX GN RE NAP NJP OA AXJ(ch ptd); and Ch. Fisher (Mr. Evil)
At the Bridge: Ch Kahla CD; Ch Keno UD HSAs OA; Ch Kizzy HSAs RE; Ch Tag CD RAE2; Ch Pharra; Bee PT; Ch Natty; Ch Red the Dachshund
Andaka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
Just to let you know she is not 8yrs. She is 6yrs. She is being donated to us. She is in perfect health and we will take insurance for her. She will help with balance and just in case of a fall. We will have all her health certificates.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
To me, the dogs health is not a as much of a concern as her actual level of competency as a Service Dog at this point. If you do not ever plan to take the dog in public and want the dog as "Just a Pet" that may help at home without big expectation from this dog, thatís one thing, especially if they are donating this dog to you. But I have a feeling you may have more aspirations for this dog. With everything you told us, it is very concerning if you have your hopes up that this dog will function as a Service Dog for you at home as well as in a public access capacity. Rehoming this dog does not follow normal/usual Service Dog facility protocol. I would use extreme caution.

JakodaCD OA is giving great advice in regards to meeting the dog first before you commit to it. Not only to screen bonding or has separation anxiety issued but also to evaluate her actual competency. If possible bring and experienced Service or Working dog trainer with you when you check her out.
SFGSSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneforce View Post
I am glad you jumped in on this one Terry
Thanks Jerry.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGSSD View Post
To me, the dogs health is not a as much of a concern as her actual level of competency as a Service Dog at this point. If you do not ever plan to take the dog in public and want the dog as "Just a Pet" that may help at home without big expectation from this dog, thatís one thing, especially if they are donating this dog to you. But I have a feeling you may have more aspirations for this dog. With everything you told us, it is very concerning if you have your hopes up that this dog will function as a Service Dog for you at home as well as in a public access capacity. Rehoming this dog does not follow normal/usual Service Dog facility protocol. I would use extreme caution.

JakodaCD OA is giving great advice in regards to meeting the dog first before you commit to it. Not only to screen bonding or has separation anxiety issued but also to evaluate her actual competency. If possible bring and experienced Service or Working dog trainer with you when you check her out.
Sorry for the typo's my post should read:
To me, the dogs health is not a as much of a concern as her actual level of competency as a Service Dog at this point. If you do not ever plan to take the dog in public and want the dog as "Just a Pet" that may help at home, without big expectation from this dog, thatís one thing, especially if they are donating this dog to you. But I have a feeling you may have more aspirations for this dog. With everything you told us, it is very concerning if you have your hopes up that this dog will function as a Service Dog for you at home as well as in a public access capacity. Rehoming this dog does not follow normal/usual Service Dog facility protocol. I would use extreme caution.

JakodaCD OA is giving great advice in regards to meeting the dog first before you commit to it. Not only to screen bonding or if the dog has separation anxiety issues but also to evaluate her actual competency. If possible bring an experienced Service or Working dog trainer with you when you check her out.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
My husband needs for her are to be there with him for balance, he does not fall but finds it hard to walk long distances, and also if he drops something she would be able to pick it up and place it in his hand. He works full time so she would be with me during the days and with him when home from work.
The type of work (and amount of time spent working) doesn't sound like too much to expect from a dog this age.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Ė Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGSSD View Post
2. Service Dogs that are professionally trained are usually retired when they are no longer working for the person they were teamed with. 3. The dog is also a Therapy Dog? Oh boy...
2 - Unless their person can no longer use them. Maybe the person died, or their disabilities changed in such a way that the dog no longer met their needs.

3 - What is wrong with a dog being a Service Dog AND a Therapy Dog??
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Ė Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
3 - What is wrong with a dog being a Service Dog AND a Therapy Dog??
Nothing. Earlier this past year I posted of one of the larger national organizations changing their long standing policy of allowing SD to test and be registered with their organization as a therapy dog.

Warning to anyone posting on this .... this could become a hot topic. So I'm giving a heads up to remember our rules.

Karl's Kids Program Inc Animal Services 2000
ADAP Facebook
ADAP Blog
Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
Putnam County Emergency Animal Support/Pet-Friendly Evacuation Shelters
Gov. Agency Member of FL State Agricultural Response Team
ILGHAUS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.