therapy dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default therapy dog

In about 6-8 more months" I'm getting shadow to be a therapy dog ! She is smart, obedient, caring and I know she can do it !

I decided this when I started training her, I seen her confidence build up especially after using the prong. As continuing to use the prong, in about a couple months she will be ready!
kelina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
jae
Master Member

My trainer certifies therapy dogs and CGC. You can test both at the same time but I am pretty sure CGC is a requirement as well as the dog being at least 12 months old.

She thinks that my dog is a perfect candidate for therapy as he is comfortable with every piece of equipment she has brought out during puppy class as well as loud noises and he does not jump or over react to strangers. Is friendly to every dog and human and has never shown aggression that I or she has ever seen. One thing she noted when I was trying prongs for trainin is that if you use a prong during the test, the score must e perfect or fail. I rarely use prong but just saying. Keep working on obedience and confidence and your dog will do well!
jae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

I don't know about the regulations surrounding use of the prong in CGC testing but I do know that therapy dog oranizations in Canada will not permit use of a prong during visiting for fear of the elderly injuring their hands while interacting with dogs. Their skin is very fragile and many are taking anti-coagulants which make them bleed easily.

Quinn, Mar. 8/2007
Shadow, 1995-2007, always in my heart
Quinnsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

I actually read the regs for the CGC test today and you are not allowed to use a prong collar, it must be a buckle or slip collar - FYI

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Kdrees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Im not gonna use a prong when gettin her certified. I have to wait until she knows how to walk better thats when I will take her to get certified..

My pup is already 6 months, so I said I have to wait 6-8 months.

And thanks a lot Jae! You should get your dog
Old 11-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Just a note...TDI certification is more like an insurance policy than the title of "therapy dog." We have a lot of dogs at our club that go to schools and retirement communities without it because its like a $40 fee every year for pretty much liability insurance that your dog won't scratch someone.

I'm not trying to say you don't need to get the certification, but most places could care less and don't ask for those things anyways. They just kind of expect that you won't bring a dangerous dog into a group of children or elderly people.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

do you think you need the help of a professional trainer? how
do you know your dog can be a therapy dog? do you know
what kind of training your dog needs to become a therapy
dog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelina View Post
In about 6-8 more months" I'm getting shadow to be a therapy dog ! She is smart, obedient, caring and I know she can do it !

I decided this when I started training her, I seen her confidence build up especially after using the prong. As continuing to use the prong, in about a couple months she will be ready!
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
do you think you need the help of a professional trainer? how
do you know your dog can be a therapy dog? do you know
what kind of training your dog needs to become a therapy
dog?
Yes I know the trainings. I do know she can be. Im confident in myself, so unless I feel like I need one then sure.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
Just a note...TDI certification is more like an insurance policy than the title of "therapy dog." We have a lot of dogs at our club that go to schools and retirement communities without it because its like a $40 fee every year for pretty much liability insurance that your dog won't scratch someone.

I'm not trying to say you don't need to get the certification, but most places could care less and don't ask for those things anyways. They just kind of expect that you won't bring a dangerous dog into a group of children or elderly people.
Seriously :O
Old 11-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Therapy dog is just an obedient, calm, confident dog. It's just a certification that says your dog can go places like shelters, schools, retirement homes, ect. and make people feel better with its presence. I don't want to down play it but it's really something a well behaved, highly obedient dog can do. It is difficult to do it when the dog is young though so props to OP for doing it that young.

I'm pretty sure you cannot do the test with a prong collar on. Or pretty much any correction collar. It is usually done on a flat collar right along the CGC. Not sure who gave you the information that with a prong they would need a perfect score but its is pretty much like an AKC trial...no prongs allowed.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.